Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/1/2007 2:15:42 PM EDT
I just spent the last three days and two nights at my BOL. The first day wasn't two bad. It was just cold (25) and dry. Days two and three were freezing (13 at night to 17 during the day). There were numerous snow showers occurring all the time. Not much accumulation as the winds were roaring away, blowing the snow around. Wind gust were supposed to be in the 30-35 mph range. Nothing like the roar of wind sounding like a oncoming freight train! Now and then you would here a tree crashing down.

I placed my new propane tank table at the end of the trailer. This will keep the tanks off the ground and accessible. It's built out of pressure treated wood. The rubber tile top is used in commercial elevator floors. I epoxyed it down

This winter I'll be testing the reliability of those blue 7 gallon water cubes. There's four of them behind the camper filled. We'll see how they fared after the winter.

BTW, I didn't know if I should have posted this in General Outdoor Discussion. If so, Mods please move and I'll know for the next time.
Enjoy the pics.

Digital thermometer reading Saturday at 10:00 AM. This does not include the wind chill factor.

My Honda 2000 purring away under the protective enclosure. It's now located about 30 feet from the camper. You can barely hear it.

I kept the car nice and close to the camper this time!

The front of the camper. I've been accumulating wood on separate 1/2 cord racks. I might just end up ringing the whole site with them. Would make a nice natural barrier.

The new propane tank table with cover. I had a friend make it for me out of marine grade naugahyde.

The table sans the cover. It's just high enough to keep the tanks dry but easy to access.

Day one pic of the reservoir looking West before the snow.

Day one pic of the reservoir looking East before the snow.

There are many signs like this on my mountain.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:17:10 PM EDT
Wow, that looks like an awesome BOL! Great pics, thanks for posting.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:23:39 PM EDT
Looks like a great time! Nice and crisp too
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:24:54 PM EDT
Thats a nice BOL. Pretty sweet set up.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:27:04 PM EDT
Is the wood for campfires or do you have a woodstove?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:27:17 PM EDT
Great setup. I am really jealous.

What is all the cut wood for? Do you have a wood-burning stove inside the camper?

Do you have a fence around the camper and wood to keep someone from stealing it when you are not there?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:33:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nhsport:
Is the wood for campfires or do you have a woodstove?

It's for campfires. We built a large one out of an old kettle screen fireplace and bluestone. it puts out a lot of concentrated heat.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:37:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TomHighway:
Great setup. I am really jealous.

What is all the cut wood for? Do you have a wood-burning stove inside the camper?

Do you have a fence around the camper and wood to keep someone from stealing it when you are not there?

No fence is needed. The trailer is up on blocks and I removed the back side tires! It took us 2 hours to bring it down. There's only 3 inch clearance between trees on the way down my driveway.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:54:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 3:55:35 PM EDT by TomJefferson]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:25:44 PM EDT
Lots of firewood. Does your trailer have a fireplace?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:09:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
I love seeing pic of you BOL buddy. It so reminds me of our first setup at our BOL place except much nicer. My little camper was only 17', but it did the job and now there's two homes there and two out buildings room for my family, my brothers, and my sisters though we all live hundreds of miles from each other.

If you don't mind since this is your second post, I've got quite few questions.

Is that Honda 2000 enough to run your AC? My setup was way before gens were so popular and I used a battery bank which I charged by switching out my truck battery. Reason I ask is Ops has a good size camper and we tried my Coleman 1850 on it this summer and it wasn't quite enough to run his AC.

Is your fridge propane? I love that feature on my old one. It did fantastically well and here we are 25 years later and it still works.

What do you do for water in winter? Curious here because I use my boat all winter. They're very much like campers. I winterize the water system then keep a case of bottled water in the cabin using a marine cabin heater set at just above freezing. Yes, the marina has power. I dump a couple gallons of regular glycol in my septic so we can use that. That tanks below the waterline so not apt to freeze anyway.

What do you use for entertainment? Just curious for I bet its good. We kept a battery operated boom box and battery operated TV in ours. The TV was B&W because they pick up signals so much better than color and our location the TV stations were terrible for reception, still is.

Do you use any alternative light in winter? This is actually how I really got into oil lamps. We kept a wall mount in our camper. Used with liquid paraffin, it had no soot and put out some heat. I still use the setup on my boat which has much less ventilation.

Lastly I noticed you mentioned it was cold and you have all that propane (very nice setup btw). I assume you have a propane heating furnace? I used my little camper all winter and the furnace worked great, however I didn't have AC even an inverter and the fan didn't run on DC. It still worked and vented just fine.

