Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2013 2:44:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 2:50:44 PM EST
" />
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 3:39:04 PM EST
Depends on how long the trail is. :)

For walking around at the ranch (no more than one mile at a time), I generally carry my suppressed AR because, let's face it, suppressors take so long to get now that you need to use them every chance you get. If I would be walking a lot further or if there were other people around, I would probably carry my G26 or G17, depending on the environment.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 3:48:08 PM EST
I daily carry a G23 or a G26 on my ankle, but when I hit the woods it's a G20.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 3:51:38 PM EST
Colt Trooper Mk III 4" right now until my dad gives me his 629
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:06:07 PM EST
Out on the trails through town it's either a m&p .40 or 1911 depending on the season. Around the yard it's usually the 1911.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:14:21 PM EST
Lately I have been carrying a glock 26 too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:41:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2013 5:43:12 PM EST by carbine357]
3" s&w mod 60 with adjutable sights in .357 shoulder holster 4 speed loasers in belt pouch
2 loads. 125 gr for 2 footed bad guys. 2 s/l 180 gr for anthing bigger on 4 legs
dont have velocity so i am looking for wt in the 180
big bore form cabella's
this is a hiking load out only not a city

carbine357
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:42:34 PM EST
G26
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:54:25 PM EST
S&W Govener with shotshells for snakes. Glock 21.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 6:02:26 PM EST
SW 3" 60

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 6:10:29 PM EST
S&W M&P340 in my front pocket.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 7:39:27 PM EST
P 3AT.

I kid.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:51:34 PM EST
Depends on the trail and where it is. Where I live the biggest animal threat would probably be feral hogs or chupacabra's. I'd feel just fine carrying one of my 3" Ruger GP100 .357 magnums or even one of my .45 Colt single action Vaqueros.

If I were in black bear territory I would probably use the same things (contrary to internet opinion black bears don't require huge calibers). There's also my M&P40 with some good penetrating ammo which would be fine in black bear country although I do prefer revolvers out in nature but not for any logical reason.

If I were in an area where there were brown bears or moose or other big critters that can kill me without breaking a sweat I would carry my S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum because its powerful, extremely accurate and very reliable, plus you look good shooting that sweetie lol.

I'm always confuzzled by people who carry a .22LR for a trail gun, a pack gun yes but a trail gun? Although I'm thinking now its more semantics than anything. My ideal pack gun or the gun I would keep in my pack for emergency survival will be (as soon as I can get one) a Ruger Single Six Convertible .22LR/.22mag stainless. I figure it would be really good for hunting small game in an emergency situation and you also have the .22 magnum cylinder for larger critters and its easy to carry one revolver, an extra cylinder and a single box of each ammo without taking up a huge amount of room and weighing too much.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 3:02:33 AM EST
By the most used when on the trail is my G23. I like the ability to carry 200 grain hardcast rounds for hogs or smaller black bear, but it's generally just for mental comfort. I carry it in an HPG Kit Bag:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:24:21 PM EST
Wife a glock 9 mm me a XD9 in the pack 32 Winchester
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:40:38 PM EST
XD 45 full of 230 gr hydrashock
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 3:49:00 PM EST
I used to carry a .357 but recently bought a Glock 20 to replace it. The Glock hasn't won me over completely yet but it's getting there. Probably end up with a 6" barrel and slide at some point for it.

And if I ever make it to grizzly country I've got a Freedom Arms .454 Casull.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 5:55:58 AM EST
4 inch Taurus .44
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 7:37:57 AM EST
4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in .45LC loaded with 200gr Corbons.

Link Posted: 11/22/2013 1:36:23 PM EST
Usually, a Glock 23.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 2:39:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2013 2:55:30 PM EST by HUNTER223]
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 2:54:40 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 3:59:30 PM EST
S&W 329PD or a G29.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 4:21:32 PM EST
Any four inch barrel .357 is hard to beat as a utility handgun. A 16" levergun makes a handy as hell walking gun.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 4:40:25 PM EST
G20sf
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 2:37:26 AM EST
used to lug around my sw mdl 66 with 357 180gr jhp. but fucker was heavy.

my g17 is my trail/woods gun now.
the 357 is regulated to bed side duty as we have a bear issue and when weather is cooler the house stays open....
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 7:57:41 AM EST
Ruger Security Six .357.

Long gun varies, but usually its either a bolt gun or an AK, though I've started carrying my 300blk pistol.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 10:13:57 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By autumnsong:
G20sf
View Quote

Same here - it won me over and I never looked back. Great peace of mind in a relatively compact package for the amount of firepower it provides. Bridges the gap well between my EDC for strictly people threats (G19) and my previous woods/trail gun (Model 66 .357).

I've gotten to where it's all I carry when dual hunting with my son - we used to both carry 6.8 ARs, but he rocks the rifle now and I sling the pack and the G20SF.

