Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2009 3:59:40 PM EST
My friend and I are going out to near Alpine, Texas in a couple of weeks. Apparently, someone he knows is taking us out to the domain of an acquaintance to help deal with their hog "issue." Thing is, we're really going to get one to cook. My friend is a cook and wants to cook a whole pig. I told him I would lend my intermediate AR skills to the cause since I would be eating said pig anyway. Apparently it is night hunting. I've got a G2Z on my AR. Should I buy a filter? I was told that they would use lights. I feel pretty confident that my Aimpoint ML3 will do the job. I'll be using Black Hills 75 grn HP or Remington Match 77 grn. HP round. I'll probably pack my GP100 on the side. I'm excited. I feel a little sad for the animal, but hell; we all gotta go sometime.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:47:49 PM EST
Hell, I'd use that Ruger in your avatar.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:06:56 AM EST
Remember to turn your brightness on the Aimpoint down to where you can just barely see it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:39:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:
Hell, I'd use that Ruger in your avatar.

Not that I doubt 45 COLT's effectiveness to dispatch a piggy, but I'd feel better with a DA revolver on my hip.

I'll be sighting in the AR today at an indoor range which shall remain nameless. Same with the Ruger. I'd like to get a couple sessions in before we leave in a couple of weeks. Today to sight in the Aimpoint and try some long-range shots. Next time will be a more careful examination of my technique and how the bullet is behaving at different ranges.

I think I've heard that you sight in for 25 yards and the bullet is high at 50 and then on target again at 100 yards. Am I crazy?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:48:47 AM EST
Is this your first time ever hunting?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:05:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ponyboy:

Yeah. First time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:11:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By FP2000H:

Yeah. First time.

Thought so. Just calm down a little and don't get too excited. Worst thing that could happen is that you get so excited that as soon as you see something you shoot and miss. Calm and collected beats jittery and excited every time. My buddy gets super excited and I don't get excited about anything, I kill twice as much stuff as he does every year.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:38:05 AM EST

Yeah. First time.

Thought so. Just calm down a little and don't get too excited. Worst thing that could happen is that you get so excited that as soon as you see something you shoot and miss. Calm and collected beats jittery and excited every time. My buddy gets super excited and I don't get excited about anything, I kill twice as much stuff as he does every year.

+1

don't count your hogs before they hatch fall down and do the Curly Shuffle....

Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:04:52 PM EST
Aim small, miss small. I'm excited about going but I feel that I have the mental readiness to take my time with a good shot. I just need to make sure my rifle is sighted in well and that will take the nervous edge off a bit. My worst fear is that I take my time with the shot and totally miss.

It's not Alpine, BTW. It's outside of Alvin, Texas. It's on a lease. I'm still trying to get details as far as if we are stationary or track and ambush kind of thing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:06:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/15/2009 4:24:33 AM EST by TheRedGoat]
I'll second Ponyboy's advice. Remain calm.

Next, ditch the HP rounds. IMHO, the 5.56 is bad enough about breaking apart inside of a hog, adding the HP element just insures it's going to ruin more meat. Especially since you said you are planning to eat it.

Lights? Night hunting? Again, IMHO, we have killed the majority of our pigs at night from a vehicle. Normally, the headlights are more than enough illumination. Hell, the Avilas were on board one night and played 'doorgunner' as we chased them down across a field. Although he preferred the 'Two in the ass, one more in the ass' technique for gunning them down from a truck window, I would recommend leading them a bit more and making them even simpler to clean.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:59:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2009 6:00:15 PM EST by km2006dmax]

Not that I doubt 45 COLT's effectiveness to dispatch a piggy, but I'd feel better with a DA revolver on my hip.

I'll be sighting in the AR today at an indoor range which shall remain nameless. Same with the Ruger. I'd like to get a couple sessions in before we leave in a couple of weeks. Today to sight in the Aimpoint and try some long-range shots. Next time will be a more careful examination of my technique and how the bullet is behaving at different ranges.

I think I've heard that you sight in for 25 yards and the bullet is high at 50 and then on target again at 100 yards. Am I crazy?

More than likely you'll be high at 100 yards if your zero is 25 yards. If my 300 has a 25 yard zero I can't hit paper at 100. I'm way high.

Like ponyboy said don't get to excited. I know its hard but if your hunting with a group of people, and you get into a big sounder things can get a little hairy. You can have hogs running everywhere including in between you and other hunters. Safety, Safety Safety. I can't emphasize this enough. Know your surroundings and were your shooting.

Have fun and post pics!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:46:06 AM EST
So, I should probably zero in for 50 yards, huh? I think that's what I had done in the past and just been a tad high for 100. I don't think I'll be shooting out to 100 though. I don't really have the "optics" for that. I'll be running an Aimpoint ML3 (2 MOA) with one of the LaRue Po' Boys behind. It's a little 2.5x magnifier. I recently had to change the mount out so I'm re-zeroing right now. Previously, I was a little low at 50, a tad high at 100, and right on target at 75 yards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:15:55 PM EST
So, I should probably zero in for 50 yards, huh? I think that's what I had done in the past and just been a tad high for 100. I don't think I'll be shooting out to 100 though. I don't really have the "optics" for that. I'll be running an Aimpoint ML3 (2 MOA) with one of the LaRue Po' Boys behind. It's a little 2.5x magnifier. I recently had to change the mount out so I'm re-zeroing right now. Previously, I was a little low at 50, a tad high at 100, and right on target at 75 yards.

You should definitely plan on shooting out to 100 or more if the conditions permit. You'll be pissed off if you see some hogs at 200 and they bolt before you get close enough to make a shot. Always prepare for the worst and hope for the best and honestly shooting something at 200yds is nothing. Make sure you can quickly estimate your bullet drop for your particular weapon/ammo combo so you can make the shot that's given to you. There's nothing better than spotting something at 400yds and dropping it with one shot in front of your buddies.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:24:15 AM EST
With a 50m zero, you're on at 50, a little high (aiming) at 100m, and on again at 200m. Inside of 50m, point and shoot.
Top Top