Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2013 10:13:18 PM EDT
Ideally the wife and I would be together, so it would make sense to each have a variety, but............ what if we are not.

There are some basics, knife, mess kit. water filtration,matches, lighters,.....

But what about the rest.  What have you planned?

ETA: I just bought two Camelbak Motherlodes.  One for each of us.  Currently I have a bag that I take everywhere, but she does not.  Usually we go on trips together so we are ok, but if she is alone or needs to leave due to a disaster I would rather her have a bag she knows.

I work overseas so she needs to be capable of taking a bag an leaving with our kid.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I associate a BOB with an INCH bag. I would only take this on distant trips. My GHB is to only get me home and it goes everywhere with me and if it can't, I won't go.

I have three separate bags in the trunk of my car, full medical, ammo & mags and the actual BOB. I will mix and match pending the need to abandon my car.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I associate a BOB with an INCH bag. I would only take this on distant trips. My GHB is to only get me home and it goes everywhere with me and if it can't, I won't go.

I have three separate bags in the trunk of my car, full medical, ammo & mags and the actual BOB. I will mix and match pending the need to abandon my car.
View Quote

I changed the title.  To me a GHB is a wallet with cash.  Maybe whatever is in my pocket.  I had to google INCH bag, but yes similar contents.

The bag I am talking about would be a planned trip, stranded, or need to leave very soon type of thing.

I am wondering with multiple family members should one pack as if they are alone or pack as if they will be in a group.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 4:10:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I think there should be redundancies in things like hydration, fire, food, weapons. Other than that I think the person should be in control of what they carry i.e. feminine products, comb, brush, bible other necesities that I am obviously missing. The point is though that each person has a list of things that THEY can't do without. JMO
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi everyone, I normally just lurk over here, but I've decided to throw in my .02 in this thread.

IMO you're right. There are some basics that never really change, but working in a group does offer some flexibility in regard to packing lists. Each bag should contain the basics, but you can specialize:

Every group member may get a handheld gmrs, but a group allows the ham guy to carry a mobile rig w/ the batteries and antennas split up amongst the group

A good e-tool can be used as an axe, but it's really nice when your other group member brought a gransfors bruks small forest axe.

All the packs in my family have a bivy or hammock (depending on the season), but everyone carries part of a 8 man kifaru tipi as a group shelter

Maybe everyone has an IFAK, but your EMT wants to carry something more advanced

You can keep going with this as far as you want. Maybe each individual can carry different methods to start fire or purify water or the guy with the heaviest pack carries a light ruger 22/45 pistol while the one with the lightest pack gets stuck with a takedown 10/22. It just depends on what you want to do.    

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#5]
What are you bugging out from? Are you going by vehicle, or are you fantasizing about you and your wife heading off on foot and living in the woods while the world burns down? My guess is that since you're buying military-style bags and loading them with outdoorsy/camping gear it's the latter. That's all fine and dandy but you might want to pack an actual BOB that you will use in the vehicle first. You know, with stuff you will actually use, like clothes, money, paperwork, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top