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 10:37:11 AM EST
G19 or 1911, unless it's grouse season, than I carry my Ruger .22/45. I messed up a couple shooting them with a 9mm or .45 and they're too yummy too take that chance....

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 6:40:34 PM EST
As others have said, depends on the trail...

Asphalt trail, G27 or G22.

Desert trail, Ruger 22/45 and DPMS LITE 16 A3.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 1:42:09 AM EST
S&W Model 63, .22 LR is my mane trail companion.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 2:17:07 PM EST
here in Fl I have no issue using my G19, that being said I am almost always carrying a long arm of some sort.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 2:35:38 PM EST
G26
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:12:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By HighLighter:
G26
View Quote

+1

It's a nice compromise for size/weight, accuracy, and capacity.

I sometimes take a pocket 22 pistol as well. I have a S&W 61 and NAA mini revolver for plinking around. Still looking for a 22 j-frame to try out.

Link Posted: 11/26/2013 1:07:28 PM EST
Road walking I carry my Ruger SR9c, but when I go into the woods I switch
to my S&W 57 4" bbl 41Mag along with my rifle.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 5:11:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/26/2013 5:19:12 PM EST by batmanacw]
The place I hike the most is the farm. I would be much more inclined to have my 10/22 with me than any other gun. I like to plink, but it would be deadly to wild dogs, coyotes, or any two legged vermin in my hands. Scoff all you want. I can get solid hits at far beyond pistol distance and I actually shoot out more than any other firearm. I won't feel under gunned until all out shtf.

If I was too carry a pistol it would be my sp101. I can hit 1/2 sized steel silhouettes with it off hand at 100 yards almost every shot. I feel comfortable with it at distances I might need to engage in the woods, which is often shorter.

I do miss my Blackhawk in 44 mag with 3 5/8" barrel. That was a 200 yard capable pistol. Social distances were nothing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 6:47:01 PM EST
HK USPc 9mm for day trips in a belt holster w/spare mag in the pack. For longer backpacking trips I carry a Glock 26 in the pack and no spare mag.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:35:48 AM EST
Either a Smith Mountain Gun or a Ruger Alaskan. Both these have evolved to the purpose of carrying on the trail. They are both completely dependable and as up to the task as any handgun can be.

I've been wiped out by bears in the back country and never leave home without the 629 4".
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 12:19:40 PM EST
East tn here.

Concern 1, 2 legged problems running in pairs or larger groups.

Concern 2,Dogs some moron had for a pet and then dropped off so it could survive in the wild instead of being put down or adopted out to someone who could care for it.

For stopping the car and going for a nice day hike, ccw piece works. 45acp and my all the time firearm is a 38 special snubby. No matter what it seems to always go along, originally was considered backup but it is just a nice light small firearm that goes everywhere now.

Planned fun in the woods will generally see a 44mag go.

On private property where I know I can at least plink a little bit, extra ammo goes and often 22lr of some sort also goes.

Black bears have been sighted in my county, the news said so.

But in east tn black bears are something to consider, generally the problem is not the bear but the training it received from a tourist who fed the bear and now the bear expects every person to feed it.

I live rural. Dropped off dogs can be and are an issue.

As far as 2 legged folks go, if you really pay attention to your surroundings you probably have noticed a person or persons observe you and move on to observe others and perhaps watch and follow the other person. Just seems awfully common these days and it sucks to wander into a situation where you might pull into a boat ramp or parking area for a hiking trail and a few folks are there and the tension is there and you don't know why.

A cell phone for texting is nice and the camera on the cell phone can be nice as well.

Strange world we live in at times. Don't always have something to report but often have things that make you pause.

Around here lots of vehicles lose catalytic convertors while at boat ramps or parked at hiking trail parking areas. Just amazing what those squirrels are considering nuts these days.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 1:04:22 PM EST
Been wanting a G20 mainly just for this purpose. Well, and the fact that I like the 10mm round and don't own one right now.

Right now though, I usually carry my XD45 when I'm hiking or walking trails.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 1:57:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 2:18:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By HUNTER223:

hey nobody is scoffing, I don't feel under gunned while carring my SIG522 either. I've killed SEVERAL 130-150lbs capibaras with it, so I know what you're talking about.

As you may or may not know, I'm Argentinian, so I may be getting this backwards as I'm not very familiar with the imperial system, but did you just say you're scoring hits with any consisency at almost 200 meters with an under 4 inches barrel long revolver?

If so, I'm impressed.

HTR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HUNTER223:
Originally Posted By batmanacw:
The place I hike the most is the farm. I would be much more inclined to have my 10/22 with me than any other gun. I like to plink, but it would be deadly to wild dogs, coyotes, or any two legged vermin in my hands. Scoff all you want. I can get solid hits at far beyond pistol distance and I actually shoot out more than any other firearm. I won't feel under gunned until all out shtf.

