Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2015 3:21:14 PM EDT
Well, we often beg for rain this time of year but the last couple of weeks have caused a serious problem in my garden.  My tomato plants have been dying from the soil not draining fast enough from every other day having rained.  Thankfully (or oddly) I've had tons of volunteer plants come up and growing huge which aren't seeming to mind it one bit, now going to swap them out for plants that died.  I'm spraying them with liquid copper fungicide to try to stave off the blight from attacking them.  What else can I do about this, if anything?  I don't want to have a year without tomatoes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can work the soil at all, maybe you can dig a drainage ditch a foot or so deep as close to them as you can get without damaging the roots.  It's tough... having similar problems here in MO, but not quite disaster yet.

Those volunteers may or may not be worth raising.  If you raise heirlooms, maybe, depending on how many varieties you grow and what kind of cross-pollination happened last year.  If they were hybrids, though, it's pretty much a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
we had 6 weeks of rain

destroyed my grapes this season...lost most..
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Send some my way. It hasn't rained since March. And it won't rain until late November or December if we are lucky... It was 108 degrees today. More of the same tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I hear you with the rain. I planted late so with that being said I saw that we have been having too much rain. I ended up planting in DIY earth-boxes that way the plants aren't over watered. My Dad has been doing them for years with great success, last year he planted a dozen tomatoes in the boxes and ended up with close to 450 pounds of tomatoes to can. I know a lot of people say the earth boxes isn't real gardening but I can't turn a blind eye to the incredible results.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:46:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hear you with the rain. I planted late so with that being said I saw that we have been having too much rain. I ended up planting in DIY earth-boxes that way the plants aren't over watered. My Dad has been doing them for years with great success, last year he planted a dozen tomatoes in the boxes and ended up with close to 450 pounds of tomatoes to can. I know a lot of people say the earth boxes isn't real gardening but I can't turn a blind eye to the incredible results.
View Quote

I certainly wouldn't say that, and I garden a lot.  The only problem with raised beds over in-ground gardening is the initial work and $ involved in getting it set up.  Other than that it's really superior to in-ground garden in almost every way.  You can have complete control over how much water/fertilizer the plants receive, you can custom-tune the soil composition, easier to keep weed free and maintain overall (less bending over!).

It's just really hard to set up a couple acres' worth of raised beds.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Screw that. You aren't paid for your methods, you are paid for your results. Also, not everybody has the ability to plant a garden in the backyard, so a box garden is their only way to go. You should start another thread and show us your set up and the results
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I made a couple DIY earth boxes this year and planted peppers and tomatoes in them.  I also planted peppers and tomatoes in the ground as a comparison.  I will never plant peppers and tomatoes in the ground again if I can help it.  The DIY box plants are 4 times the size of the ones in the ground.  Same location, same watering schedule, same fertilizer, etc.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Screw that. You aren't paid for your methods, you are paid for your results. Also, not everybody has the ability to plant a garden in the backyard, so a box garden is their only way to go. You should start another thread and show us your set up and the results
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's some of the older Italian guys I work with busting my shoes. I'm with you guys it works for me so I don't care.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top