Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2012 9:37:21 AM EDT
DO you have a desginated truck weapon(s). And when I mean desginated, a weapon or multiple weapons that are in your car/truck a majority of the time. For some reason I have the thought in my head is to have three (rifle, shotgun and handgun) and not have the total reach over $500. Seems to be ok for that. For that amount it wouldnt be the end of the world if stolen. What do you think...

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 9:52:24 AM EDT
Quoted:
DO you have a desginated truck weapon(s). And when I mean desginated, a weapon or multiple weapons that are in your car/truck a majority of the time. For some reason I have the thought in my head is to have three (rifle, shotgun and handgun) and not have the total reach over $500. Seems to be ok for that. For that amount it wouldnt be the end of the world if stolen. What do you think...

Thanks

I think leaving a gun in a vehicle is bad idea.  The problem with having a gun stolen isn’t the money you’ve lost; it’s the fact that you’ve put a weapon into the hands of a criminal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 9:52:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 9:58:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:08:46 AM EDT
Quoted:
Yes, in each vehicle.

What do you have in each vehicle
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:09:50 AM EDT
Kel tech sub 2000 in 9mm
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:11:57 AM EDT
Quoted:
Kel tech sub 2000 in 9mm

Why do you have that in your car
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:15:26 AM EDT
Quoted:

Thanks

Less than $500 total?? How will you do that and have even one that is a reliable weapon that you would trust your life on?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:15:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:43:48 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Less than $500 total?? How will you do that and have even one that is a reliable weapon that you would trust your life on?

Mosin-Nagant, Any scatter gun hand gun still figuring out
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:47:41 AM EDT
I kept a cut down 870 with a chopped off stock and 18' barrel under the seat of my truck for 25 years including the time I spent in San Diego a few years back.
easy to get to, had $75 into the gun, exterior got a wee bit rusty over the years, but I pulled it and cleaned it about every 6 mo..today it's refinished with ceracoat, has a new barrel. new stock
and resides next to the front door of the ranch.

IT was pulled out a couple of times over the years,, once when a recently former employee came after me one night with a machette; as we were waiting for the police to come lock him up, I told him he had proven my intentions on his termination by bringing a knife to a gunfight..

about 5 years ago, I was again living in Dallas for a short time, staying with family in a condo community,a FENCED community,,my truck and my sisters car
were both broken into 3 times in 90 days..I stopped locking the truck after the second theft and just took everything pawnable out of it.
when I visit there I do the same today..funny, both times; they missed the 12ga under the seat
Today, I will not leave a gun in the car ever again including my current rural A.O.

CHEF
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:57:36 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

SKS

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 11:16:36 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I think leaving a gun in a vehicle is bad idea.  The problem with having a gun stolen isn’t the money you’ve lost; it’s the fact that you’ve put a weapon into the hands of a criminal.

This.

And, no.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 12:41:51 PM EDT
I guess I take both sides on this matter................. I carry a gun (soon to be guns) in my truck but I also have a small car safe I installed in the center console and then I have a safe that I still need to bolt down under the rear passenger side seat at which point I'll also carry my sub2000 in my truck.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 12:43:19 PM EDT
My trunk gun:

Rock River upper and lower with Colt BCG and FCG. It's cheap enough that it won't bother me if it's banged up or damaged, but it is accurate and absolutely reliable. In the pouch is a USGI cleaning kit, broken shell extractor, small bottle of oil, three mags with 90 rounds of 75gr TAP, and spare Surefire batteries.

It cost next to nothing to put it together
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 12:47:02 PM EDT
I would like to keep an under folder AK in my truck 24/7 in an indiscriminate bag with some extra loaded mags.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 12:53:56 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think leaving a gun in a vehicle is bad idea. The problem with having a gun stolen isn’t the money you’ve lost; it’s the fact that you’ve put a weapon into the hands of a criminal.

I've never seen the logic in this line of thought, personally... just lots of emotion.

If a criminal steals a gun from me (from a locked car, from one of the safes in my home, or wherever) he is the bad actor, not me. If he wants a gun badly enough, he will get one somewhere even if all of mine are at home, disaasembled, bolted down, and inaccessable. I won't lose a moment's sleep over what a criminal does with my gun after stealing it if if I took reasonable precautions (and I consider a locked car reasonable, YMMV) any more than I will if he steals my (locked) car and then runs over somebody.