If I was too carry a pistol it would be my sp101. I can hit 1/2 sized steel silhouettes with it off hand at 100 yards almost every shot. I feel comfortable with it at distances I might need to engage in the woods, which is often shorter.

I do miss my Blackhawk in 44 mag with 3 5/8" barrel. That was a 200 yard capable pistol. Social distances were nothing.

hey nobody is scoffing, I don't feel under gunned while carring my SIG522 either. I've killed SEVERAL 130-150lbs capibaras with it, so I know what you're talking about.

As you may or may not know, I'm Argentinian, so I may be getting this backwards as I'm not very familiar with the imperial system, but did you just say you're scoring hits with any consisency at almost 200 meters with an under 4 inches barrel long revolver?

If so, I'm impressed.

HTR.

Long range hand gunning is a blast. I got 3 hits in a row on a head sized rock at 230 yards in a field. Once you have the range and you can see your hits, you can walk them in and hammer on it a bunch of times.

I would love to buy a Ruger Blackhawk hunter and do some shooting out to 500 yards. Open sights and off hand of course. That's all part of the fun.

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 4:04:15 AM EST
Since I live in a wilderness, I carry a "trail gun" all the time...EDC for me! And I carry different pistols at different times...mostly I have been carrying my SIG 938 for only one reason: light weight. But I also carry a Glock 30, and a Ruger .22/45, a Browning High Power and a S&W 629 6" when bears are around. A .22 is more effective than most people think, here, I can take down anything in these woods but a bear with it, and because the 22/45 is SO accurate, shot placement is much easier. Where I live the bear population is VERY high, and I have to "look both ways" like when crossing a street, everytime I exit my cabin...they get into my bird feeders occasionally, but mostly they just ignore me. Even a big one can be very quiet if they want to be! But we did have two local non-fatal attacks this year in our area, both started over dog food left outdoors...on the trail, so far, they run away.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 8:19:08 AM EST
I've been carrying a 3" model 10 S&W, just for the novelty of the little wheel gun, but when the new wears off i'll probably go back to the 26 with factory +2 mags. it certainly makes more sense and is easier to carry.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:24:14 AM EST

View Quote

Agree on the 22 factor, though my first grab is my little badger... Just because I like it and its fun

I have spent 30+ days in the woods this hunting season (walked well over 100 miles) and can't find a bear to save my life, even spent a whole day tracking one specifically... So yea afraid of bears I am not, not in the Adirondacks any ways... Around my property and garbage would be the worse type of situation you can get into with a bear in my AO, and I can choose what I want from my man cave at that point.
I have still yet to have a situation where I found one by the house, wife had one walk up the driveway when she was splitting firewood, she was scared, so was the bear... Both went opposite directions at about mach 1... one on an atv and one as fast as the four legs would take it.

Just walking around the woods I usually will bring my 20GA break/ single action... A couple slugs and a couple bird shot... Might get lucky and bring home a squirrel or pheasant for dinner.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:45:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

Agree on the 22 factor, though my first grab is my little badger... Just because I like it and its fun

I have spent 30+ days in the woods this hunting season (walked well over 100 miles) and can't find a bear to save my life, even spent a whole day tracking one specifically... So yea afraid of bears I am not, not in the Adirondacks any ways... Around my property and garbage would be the worse type of situation you can get into with a bear in my AO, and I can choose what I want from my man cave at that point.
I have still yet to have a situation where I found one by the house, wife had one walk up the driveway when she was splitting firewood, she was scared, so was the bear... Both went opposite directions at about mach 1... one on an atv and one as fast as the four legs would take it.

Just walking around the woods I usually will bring my 20GA break/ single action... A couple slugs and a couple bird shot... Might get lucky and bring home a squirrel or pheasant for dinner.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:05:55 AM EST
usually carried a charter arms 2 1\2'' bulldog pug.

5 shot 44 spl. 200gr. silver tips and a speed loader.

yet,that was a long time ago.

now it's just some flavor of 1911 w\230gr.HP.

clown

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:09:32 PM EST
I always wear my Glock 19, but if its a rifle friendly trail the 10.5" AR comes along; slung to the side or strapped to my pack. Only in Hawaii while hunting have I ever been asked about my rifle on a trail.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:53:16 AM EST
I don't have a dedicated "trail gun". My G26 is my EDC and comes along when I go camping etc. I don't have to worry about bears or other large animals where I am. 2 legged critters are the only potential problem, and that is not really that bad here. Still, I take it when we go.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:05:39 AM EST
Mostly my .45 colt Blackhawk. .22's are fun, and I have many. But some years back I got into a situation where a .22 just seemed awfully small. Things turned out well, but I decided right there and then I wanted a larger hole in the end of the barrel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top