Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 6:18:16 PM EST
I'm thinking after recent events in Japan that us coastal folks will face some seriously packed interstates if we ever try to escape a tidal wave. So I'm thinking the xterra may need an armored bumper that could nudge broken down vehicles out of the way in the event of a SHTF kind of interstate escape. Also, with all of the heavy ammo and gear we'd be loading out on top of that heavy steel bumper, an uprated suspension might be in order. Anybody done these kind of mods to your BOV?

Not mine (stock photo)...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:34:40 PM EST
Google "expedition vehicle"

Made for long range, self sustained overland travel. They generally have winches, heavy duty suspensions, bumpers, snorkels and the like.

My in progress version of one.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:11:36 PM EST
I have the Shrockworks sliders and plan to replace both bumpers and buy all of their skid plates. If I am remebering correctly, Paul has the full setup and had to do a minor upgrade to his front suspension.

However, it is low on my priority list, too many other scenarios are likely to occur first.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:40:13 PM EST
I have a custom built Monster bumper on mine. I designed the prerunner bar for it, sent them the specs and they did it up for me.
bumper is made up of 1/4 and 1/2 in plate steel. i'v hit 2 deer with it since being installed. one at 60 and one at 70, no damage.
I think an off road suspension and an armored bumper is a great asset in a BOV.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:45:04 PM EST
Is that a fabtech kit on the avalanch? One of the offroad magazines spent a couple years building up and running an avalanch. I can probably find the info if you are interested.

Anyone interested in this thread shoulf look at expeditionportal.com be prepared to spend money.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:52:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By JohnWillis:
Is that a fabtech kit on the avalanch? One of the offroad magazines spent a couple years building up and running an avalanch. I can probably find the info if you are interested.

Anyone interested in this thread shoulf look at expeditionportal.com be prepared to spend money.

yup, 6 inch Fabtech lift. i'v seen it, have the issues someplace
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:20:46 AM EST
Isnt an Exterra a little light to be nugging other vehicles out of the way. How much do they weigh and what size engine
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:39:34 AM EST
Ac 1,

When it comes to the "X", Shrock Works is the place to go for upgrades to your bumpers and sliders. They cost, but the fit and quality are hard to beat. I have a set of their sliders on my 03 Series I "X", and they are great. No longer have to worry about lift points for my high lift jack, as you can lift at any point on the sliders. Front bumper is on order.

When I was rigging my X for towing, could not find a set of frame stiffeners anywhere. Nissan no longer makes them and two of the aftermarket manufacturers stopped making them last year. Gave Shrock Works a call, and they made me up a set that are better than factory. Wiring harness for the trailer was another problem, as it too is out of production. Found a shop out of Florida that made one, but it has to be spliced in as opposed to the factory plug in set up. Oh well, when you choose to drive an older vehicle, sometimes you just have to suck it up.

On my list for next year is the Shrock Works expedition roof rack. The price makes my heart skip a beat, but I have not found anything out there that holds a candle to it. Skid plates are more available, and from different manufacturers. Rock Rated as well as Shrock Works both make skid plates in various configurations for the X. Extra leaf springs to stiffen the suspension are also available from a bunch of different manufacturers. A leaf spring is a leaf spring, so upgrades in this area are perhaps your easiest to find.

Fording kits are out there as well. I think I saw one on the Rock Ready site, and my local 4 X 4 shop has them as well. I am not really thinking about adding one as I do not see myself doing much "wet work". Of course once all the other work is done, I might reconsider, they are kinda cool looking. And ultimately, once you start goofing around with your ride, it becomes addictive. Gets kind of hard to stop.

stasiman
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:52:30 AM EST
If I had to push vehicles out of the way, I'd secure some old tires to the front of my car before a heavy bumper fixed to the frame. Although both would be preferable.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:52:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By doom21:
Isnt an Exterra a little light to be nugging other vehicles out of the way. How much do they weigh and what size engine

The 2000-2004 Xterras weigh in about 5500 pounds

In 4low I would not have a problem pushing most cars out of the way.

ARB bumper but like others here have said Shrockworks is the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:06:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Accomplice1:
I'm thinking after recent events in Japan that us coastal folks will face some seriously packed interstates if we ever try to escape a tidal wave. So I'm thinking the xterra may need an armored bumper that could nudge broken down vehicles out of the way in the event of a SHTF kind of interstate escape. Also, with all of the heavy ammo and gear we'd be loading out on top of that heavy steel bumper, an uprated suspension might be in order. Anybody done these kind of mods to your BOV?

Your X-Terra is built with a crumple zone to protect you in the event of a crash. This crumple zone is not able to think and determine if you are in a crash or are "nudging" another vehicle. The cruple zone is built into the frame, so hanging a big steel bumper on the frame of your X-Terra will only transfer damage to the frame of your truck.

