Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 9:56:08 AM EDT
Apparently I've angered someone up high, who blessed me with two beautiful girls.  They've created their own "get home bags" and are an active part of our mindset and planning.  It's amazing what they can pick up at their age with some direction.  Ultimately, they've asked me to teach them things like land navigation, how to start a fire, plant identification and so forth.  I am not looking to pawn this opportunity with my kids off on someone else, but I can't help but think there's something more structured than me just talking off the top of my head.  Boy Scouts would be perfect, but they don't allow females.  Girl Scouts seems to do a great job of avoiding anything I consider practical.  We are all committed to camping, hiking and getting outside more next year.  Does anyone have any experience with a good overall training/learning regimen for kids between 8 and 12?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#1]
In San Angelo, TX there was and probably still is a Boy Scout troop of girls.  I learned of them when one of the moms and a couple of the "Boy"  er Tomboy Scouts were in the grocery store.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I gave up on Brownies for my daughter.  Scouts were useless where I was when I was a kid anyway.

I work with my daughter myself.  Go over basic compass work and then make treasure maps with rewards at the end.  Give them the map and compass and let em loose.  Its really fun to watch them work it out.  My daughter now helps students in my Hunter Ed class figure out map and compass.  She had to go to a mini Outward Bound type course before her freshmen year of high school and she about knew more than the instructors.  

She has been in charge of lighting the woodstove at camp since she was about 8.  Then on wet drizzly days I give her two matches and a knife and have her light a fire in the fire pit.  She can light a fire with flint and steel, but has not masterd the bow drill.

Spend the time yourself with your daughters.... they will be able to do anything the boys can do and will be more attentive to learning.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
look into see if the have explorers she might be a little young but its somthing to look inyo for later.
i was a  see explorer alog with scouts and i larend more in one season of sailing on a 47' sloop than i did in ten years of scouts.

my scout troop was one of the best in the region for 11 years but couldnt hold a candle to the sea explores i was in.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the CAP.  Civil Air Patrol.
I can't remember the starting age, but goes all the way through High School.
If you can find a good active squadron in your area, that has  a good ground search and rescue team, there are a lot of good learning opportunities.
I was a ground team commander for a few years.

The kids learn things such as, map and compass use, ground navigation, basic survival skills, basic military command structure and function, ground to air signaling, radio communications, basic first aid and cpr, crash site security, etc...
The purpose of the ground team in CAP is to conduct a ground search (and if appropriate) rescue in the event of an airplane crash in their area of operations.
Also, If they are so inclined, and stay with it (and progress) they can learn to fly, and get a head start on an officers position in the USAF after high school.

May not be your (or their) cup of tea but it might be something to think about.
MIKE
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Start a camp out in your area.  See guidelines at the top of this forum.  Encourage people to bring their kids.  Set aside times for the parents to teach the kids.  One father might teach land nav a completely different way than you do.  Maybe one of the mothers can teach canning.  Kids will learn differently when someone other than their parents are teaching, and they'll have more fun if other kids their own age are there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top