Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2012 6:38:35 PM EDT
This might not be the correct forum for this, but here goes.... TV reception:

I am 46 (the closest one) to 60+ miles away from the closest TV stations all in a general northwest area, I have installed a 58 inch boom 25-elment VHF/UHF antenna on a j-mount on the highest point of my house (18.5 ft). Of course this greatly increased my reception over the rabbit ears, however, the antenna is limited in height by a very large tree branch. Even though the antenna mount is solid, during high winds the signal on the farthest stations (UHF mostly) will become weak and will pixelate and lose signal. I have already installed the best coax (shortest distance) and a amp which feeds into my old cable distro box that already has coax to every room in the house (this improved reception on long cable runs). I have even installed a second coax, feeding directly from the antenna (no splitter) to a TV as close to the antenna as possible (19 feet to be exact) and still have the same problem as stated above, only in winds over 10mph +/-.

Question is, will upgrading to a 120inch boom or bigger get rid of the pix-elation during windy conditions? the 85 inch boom antenna's are $100 plus, and I don't want to spend a lot of money for no performance increase as I use direct TV  primarily, but enjoy the OTA stations. Is there anything else I can do, short of moving the antenna to a better (higher) location that will fix this problem?

Sorry if this topic is not allowed in the HAM forum, I figured you guys best know UHF/VHF / antenna problems.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Is your antenna on a rotator or fixed in one direction?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is your antenna on a rotator or fixed in one direction?

Fixed in one direction (at 320 degrees), most of my stations are located between 280 and 340 degrees. My antenna rotator broke after the last big tropical storm and I don't want to spend another $100 bucks on a new one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
60 degrees is too wide of a spacing for a high gain antenna to cover.

Wind is probably just moving the antenna around a bit, enough to lose the marginal signal on whichever station you are looking at.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Gamma is right. Try turning the antenna a few degrees toward the station you are having trouble with, see if it helps. Chexk Craigs List for cheap TV antenna rotors.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree, you'll need a rotor, or, if the stations you're trying to receive are in two major areas, you could use two antennas and an A-B switch.

I'm guessing you've looked them up on www.tvfool.com?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#6]
yea, I used the tvfool.com to locate the stations.

I  think I will start looking for a used antenna rotator. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

a little known "archived" factoid:
I too initially visted the Ham Forum asking questions about OTA antennas and extending wi-fi....now I'm a ham too!
of course that don't beat Picollo looking for a piece of furniture and winding up an Extra Class Operator....
stick around :)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too initially visted the Ham Forum asking questions about OTA antennas and extending wi-fi....now I'm a ham too!
of course that don't beat Picollo looking for a piece of furniture and winding up an Extra Class Operator....

Now that's a story I'd like to hear.  

Vulcan94

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that's a story I'd like to hear.

Vulcan94

OP sorry for the hijack:

OK, you asked for it...

Part 1

4 days later

Day 6

It only took 7 days.....1 week...now that is some Peer Pressure

16 Days from HGTV Room Makeover to General Ticket

found lots of fun reading with an archive search

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top