Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 8:03:34 PM EDT
Really though.

If you are buggin in what do you do for human waste management?  Where I live if the power goes down so does water supply.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My toilet uses 1.6 gal / flush....so with a 55 gal water drum I'd get ~34 flushes?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Biodegradable trashbags, a bag of quicklime and a 5 gallon bucket is a pretty good solution if you can dig a hole.

If you live in a rural area, disposing of waste is a little easier, but quicklime is still a pretty good idea.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Use the waste to dip your punji sticks in it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Assuming your sewage system is no longer working...  Bedside Commode  with a 5 gallon bucket beneath the hole.  Line the bucket with leakproof plastic bag.  Add quicklime, and sawdust or kitty litter after each use.   Put lid on bucket between uses.  Tie off and replace the bags before they get too full.  Hope event ends before BOL fills with waste-filled bags.  Under no circumstances throw bags on the porches of unprepared neighbors who were condescending to you prior to the event but are now starving.

You can get a commode pretty cheap off Craig's List or from Goodwill.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Our hot tub gives is ~350 gallons of gray water for flushing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Our hot tub gives is ~350 gallons of gray water for flushing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, darn good idea there if you have one you keep filled most of the time. I don't, but my primary bug in (out really, but it's a move of about a mile to consolidate family) has a small one that's not normally filled. I'll have to remember to suggest filling it in advance if there's any likely issue.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]
well pump and septic pump both run off the genny...

saving for a solar array so fuel isnt an issue..
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Really though.

If you are buggin in what do you do for human waste management?  Where I live if the power goes down so does water supply.

Dig a whole in the back yard !!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Once the sewage treatment plant stops working eventually your sewage lines will stop draining.  Might be a good idea to remove the clean-out cover outside your house and invert a coffee can over it.  Better to have the mess outside than in when the lines back up.

Of course, if you are on a home septic system in good repair the toilets will flush until you run out of water to flush them.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm.. what happens in urban/suburban areas if the power goes out for an extended time?? Does the sewage just bypass the sewage treatment plant and just go into the river etc  or does it start backing up into homes or what??
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hmmm.. what happens in urban/suburban areas if the power goes out for an extended time?? Does the sewage just bypass the sewage treatment plant and just go into the river etc  or does it start backing up into homes or what??

I have a friend who lives in an area that has lifting stations for his neighborhood to get the sewage to the treatment facility.  When the station goes down there have been instances of backflow into houses.   It flows up into drains, bathtubs, sinks, toilets, etc.  

If you are lucky, you live at the top of the hill instead of at the base.  Remember, it flows downhill.

I learned the inverted coffee can trick from him.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really though.

Does it have to be a whole, or can it be a half?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My sister took in a family who had turds and sewage coming up through their sink drains after hurricane Rita. This was two weeks after the storm. My solution is a 5 Gal bucket with one of those toilet lid seats made to snap on top and a roll of kitchen garbage bags. Take a dump and throw in some lime, when it starts to get ripe, bury in the woods. Any way, that's my plan. The bucket is also in my bug out gear so if we have to hit the road it'll go with us.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
As any cat rancher can attest, a 20 pound bag of kitty litter and a 100-pack of plastic trash bags are all ya really need...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As any cat rancher can attest, a 20 pound bag of kitty litter and a 100-pack of plastic trash bags are all ya really need...

Thats my plan, of course I really hate being on city sewer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:00:48 AM EDT
[#16]
It's called a Latrine.

HERE

AND HERE

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:04:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Where do you get biodegradable trash bags?

Do they still stop liquids from leaking out?

Where do you get quicklime?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#19]
During the east coast black out a few years ago, the treatment plants in downtown detroit shut down. This caused a sewage backup for the sorounding cities. The local goverment BEGGED people not to use any excessive water after the power came back for a couple days (Laundry, dishes, etc).

Our power was out for less than 17 hours and not only did the infrastructure breakdown almost immidietley but so did people morals. Plan accordingly
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#20]

day 6 of "TSHTF"

belly/bowels- ARGHhh,,uMMPhh,,squuueaakkk...fart....

protus-
damn MRE's and freeze dried...

belly/guts-  sqeeauuuakkk....UUrummmPP....moooannnn

protus- oh damn...ARGGH,,I cant get my line 2 off..uGhh...

wife and kid-

WTH is wrong with you.

belly–– ARGGHHHHuuuummmmsoooooeaaUUUKkkkk....fart...fart..FART...

protus-  WHO THE HELL POUNDED THE BUCKET LID BACK ON TIGHT>>ARRGGghhhh

wife-
I dunno

day 7

protus- honey do we have any more laundry soap....

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/toilet.jpg

Non-Electric Excel Composting Toilet
Indoor Toilets No Matter How Remote
The success of the Excel design meant that a three chamber unit could be specifically designed for those with NO continuous 110 volt supply. First launched in 1981, the Excel NE has long been the standard toilet for those living off the grid. A 1998 redesign gave the unit a rounded look, and recessed the drum handle.