Just a detail for your consideration.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:23:38 AM EST
There is a big difference between nudging/pushing a vehicle and being in an impact.

Any "newer" vehicle will have crumple zones but you do not see that being an issue with your Dodge/Ford/Government Motors so it will not be an issue with your Xterra.

FYI.. it is Xterra NOT X-terra or Exterra

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:04:18 AM EST
For pushing cars out of the way, any off-road/expedition bumper would not be ideal IMO. They are designed to A) hold a winch, B) decrease approach angles. This means they are high and tight, and generally on a lifted vehicle.

If you attempt to push any midsize or smaller car out of the way, chances are your bumper is going to act as a ramp and you are just going to drive on top of it.

For fast(ish) removal, a vehicle without airbags and a low, solid bumper are the way to go. For slower removal, a winch and/or solid snatch points would be the best option.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:45:55 AM EST
Im Working one turning m jeep from a trail vehicle to being more of an expedition rig . The poster above has a good point about the bumper hieght but keeping the rig as an modest build will help keep it streetable and may prevent you from going over . which its ok to go over to but it can get right technical running over vehicles unless you have a BIG size advantage then theres always a chance of th folding/ripping sheet metal might cut a tire. Me and my friend have ran over a few cars in our younger days , it works better if you are alot wider or alot narrower then the car your going over.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:06:29 AM EST
List of things I plan on doing to my cherokee..

Swap out front low pinion D30 for high pinion
swap out rear D35 for chryco 8.25" or ford 8.8"
regear to 4.56
selectable front locker
rear locker
upgraded axle shafts
rear disc brakes(conversion with chryco 8.25", 8.8" already equipped)
possible conversion to grand cherokee brake booster and MC setup
4.5" long arm suspension lift
33" tires and 15" steel rims(currently on 16" alloys)
front winch bumper
rear bumper with spare tire carrier/hi lift mount/gas can mount
better skid plates
rock sliders with 2" receiver hitch mounts
upgrade transmission cooler
add oil cooler and power steering cooler
upgrade fuel injectors
hood vents
small roof rack
upgrade headlights and add offroad lighting
onboard air compressor
dual battery setup
some type of long gun rack/mount or something like a truck vault(get both?)
likely swap from the NV242 t-case to an NV231 with HD SYE
considering building a 4.6L stroker
considering adding a Premier onboard welder
possibly eliminate mechanical fan and waterpump for electric versions.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:23:07 AM EST
Older pic-

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:45:27 AM EST

Are those Easter eggs on the bumper?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:34:03 AM EST
Yes they are Easter eggs on my bumper
My youngest daughter "hid" them there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:26:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By adi:
For pushing cars out of the way, any off-road/expedition bumper would not be ideal IMO. They are designed to A) hold a winch, B) decrease approach angles. This means they are high and tight, and generally on a lifted vehicle.

If you attempt to push any midsize or smaller car out of the way, chances are your bumper is going to act as a ramp and you are just going to drive on top of it.

For fast(ish) removal, a vehicle without airbags and a low, solid bumper are the way to go. For slower removal, a winch and/or solid snatch points would be the best option.

Don't see a problem with that

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:05:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 11:23:05 AM EST by ManNamedJed]
Originally Posted By machinisttx:
List of things I plan on doing to my cherokee..

Swap out front low pinion D30 for high pinion
swap out rear D35 for chryco 8.25" or ford 8.8"
regear to 4.56
selectable front locker
rear locker
upgraded axle shafts
rear disc brakes(conversion with chryco 8.25", 8.8" already equipped)
possible conversion to grand cherokee brake booster and MC setup
4.5" long arm suspension lift
33" tires and 15" steel rims(currently on 16" alloys)
front winch bumper
rear bumper with spare tire carrier/hi lift mount/gas can mount
better skid plates
rock sliders with 2" receiver hitch mounts
upgrade transmission cooler
add oil cooler and power steering cooler
upgrade fuel injectors
hood vents
small roof rack
upgrade headlights and add offroad lighting
onboard air compressor
dual battery setup
some type of long gun rack/mount or something like a truck vault(get both?)
likely swap from the NV242 t-case to an NV231 with HD SYE
considering building a 4.6L stroker
considering adding a Premier onboard welder
possibly eliminate mechanical fan and waterpump for electric versions.

I've done a lot of this to my cherokee. I went with 4.10 gears. I have an OX locker front, Dana 44 rear with limited slip. Alloy axle upgrade in front. The WJ grand cherokee booster upgrade is excellent, I certainly recommend it. Changing the stock 8" electric fan to a 12" aftermarket is a nice upgrade - add a manual switch while you are at it.

Dual battery is tough in the cherokee, not a lot of extra room in the engine compartment. I did one on my CJ and really like it though.

