Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 6:48:20 PM EDT
I have a friend that is a farmer, we were talking last night about me buying shelled corn for LTS. Another friend from the board brought up what type of corn he has? A good thought, which I hadn't considered.

Hey, I'm a city boy. I go to the store or on a good day to the farmer's market and buy ears of corn. I take them home, prepare them and cook them. And eat the hell out of fresh corn on the cob.

Friend and I did discuss moisture content and he suggested ~15%. Agree?

Thanks Y'all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Mike,
15% or less on yellow field corn better known as feed corn, pretty much good for grinding only.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
At least down to 15%, 13% moisture would be better for LTS.  Keep it sealed so bugs don't get in it.  The cooler you can keep it the better,  But try to avoid freezing and heating cycles.  Depending on the local conditions it may be prudent to check grain for aflatoxin or other toxins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top