Link

Pricey but could be handy.

Also plans for a toilet and even the complete "humanure composting handbook" can be found online. for free. I have my copy. I also bought a paper copy. Figured it was one of those things that had to be taken care of regardless. Any electronic media or artical that I really like I either buy or print for a hard cop, if and when, but hopefully not, needed. I also have a book about outhouses and how to maintain them. If I remember I will dig it out and get the name and author.

For short time outages and or camping, we have a 6 gallon bucket from emergency essentials, a clamp out toilet seat, double duty bags with enezimes, and a pop up tent IE the "privy potty". My daughter was gagging at the outhouse in the uintah mountians, there was no way she was going to potty there, she was just barely potty trained so I picked one of these system up for maybe 60 for everything including a few dozen bags (they were half off) and she uses it with no issues. Still potty trained..... THANK GOD.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Composting poop is pretty basic.  
Poop is the nitrogen,  you need carbon mixed with it,  that would be dried leaves, wood chips, shredded newspaper, shredded cardboard, etc.    But,  anything mixed in will help,  grass clippings , dirt, anything.   The backyard latrine is pretty easy to do-doo.      

Storytime:  My buddy was going to throw away an old tattered 3 man tent that had seen it's better days....so he brought it on one of our mountain camp-outs,  once there, he cut out the tent floor.  Dug a hole.   A whole-hole.   Took an old canvas lawn chair,  cut the center part of the seat out of it,   viola!!    Early-american portable camping outhouse!!    Everyone had a good laugh as he completed it, while we sat around the campfire with beer roasting hotdogs.   The next day,  no one was laughing,  one-by-one they visited the  "little-poo-tent-on-the prairie".

As long as I can get water (worst case = hike down to the creek) I can flush due to being on a septic system.

For long term SHTF,  I plan on collecting rainwater in barrels, high ground level, pipe into a sand filter, then run a garden hose to the bathroom in the basement,  isolate the cold line,  hook it up,  for a gravity fed supply to sink and toilet.  
Will further filter and boil the tap water for drinking and cooking,  but for hand washing and flushing the sand filtered stuff should be good enough.

If you can determine you are on a pure gravity municipal system,  you may be able to manually flush into the system,  however, unless you verify it,  your flushed waste may end up in someone's basement, even your own,  via an overflowed drain or toilet.   yuck.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I have an arobic system that runs a small ?motor? 24/7,(which I HATE, drain on my elec bill)
IF TSHTF for days or weeks, anyone know if the system can be run for a day or two, shut down for a week, repeat while under generator power only>?

secondly, whynot just put bags in your curren commode, 10gal trash, and removed as needed, buried in your compost pit? those in the Urban areas,,

glad Im not you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#24]
When I went to pick up some MREs the other day the guy working at the shop was hurting you could tell. He goes "Why the hell did I eat that chicken enchilada MRE?"

I about lost it. In all seriousness though, depending on the length of the event, you could use the bucket toilets mentioned above, long term I would fashion an outhouse.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Agreed about the outhouse/latrine,

Folks, trust me on this,  if you are indoors, without means of a lot of ventilation you need a way to flush, dispose, or seal the waste in a container.   otherwise, by day 2,  it will be so vile and rank you will want to heave your guts.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Where do you get biodegradable trash bags?

Do they still stop liquids from leaking out?

Where do you get quicklime?

Wal Mart has them in the camping section, along with granules that will turn liquid waste into a "gel", and help deodorize it.  I like a 6 gallon bucket with a snap-on toilet seat & cover.  The outdoor latrine should be your longer term option.  Instead of burying (unless its an OPSEC thing), I would burn waste in a cut down 55 gallon drum.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks goodness I have a septic tank, a 5,000 gallon pool, and live next to a canal.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Top of the ridge here. I have a 50 gallon black tank on the camper. I have a 8'x8' hot tub for flushing water. I have a well in the back yard(neighbors). I have access to 8000 gallons of water that are on wheels, and may need to be safely monitored my a Fire Officer. I have 5 gallon buckets, 100's of wal-mart/dollar store bags, 120 pounds of powered lime, and about 20-25 bottles of the blue concentrate for the camper toilet.

Worst case I use buckets and bags, dig hole with utility post hole diggers, fill with poo and lime. I have one of those inflatable sewer stops as well, and some spray expand foam just in case I need to block the city sewer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#29]
The easier permanent thing to do is to install a pop up relief valve in place of the cleanout.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:I have one of those inflatable sewer stops as well, and some spray expand foam just in case I need to block the city sewer.

Some details please.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:I have one of those inflatable sewer stops as well, and some spray expand foam just in case I need to block the city sewer.

Some details please.  

Quoted:
The easier permanent thing to do is to install a pop up relief valve in place of the cleanout.