TO the OP questions - bumpers can certainly give you some extra confidence in a situation like you describe. However they can are expensive, make your mileage go down, and sag your suspension. My jeep settled 1" after adding bumpers.

My BOV/expedition vehicle. It will get a bit larger long arm lift and 33" tires this summer
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:35:48 AM EST
Where ya'll B'O to???
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:56:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 11:57:47 AM EST by NoStockBikes]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Where ya'll B'O to???

Bug out? What? Oh, that's right. Yes, bugging out. Very serious business, need to do this to my 4x4 so I'll be able to escape the tsunamis of MN.*

*caption for the sarcasm impaired. Building up a truck would be a blast. I need to come up with a good enough reason to justify it. I have a truck that sees few miles nowadays, pretty much just gets used for plowing in the winter. It's a good candidate for silly large tires and the like that would make it a poor daily driver. Now I just need money.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:18:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:21:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Where ya'll B'O to???

Bug out? What? Oh, that's right. Yes, bugging out. Very serious business, need to do this to my 4x4 so I'll be able to escape the tsunamis of MN.*

*caption for the sarcasm impaired. Building up a truck would be a blast. I need to come up with a good enough reason to justify it. I have a truck that sees few miles nowadays, pretty much just gets used for plowing in the winter. It's a good candidate for silly large tires and the like that would make it a poor daily driver. Now I just need money.

no, no tsunamis in MN....but when the snow on the road is up to here on my truck, your truck isnt going anywhere.

oh, and my truck is a daily driver, has been since I bought it brand new in 2002(lifted at 100 miles)
works great as a daily driver. 18mpg highway 12mpg city. an offroad suspension handles very well on road too.
there have been many situations over the years that I have had to rely on the enhanced capability's of my truck.
like getting my grandma inlaw to the hospital when she had a stroke during a big snow storm a few years ago.
18inches of snow on the road+30mph winds. plows were pulled, ambulances service suspended. I made the 25 mile trip into town just fine.

A BOV isnt just for getting to the hills when the world ends.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:55:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By J75player:
Where ya'll B'O to???

no, no tsunamis in MN....but when the snow on the road is up to here on my truck, your truck isnt going anywhere.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/J75player/truck/0107111512.jpg
oh, and my truck is a daily driver, has been since I bought it brand new in 2002(lifted at 100 miles)
works great as a daily driver. 18mpg highway 12mpg city. an offroad suspension handles very well on road too.
there have been many situations over the years that I have had to rely on the enhanced capability's of my truck.
like getting my grandma inlaw to the hospital when she had a stroke during a big snow storm a few years ago.
18inches of snow on the road+30mph winds. plows were pulled, ambulances service suspended. I made the 25 mile trip into town just fine.

That's what my plow's for!
I do want to pimp out my truck that way, I just didn't want to do it when it was getting driven 800 miles a week on the freeways, pulling 30' campers, etc. Now that it's semi-retired... I think it might just end up getting cool. My truck is an '02 as well (Chevy Crew Cab 2500HD Dmax) I see above that it's a 6" lift, what size are the tires? Also, how many miles are on it now? I worry a little bit about sacrificing reliability for the off-road functionality, but I don't know if that has merit, or if that's an old stereotype. My truck has about 190k miles on it, but now it's seeing about 5k per year.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:04:58 PM EST
I's start with rock sliders and a rear locker. That will probably get you through over 3/4 of pretty serious rock crawling/off-roading.

A decent bumper with an integrated winch is nice after that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:26:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 7:38:43 PM EST by J75player]

Originally Posted By J75player:
Where ya'll B'O to???

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/J75player/truck/0107111512.jpg

That's what my plow's for!
I do want to pimp out my truck that way, I just didn't want to do it when it was getting driven 800 miles a week on the freeways, pulling 30' campers, etc. Now that it's semi-retired... I think it might just end up getting cool. My truck is an '02 as well (Chevy Crew Cab 2500HD Dmax) I see above that it's a 6" lift, what size are the tires? Also, how many miles are on it now? I worry a little bit about sacrificing reliability for the off-road functionality, but I don't know if that has merit, or if that's an old stereotype. My truck has about 190k miles on it, but now it's seeing about 5k per year.

has almost 160K on it right now. would be alot more but last time gas went up I could justify buying a motorcycle to commute. and we also bought a bonniville last year and have put 30k on it already.
tires are 315-75-R16 basicly a 35". I have been very happy with the Fabtech lift system. it manages to maintain almost the factory drive angles in everything but the rear Ujoint. I uselly have to replace that every couple of years. but its an easy,quick job to do. shouldnt take you much longer then changing the oil. other then the rear Ujoint, the only other thing i have broke is a couple of sway bar links, and thats mostly because of the liquid salt they use on the roads up here in the winter.

oh, ETA, ya can still tow lifted

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:41:50 PM EST
Swamp_Fighter - Where did you get your front bumper from?
Top Top