Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2013 7:26:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2013 7:30:35 PM EST by beardog30]
Got invited to clean up after a youth hunt at a hunting preserve. Pen raised birds are not always fun but for a couple dogs learning the ropes they can help out. I had many shots but only took shots when the dogs did everything correct. We ended up with a pheasant and a quail and two happy and tired girls.
The big girl on the left is turning out to be a true GSP. This is the second time she has chased a deer only to bring it back around for what would have been an a clean shot. She has a lot of hound in her, I have no doubt she could turn a boar if needed.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:46:41 PM EST
Pretty country... Looks like it was a good day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:01:42 PM EST
Sounds like a fun day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:27:53 AM EST
Cool! As you note, hunting pen-raised birds isn't quite the real thing, but it beats the hell outta siting at home! The "wild" bird seasons aren't long enough to satisfy a real fanatic upland hunter.

The dogs and I do quite a bit of hunting at our hunting club when the "wild" seasons aren't open. We always scratch-hunt - meaning we never release birds - just try to find whatever has been out there for a while escaping other hunters, hawks and foxes. Still not quite the same as real "wild" bird hunting, but much closer than hunting released birds.
Top Top