Yes.  I'm not a plumber, nor do I play one on TV.  And I didn't even get to stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Details on both of these please.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/toilet.jpg

Non-Electric Excel Composting Toilet
Indoor Toilets No Matter How Remote
The success of the Excel design meant that a three chamber unit could be specifically designed for those with NO continuous 110 volt supply. First launched in 1981, the Excel NE has long been the standard toilet for those living off the grid. A 1998 redesign gave the unit a rounded look, and recessed the drum handle.

Link

Pricey but could be handy.

Damn, that is one expensive shitter!  If I follow through with my plans for a bug out cabin, I may look ino this option.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a pond behind my house. Strain the water and it could easily be used to flush the toilets with. I figure that will save my good water for drinking, cooking, cleaning, etc. Other option would be to collect rain water.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Thats why I save my walmart plastic bags, I will double them up.  Actually I am going to use a 5 gallon plastic bucket for my toilet nr2.
Use 2 bags to collect the excrement in, then tie them up as I do when I pick up my dog's crap.  Place them in one large outside
container/barrel.  I guess do what the army does burn it.  Any suggestions on this.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Eat MRE's that will solve your problem.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#36]
yes, outhouse is the way to go.

A decent latrine can be constructed pretty easily out of some scrap wood, tin, roofing materials, whatever you can scrounge.  Even an old tent can serve as an outhouse structure.  There are tons of construction plan on the web.

Biggest things to consider is preventing contamination of drinking water/food and general hygiene...I have seen systems that are designed to use trenches or collection via garbage cans - the trenches and cans were then doused with diesel or gas and set afire once in a while to burn clean.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thats why I save my walmart plastic bags, I will double them up.  Actually I am going to use a 5 gallon plastic bucket for my toilet nr2.
Use 2 bags to collect the excrement in, then tie them up as I do when I pick up my dog's crap.  Place them in one large outside
container/barrel.  I guess do what the army does burn it.  Any suggestions on this.

|Here's a pretty good description:  http://www.bravecannons.org/SBD.html

And the obligatory health warning PDF:  http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/documents/FACT/65-036-0503.pdf

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some details please.  

Quoted:

Yes.  I'm not a plumber, nor do I play one on TV.  And I didn't even get to stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Details on both of these please.

Relief valve info

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Sanitary sewer primer- Sewage systems are all gravity flow, until they reach a low point & have to be pumped up to a higher point (lift station) & then to the treatment plant. Some segments of the sewer line are pumped from point A to B, but there are no service connections on these lines (force main)

the line (lateral) going from the sewer main in the city right of way (either street or alley, or just an easment) to your house is yours to maintain & keep clean.

Yes, you can get backed up if the main gets full or clogged. Most laterals (line from main to your house) are 4"-6" in diameter at a minimum 1% grade (codes vary);  For any reason you suspect a potential backup, find the cleanout, make a plug from rags wired in a bundle & SECURLEY attatch a rope or other retrival line. This will plug your line from getting backed up into. Try & insert this homead plug at least 6-8" into the downstream end of the lateral (towards the main) There will not be pressure like a water line, cause there'd have to be alot of turds pushing uphill to get past. Be sure not to pack it too tight or you'll play hell getting it out. Don't let anyone know you're doing this.

Construction crews use inflatable plugs that seal the line watertight, but these are expensive & you need a compressor at the point of installation to use these.

I have an aerobic septic; like a previous poster said, you need to keep the aerator pump bubbling so the bugs don't die, and then pump the grey water when the tank is full. This takes a hella genny, so I'm gonna use the ole' bucket, lime & bag trick. Lugable Loo is one I've seen; Cabelas hasem' around $30, IIRC.

If it ever comes to having to do this, craping in comfort may be the last thing to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#40]
This comes up so often it should be a sticky

humanure, bucket, (one for each person) ,leaves or shredded paper, grass clippings. etc...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If it ever comes to having to do this, craping in comfort may be the last thing to worry about.

I'm not Earl Butz nor his target ethnic group, but I do appreciate having a comfortable place to do my business.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really though.

Does it have to be a whole, or can it be a half?

Say ................. Quit picken on Red Necks ..........OK its " hole " !!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Some details please.

plugs

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Eat MRE's that will solve your problem.

That's no lie, MRE really means Meals Refusing to Exit.

Makes you go like tthis when its time......
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#46]
The Luggable Loo is simple and inexpensive.  It has "Doodie" bags that store the waste; some of the bags ("Double Doodie") have a chemical in them that controls the smell and solidifies the liquid waste.  I have used the Loo camping a few times and thought it worked well.  The toilet and bags can be purchased at Cabela's, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a friend who lives in an area that has lifting stations for his neighborhood to get the sewage to the treatment facility.  When the station goes down there have been instances of backflow into houses.   It flows up into drains, bathtubs, sinks, toilets, etc.  

If you are lucky, you live at the top of the hill instead of at the base.  Remember, it flows downhill.

I learned the inverted coffee can trick from him.

Explanation please????

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top