Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2016 10:12:49 AM EDT
I recently bought a 14' semi-vee boat.  Right now it's human propelled (me and oars), but I would like to get a trolling motor, battery, and charger.  I know next to nothing about them, but I know I want it.  Cost IS a factor.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
thought about gas?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thought about gas?
View Quote

It's an electric motor only lake.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd stick with the oars. You need at least a 55lb thrust motor for your boat size.  It will cost more than the boat did..
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Craigslist is going to be your friend.

Find the biggest motor you can but where you want to spend your money is on battery's.

I'd suggest 2 deep cycle or 4 6v golf cart batteries. With that kind of setup you'll be able to go all day on a charge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Go to Walmart and get a deep cycle marine battery, the big one

Minnkota trolling motor
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd stick with the oars. You need at least a 55lb thrust motor for your boat size.  It will cost more than the boat did..
View Quote

Wut? I did quite well with a 20lb thrust motor on my 14 footer. You aren't going to get on plane or ski behind it but it will get you across the lake just fine.
Minn Kota or Motorguide are GTG. Get a real deep cycle battery and a "smart charger" to increase battery life.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
40 pound transom mount Minn Kota Edge.  Done.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:37:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone!  Going with a  Min Kota 30, smart recharger, and size 27 Interstate deep cycle battery.  It'll be used n a small (~30 acre) lake and it should suffice when I don't feel like rowing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top