Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2007 6:39:39 PM EDT
So our latest storm has formed and here's the local report. However, the comment below is quite interesting from a preparedness standtpoint:

From tcpalm.com
The peak of hurricane season spawned Tropical Depression Number Four on Monday, and residents were urged to pay close attention later this week as the storm is expected to intensify as it heads west.

The storm was far out to sea Monday afternoon, southeast of Florida, but was fast approaching the Caribbean and could become the fourth named storm of the year. Dean is the next name in the list.

"People should be aware there's a developing tropical cyclone ... that's predicted to intensify," said Dave Sharp, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Melbourne. "Everyone's going to want to keep an eye on that."

The storm originated off the coast of Africa, a prime spot for such formation during this time of year.

"Will we be in the cross hairs or not? It remains to be seen," Sharp said. "It's a little to early to call."

Here's the comment:

"Its all over the news freaking people out so they run to the store and spend the money on more hurricane supplies. Worry about it when it turns into a hurricane and they think its going to hit our area, until then, dont worry about it."

Umm, yeah. That to me is not the best of planning, from a survival standpoint. Just a clue about how the sheeple think....

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe he just doesn't want everyone lining up for bottled water before he can get his own stashed away...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Going right through the Herbert Box.

Not good news for South Florida.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#4]
IF the shearing winds don't continue to prevent the storm from gaining strength...

And IF the storm follows the predicted path (there was a tropical wave that was coming from the same direction and was supposed to impact S. Florida this past weekend...it never happened. It passed to the south)....

And IF the storm does follow the predicted path as shown, it will continue to curve north westerly and impact Georgia/S. Carolina, not Florida.

There are still too many "IF's" right now. I'm prepared as always, but this is a long way from threatening anyone at this point.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#5]
A hurricane might break our drought!  We could use the rain
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

And break the heat wave
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I resent being called a Tropical Depression...I mean I have my bad days but I'm neither tropical nor depressed.

Dean
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1,000,000

COME ON DEAN!!! DRIVE IT RIGHT UP MY TAILPIPE!!!!!!!

gr
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#9]
maybe it'll nail us during our hike,, now that would be fun survive this bicthes  LOL
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll second all the comments from those in the southeast - if I wanted to live in 100+ degree temps and not a lick of rain I'd be in Arizona!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Too many factors in play right now to know where it might even go.

However, that said, I am going to buy some bottled water tonight, already have a 5 gallon can of it, and some other random water bottles around here.

We need it bad too here in NC.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Some of the models on weather underground are pretty scary scenarios, one puts it a cat 5 into Miami , way too far out to predict anything but you still need to be prepared for it, Sharp's an idiot.

LOL Ill make sure not to listen to the radio this time around. I was listening to the radio after Francis and they had this lady on the air from Boca complaining she hasnt eaten all day, it was only the day after landfall. When they asked why she hasnt eaten she said "Because none of the restaurants are open" My wife thought I went nuts when I started cursing at the radio about &^%^**&^^%$%*() SHEEP.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+2,
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000,000

gr

wow, I did not expect that
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000,000

gr

wow, I did not expect that

We need the rain that bad. I am nearly 40 and my family has NEVER sold cattle because they didn't have enough grass. We are about to start doing that if we don't get some rain, though.

GR
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Lack of rain be damned. The point is that the local populace has what they call "Hurricane amnesia" and won't react until a storm is imminent.

These are the same a-holes that make the gas lines two hours long and buy all the NON-perishable goods from the grocery store at the last minute in their ill-thought attempts at preparation.

Me, I'll sit back and watch, knowing I'm stocked up on having what I need to survive.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:49:37 AM EDT
[#17]
My plant makes the fiberglas that goes in shingles. My family makes corn, soybeans, and cotton when there is enough moisture. Let it blow!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:36:36 AM EDT
[#18]
It's very exiting when a hurricane is approaching, but that kind of exitement I can do without.

We're just coming off a drought too, having finally gotten enough rain in July and into August to relieve the immediate problem. But having had the eye of three hurricanes pass directly overhead in just a thirteen month period in '04/'05 is enough to make me hope it stays far away from here.

Very little good comes from getting hit with a hurricane. While it might be great for those inland who need the rain, the destruction that it'll cause to those on the coast where it makes landfall, is something that none of us should be wishing on our neighbors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top