(FWIW, multiple firearms in all of my vehicles 24/7 for three decades now without a single issue.  Again, YMMV.)

I think the problem most people have with your logic is that most vehicles are easier to break into than most homes are.
How much trouble is it to bring the weapon back inside with you each night?
And your sig line claims that you are a Christian but I'm pretty sure Jesus would not approve of your irresponsibility...

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 12:59:34 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think leaving a gun in a vehicle is bad idea. The problem with having a gun stolen isn’t the money you’ve lost; it’s the fact that you’ve put a weapon into the hands of a criminal.

I've never seen the logic in this line of thought, personally... just lots of emotion.

If a criminal steals a gun from me (from a locked car, from one of the safes in my home, or wherever) he is the bad actor, not me. If he wants a gun badly enough, he will get one somewhere even if all of mine are at home, disaasembled, bolted down, and inaccessable. I won't lose a moment's sleep over what a criminal does with my gun after stealing it if if I took reasonable precautions (and I consider a locked car reasonable, YMMV) any more than I will if he steals my (locked) car and then runs over somebody.

(FWIW, multiple firearms in all of my vehicles 24/7 for three decades now without a single issue.  Again, YMMV.)

There’s nothing emotional about it.  Actions have consequences and as an adult I believe I’m responsible for mine.   If a criminal steals a gun you’ve left in a car you’re both bad actors.  His actions are criminal and yours are merely recklessly irresponsible, but you’re both wrong.  The action you took by leaving a weapon in a car has now resulted in a criminal being armed.  Great, you’ve exercised your right to leave a gun in your car.  You had the right but the gun’s still gone and the criminal is still armed.  You don’t have to look both ways before crossing an intersection at a green light but failing to do so may get you T-boned.  You could be killed.  You’d be in the right, but you’d be dead.

A car, locked or not, is not secure.  Not only is it not secure, it’s a preferred target of every two bit thief who happens to be cruising your AO.  If all of your guns were locked up I’m sure there are other ways for a criminal to get a gun, probably from that other guy down the street who leaves his guns in his car 24/7.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 1:12:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 1:16:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 2:04:26 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

SKS  

Okay So SKS+ what handgun + what shotgun to = less than $500???
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 2:05:11 PM EDT
Chances your car will be broken into is pretty good.  Chances you'll need your truck gun is not so good.  

I was always taught to maintain control of my firearms.  I wouldn't leave my M16 in a vehicle in the army, I won't leave my AR15 in a my POV either.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 2:38:38 PM EDT
"And your sig line claims that you are a Christian but I'm pretty sure Jesus would not approve of your irresponsibility"Radar363
nor would he approve of you judging others for him
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 2:48:08 PM EDT
Quoted:
"And your sig line claims that you are a Christian but I'm pretty sure Jesus would not approve of your irresponsibility"Radar363

And how exactly am I judging him? Other than pointing out the contradiction between his sig line and his post...
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:13:53 PM EDT
Seems to have gotten off topic...

A Mosin, 12 gauge and maybe a trade in revolver of some sort.  I still see it being to much, maybe 600.00 is more attainable.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:14:04 PM EDT
I ccw a 1911 and keep an M4 in my rig....most of the time. The M4 is hidden well and I have a great alarm system....the key-fob vibrates even if I can't hear the 120 db siren.

Odds are you won't break into my rig, find my M4, and unass the area before I'm alerted and cap your theiving ass.

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:15:51 PM EDT
I used to...then I woke up.  Now I just carry.

I'll clarify that - when I'm going more than an hour or so from home I sometimes toss a long gun in the truck, but I pick and chose what that particular gun is.  Usually time it to whatever is in season.

Usually it's deer, birds, or zombies.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:05:38 PM EDT
The decision should be an individual one based upon the likelihood of theft verses the probability you may need it.

Where do you live?
How safe is the parking area?
How easy would it be to quickly break into the vehicle?
Can the gun be secured within the vehicle?

How problematic would the loss of the firearm be to you?

