Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:59:19 PM EDT
Hi all, I'm going to try NVIS around Seattle greater area at 40m with the Buddipole close to the ground (4 to 8 ft) this Sunday.

If anybody is up for a QSO and radio checks, I'm going to be at 7.213 and 7.285 from 10AM to 12PM Pacific Daylight Time. It would be good to confirm signals and distance.

This is my first newbie QSO attempt ... :-) I've diligently crawled my way on from technician to general license (well a year ago or so), and just now got onto HF after saving enough for the radio.

I tried out both the Buddipole and Buddistick configuration (40m, and 20m). Tuning was really easy, I followed Buddistick's tuning by ear instructions. I tuned for a lower frequency at eye level, and then confirmed the SWR after raising the antenna.

It was of course easier to tune by ear for the Buddistick (one coil, whip, and radial). The Buddipole just took a bit longer (used the TRSB tuning guide).

My goal is really more for emcomm than hours sitting for QSL's (too many yard and house chores first to get to on a weekend). I'm pretty sure I'll get hooked on DX, QRP, and contesting in no time once I have a few contacts :-)

Cheers! CharlieZ, KE7***.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Not in Seattle, but good on you for experimenting.  Let us know how it goes.

It might be convenient to coordinate through a local VHF repeater, so you can hear if something didn't work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, it didn't quite work out the way I intended. I made contact but not locally, it was to San Jose

FT 897D, with Buddipole (horizontal), whips fully extended, no taps, no balun, on aluminum painter's pole as a mast 16 feet high. The Buddipole didn't want to tune to 7.213 at 4, 8, or 16 feet above ground. I had to use my antenna tuner.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Think of it as NVIS bouncing off of Saturn.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Here ya go:

NVIS Info

good luck, have fun, & 73'

KI4BUN / AAV6TP TX
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top