Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 7:58:17 PM EDT
I wanted to post in this Ham (High frequency AM?) forum because I need a new bench idea not just for reloading but my radio gear also.

In searching the net the closest picture I can find is this:

I like the lower shelf idea but it may not leave enough space for my legs when sitting in a chair. I do like the table area because I could use formica/laminate or maybe stain a piece of that nice looking Maple 3/4" plywood I saw at Lowes. I could omit the rear shelves for shelving mounted on adjustable rails on the wall. Best part is I could easily go 8' wide with all this.

This is my current desk but I'm too embarrassed to show my reload bench:

Any pictures you have for ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that will work. You can't reload a radio.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been trying to buy a suitable desk but failed to find anything not made for midgets. I ended up building a custom desk for my new radio shack. The top is 8' wide and 38" deep. I used kitchen cabinets from Lowes. The top is made of 3/4 plywood with formica on top. It has  2x4s under the plywood for strength. It feels very solid.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my 72" Bush

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe its just me, but....

Radio's, potential of static shocks around powder?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe its just me, but....

Radio's, potential of static shocks around powder?
View Quote

I was actually going the other way.  Reloading can be a dusty business.  I don't want dust getting into MY radio gear.

Or have a primer drop through one of the ventilation slots in your antenna tuner and get caught in the air core inductor.  

Spin the dial and get a frequency change you weren't expecting!!!!  And a lot more "magic smoke" than you have a right to expect!
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:56:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I was actually going the other way.  Reloading can be a dusty business.  I don't want dust getting into MY radio gear.

Or have a primer drop through one of the ventilation slots in your antenna tuner and get caught in the air core inductor.  

Spin the dial and get a frequency change you weren't expecting!!!!  And a lot more "magic smoke" than you have a right to expect!
View Quote

The ultimate QRM!

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:01:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't think that will work. You can't reload a radio.
View Quote

I've always felt that dealing with tube radios wasn't worth it but I never considered that someone might want a reloading bench for them.

I'll go with another poster - I don't see powder and power as a good mix.  One little arc could ruin your whole day.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#8]
While not using the same bench for both I am looking to use the same room so I am tagging this for combo shack and reloading room ideas.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I would probably suggest against this. It could be done, and done safely, but I know I would fail at that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I hadn't thought about static or stray RF. I guess the distance rule applies here. While this thread may de dead, I'm still looking for bench or table ideas. I also realize it needs to be deeper.

thanks anyway
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't put a full sized shelf under the bench top, you will be constantly banging your shins and getting out a flashlight to find stuff that falls under there plus it is harder to get stuff that bounces/rolls to the back.  Use a light colored top to make powder spills easier to clean up.  Make sure the design does not cover the only convenient power outlet.  Allow room for the cat.

Lessons learned the hard way.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I use a single stage and between the lube, powder, case trimmer, used primers and sorting dirty brass my hands can get grimy working at the reloading bench. I wouldn't want any of that near my ham rigs. I will hang an HT down by the bench to listen to a couple local repeaters is about as close as I'll get. Mainly b/c the XYL might call on the repeater if the cell phones are wonky.  HF/VHF/UHF base rigs are in another room with the computer/office setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top