If the gun was secondarily secured in a locked vehicle and stolen, I personally would not feel responsible for its theft.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:07:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:19:04 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

There’s nothing emotional about it.  Actions have consequences and as an adult I believe I’m responsible for mine.   If a criminal steals a gun you’ve left in a car you’re both bad actors.  His actions are criminal and yours are merely recklessly irresponsible, but you’re both wrong.  The action you took by leaving a weapon in a car has now resulted in a criminal being armed.  Great, you’ve exercised your right to leave a gun in your car.  You had the right but the gun’s still gone and the criminal is still armed.  You don’t have to look both ways before crossing an intersection at a green light but failing to do so may get you T-boned.  You could be killed.  You’d be in the right, but you’d be dead.

A car, locked or not, is not secure.  Not only is it not secure, it’s a preferred target of every two bit thief who happens to be cruising your AO.  If all of your guns were locked up I’m sure there are other ways for a criminal to get a gun, probably from that other guy down the street who leaves his guns in his car 24/7.  

Do you feel the same way about your home? A house, locked or not, is not secure either. Its just as easy to break a window on a home as it is a car. Guns locked up in a safe? Ok. Do you also lock up all knives and anything else that could be used as a deadly weapon such as a baseball bat? What if said criminal steals a kitchen knife and ends up doing harm with it? Are you recklessly irresponsible for allowing a criminal easy access to a whole drawer full of weapons in your kitchen?

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:24:33 PM EDT
Quoted:
My last post on this tangent, so as not to derail the thread/topic altogether...

Quoted:
Quoted:

And how exactly am I judging him? Other than pointing out the contradiction between his sig line and his post...

What contradiction?

I freely and gladly proclaim Jesus Christ as my Lord, Savior, and only Hope.  By definition, that makes me a Christian regardless of my (many!) sins, errors, and failings (not that I see my behavior or views posted in this thread as such, but you seem to).  I am a lowly sinner, to be sure, saved by grace alone if I am saved at all and you will never see me suggest otherwise.

Even if you are right about my behavior being "wrong" (which I do not concede, but just for the sake of argument...), for you to perceive any kind of "contradiction" between my sig line and my behavior as posted, you would have to lack (1) reading comprehension or (2) a basic understanding of the fundamental tenets of Christianity (or, perhaps, both).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion...

I apologize to the OP for the thread going off subject but the responsibility of leaving a gun in a vehicle is something to consider.
To the above: I never said your behavior was 'wrong'. I did say some people have a problem with what you do.
I understand what Christ taught and if you don't think he would disapprove of your statement that you wouldn't lose any sleep over what a criminal would do with one of your stolen guns then maybe you are the one that should re-evaluate your relationship with the One you proudly proclaim is your Savior.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:30:54 PM EDT
I think it will be hard to do all three for 500 and still get reliability from all three.  

SKS= approx $250 if you shop.

S&W Model 10 Revolver approx 259-269.

NEF/HR singsle shot shotgun 12 or 20 ga.  aprrox 100-150.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:28:53 PM EDT
I have designated shotguns for my Jeep and my pickup.  But, I do not leave firearms in a vehicle as a general practice.  It's not hardship to open the safe and take them out before I leave.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:42:52 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I got a remington 1100 for $150 Totally works but had some dings in the stock and some rust on the barrell.  It would have been less but I had to have it shipped from California and pay my ffl for the transfer.  I think it's possible but You will have to be very patient.

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:45:39 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

If he steels your car and kills someone with it are you responsible???

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:47:52 PM EDT
Quoted:

I'll clarify that - when I'm going more than an hour or so from home I sometimes toss a long gun in the truck..

This generally works for me as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:15:50 PM EDT
Generally speaking, no.  The handgun that I regularly carry concealed is sufficient.  I keep an extra mag in the glovebox though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:18:51 PM EDT
Hawk 982 pump, it's the Norinco manufactured 870 with ghost ring sights...consider a folding stock with pistol grip and other required parts for 922r compliance if you want really compact.  Follower, US made mag tube cap from an 870 or a US made 1 shot extension, US manufactured mag spring, US manufactured stock and foregrip and I think that would get you in compliance with 922r, but double check.

Edit to add, pickup a used shotgun locking rack from a police car at auction/online for $50 and you can secure it in the truck but have quick access to it when you need it.

Wes
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:19:20 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

+1

I don't leave any of my guns in a car unless it's going to be locked up in the garage.  I don't need to be giving my guns away to criminals.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:23:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 11:11:11 PM EDT
OP, only about a third of the people who have them would ever announce it on a public forum.  Security risk is too high.  Keep that in mind when evaluating responses.

(Whatever you use, keep it locked up and cheap.)
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 11:42:17 PM EDT
I sure wish I could find me some o' these mythical $250 SKS's everybody keeps talking about.  Every time I look, I end up finding out it's cheaper to buy a brand new Saiga sporter than a used SKS.

To answer the OP's question, I used to have an AK that I'd toss in the trunk with a couple of magazines, but I've never left it in the car overnight.  I've had a couple of guns go missing out of the car over the years in what I thought were foolproof safe locations.  (I'm pretty sure the thieves weren't random, but were people who knew me and who knew that the guns were there)

I don't really see the need to have a rifle, pistol AND shotgun in the car at all times unless you think you might stumble across an unexpected 3 gun match you just can't resist.

I've usually always got my CCW on me, so the handgun is sorted.  If I'm going out into the tulies where I think there might be a need for a rifle or shotgun, I'll stick one in the back, but unless I'm going to the range, it'll be one or the other.

As for security, I've got locks on my house doors and windows, and there's invariably somebody there during the hours when most thefts occur–– which is not the case with the car.  I'm not particularly worried that anybody will actually steal the whole car, but smash and grabs are an issue.  

A hidden safe in the vehicle might change my mind, but I'd have a hard time justifying the money and work involved just to keep a second firearm in there all the time.

IF I did, though, A Saiga 7.62 or 5.45 with an aftermarket folder would probably be the thing I'd do it with.  You can pick up a used Stevens or Store brand 12 ga pump pretty cheap–– they're generally reliable if you aren't storming the beaches at Tarawa.  Now you're at around $450-$500.  Good luck with a handgun and keeping your budget.  Last time I looked, even the Hi-points were over $150.

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 5:08:36 AM EDT
Ever since I was sent to another city as a rookie patrolman to help put down a major race riot with no advance warning and all I had was a 38 and 18 rounds of ammo I've kept a long gun and extra ammo in my vehicle.  I did have one stolen out of my surveillance van years later when I was a PI, but it was a blessing in disguise.  The thief climbed over a bag with $5k worth of surveillance cameras in it to steal a $75 shotgun!  You never know what's going to happen when on the road so why not keep an inexpensive back-up long gun in your vehicle, as long as it's legal in your area?  Think back to the LA race riots and what happened to unarmed whites who drove into riot areas by mistake.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 5:27:27 AM EDT
Ever since I had my truck broken into and a handgun stolen, no.
I do have a long gun that will, from time to time, go with me in the truck when I have to be out in less then ideal conditions.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 5:34:05 AM EDT
Wow. What a bunch of sanctimonious melodrama.

Anyway, this is a situation dependent question.

Typically I carry a pistol, but can't take it into work.  So I leave it in my car.

Sometimes, I do stuff where I want something bigger (camping mostly, visiting my parents farm) and in that case, I have a single shot H&R 12 gauge if I am not shooting there that trip.

I leave the shotgun in the car a week at a time sometimes, mostly, this is because my neighbors are nosy, noisy, talkative, liberal and their children are hoodlums.  The act of carrying the shotgun in and out of the house is a larger risk than just leaving it there. But that depends on who is out and about, what time it is, if I have to park behind someone else in the driveway, etc.

Hell, when I first moved in I put my guns in the basement after moving them in at night.  Realizing it was too damp down there, I moved them to my office upstairs.  My neighbor saw me carrying them encased, from my basement door to my office passing through the living room through the front window and called the cops.  (Who came, chatted with her, and never made contact with me.)  The cunt is still afraid of me at watches me like a hawk to this day.

"Being safe" as some of you think of it, will annoy me, the cops, and feed the crazy people in the neighborhood with all sorts of ideas.  Leaving it in the car, skips all that.

The point being, risks are balanced depending on what is going on and risks come in forms that don't always look like a stereotypical cat burglar with black watch cap.  A blanket statement "You are arming criminals" is just plain stupid false most of the time.  If someone is breaking in a car based on it sitting there, they are going after my two-BMW owning next door neighbor with the giant stereo system in it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 6:11:44 AM EDT
I used to always leave an inexpensive handgun in the car, just in case...

In FL it was a S&W 66 or a S&W Model 60.
When I moved to NV it became a S&W 6906 with 2 mags.

4 years ago my jeep was broken into. Cocksuckers stole that gun, another gun a few custom knives etc. They hit every car/truck parked in every driveway on my block that night.

Insurance covered it all, but every time I'd hear about a shooting in Reno on the news for a few months, I'd cringe for a second and would hope it was not my gun that was used. I got over that in a few months, though.

I still keep guns in the truck, but they come in the house every night. Fuck the value, I don't want my shit stolen and have it used in a crime because I was too lazy to bring my guns inside at night.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 7:17:56 AM EDT
If I am not going to be close to my vehicle I don't leave my weapons in there. If I need my long guns because of what I am doing that day then they are with me.
RLTW
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 8:13:14 AM EDT
yes...have a beater AR that is locked and vehicle has a very good alarm that notifies my key chain

I'm never very far from my vehicle when Im out. So, if someone can get through the alarm and lock within the few minutes it would take me to get to my car with my CWP that I carry 99% of the time they would have to be very good. Probably, have a better chance of getting them out of my safe at home
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 8:30:36 AM EDT
My .02....Leaving weapons in a car is a personal choice.  Since we are having the usual wave of migrant break-ins in our area before they head south for the winter, I cannot personally tell you that it is safer to have a weapon n the house than in the car, as a buddy of mine had his bedside weapon stolen while the AR in his car in garage was untouched....I personally always have a handgun on me because of my day job-either a G21 or G17.  Now to the original post, my thunder was stolen above, haunt pawnshops and gunshows, see if you can find a good single-shot shotgun, a trade-in revolver, and a Mosin, used HR singleshot, or a used Savage=still over $500 probablly out the door.  A week before the 2008 election, I picked up two S & W 10's for $280, a HR single shot .223 to shoot ammo my AR doesn't like for $185 with a scope.  I doubt you will find these prices again, but I have also picked up a couple of .410's for under $100 at auctions.  If you shop carefully and have a little luck, you can get close to your goal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 8:31:20 AM EDT
My .02....Leaving weapons in a car is a personal choice.  Since we are having the usual wave of migrant break-ins in our area before they head south for the winter, I cannot personally tell you that it is safer to have a weapon n the house than in the car, as a buddy of mine had his bedside weapon stolen while the AR in his car in garage was untouched....I personally always have a handgun on me because of my day job-either a G21 or G17.  Now to the original post, my thunder was stolen above, haunt pawnshops and gunshows, see if you can find a good single-shot shotgun, a trade-in revolver, and a Mosin, used HR singleshot, or a used Savage=still over $500 probablly out the door.  A week before the 2008 election, I picked up two S & W 10's for $280, a HR single shot .223 to shoot ammo my AR doesn't like for $185 with a scope.  I doubt you will find these prices again, but I have also picked up a couple of .410's for under $100 at auctions.  If you shop carefully and have a little luck, you can get close to your goal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:17:31 AM EDT
One thank you all your positive and negative views on it even though it led to an off topic discussion. Ill try to break everything down since alot of questions and statements happened after i left for work.

1: the $500 "cap" more of a guide line at best. I figure based on cost i can afford not taking care of the firearms. If i used the model, a mosin 1-150, a  scatter gun under 200 it is the pistol that is damn impossible finding for a good price except for surplus guns. but nevertheless just a guideline

2: 3 firearms I look at as a SHTF sitiuation. I always carried a scatter gun living in the country (mainly if i see a deer during season im going after it) but I look at it not able to get home. But finding a 3 gun shoot would be another nice idea

I hope that helps what I was thinking. But wanted to see if you do or dont. Didnt need to go on a long ass debate about criminals.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top