Sorry for all the questions but your place intrigues me due to my past.

Outstanding setup you have and one fantastic get away. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we did ours.

Tj

Hi TJ,
In order of your questions:
During the summer, I was able to run my AC with the one Honda 2000. Mind you, the AC was a 18k unit. Quite frankly, I was surprised it could do it. It did use up most of my power. I do have another Honda 2000 which I pair with the other one for summer use. This way I have power for other items.

The fridge is a Dometic propane unit. It sips the gas so slightly. You can't find a more economical unit.

As for water, that's the tough one. I usually bring up three or four 7 gallon containers for my stay. There's always a few more up at the site waiting for me. I bring them in to 'defrost' just in case. My holding tanks are useless in the winter as they're winterized . I've gerry rigged a Zodiac shower unit for inside use during the winter. I'll post pics soon.

As for entertainment I have a TV connected to a Weingard antenna. I can pick up signals from pretty far away as I'm so high up. There's also a built in stereo with CD Some people say that's not 'camping'. I say life is short, enjoy what you have!

I've converted all my incandescent lights to florescent. The draw is so little . Of course, there's oil lamps and candles on hand.

My furnace is a 20k unit. It keeps the camper really toasty. I have dual 30 lb tanks with four others in reserve. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me.

Steve

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:16:34 PM EDT
wow great setup this is the sort of setup i'm looking into
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:46:02 PM EDT
Sweet location and set-up. I really enjoyed your pictures. My plan is to actually get a travel trailer as well and then try to purchase some property when the budget permits. Do you plan to put a well on the property so you have easy access to water?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:01:09 PM EDT
Where did you get the shelter for your generator? It appears the frame may be your design and manufacture, but did you also manufacture the cover or did you buy it somewhere?

I have a Honda EU300is that I use to poser a Starcraft Popup Trailer, but have been just leaving it outside. I have been wanting to do something similar to your generator shelter.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:32:43 PM EDT
Looks nice!

Two questions:

What's the blue thing attached by hose to the gas can? I'm assuming it's a pump, but what kind and is it really worth getting versus just pouring the gas through a spout?

What's the deal with the City of New York "Water Supply Land" sign? Does the City actually have jurisdiction at your place to restrict access? Just curious because I've never seen anything like that before. If there are special regulations there, do you think you might get "booted" in an "emergency?"
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:48:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 5:50:23 AM EDT by USMC6177]

Originally Posted By EndGame:
Looks nice!

Two questions:

What's the blue thing attached by hose to the gas can? I'm assuming it's a pump, but what kind and is it really worth getting versus just pouring the gas through a spout?

What's the deal with the City of New York "Water Supply Land" sign? Does the City actually have jurisdiction at your place to restrict access? Just curious because I've never seen anything like that before. If there are special regulations there, do you think you might get "booted" in an "emergency?"

Thats the Water Police for the City of New York. They go around and steal water for the NYC so they don't have to pay for it. They have a police force oh and a SWAT team too. I grew up in the Catskills which is part of the NYC watershed. They have thier own laws that they can enforce on Private property!! Man I hate the DEP

ETA: Don't count on that resevoir as a water source post SHTF. The DEP will lock that down tighter than a Nun's cunt if it all goes to hell.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:30:18 AM EDT
Are you concerned about the "Water Police" attempting to enforce, oh, I don't know, say whatever they feel in the common good for NYC during a SHTF event? Do they have the authority to evict permit holders from the area during what they would consider a state of emergency?

Nice set up you have. Really like the shelters for the generator and the propane tanks.

One thing about this forum, you can learn alot about a topic by reading the questions and answers posted on a topic. I learned the answers to questions I didn't even know were things to question. I didn't know propane fridge's were so efficient.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:26:39 AM EDT
If SHTF, NYC will have much bigger problems than people bugging
out in the watershed, trust me on this. After my first trip to Manhattan,
I never returned, and still refuse to visit my friends who live in the area.

NYC is one huge herd of sheeple stacked on top of each other.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:06:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FNFalGuy:
Sweet location and set-up. I really enjoyed your pictures. My plan is to actually get a travel trailer as well and then try to purchase some property when the budget permits. Do you plan to put a well on the property so you have easy access to water?

I'm looking into a well for the spring. Somebody at the end of the road past me put one in. It cost him $11K- 800ft.. He does have a permanent house. I don't know how I would deal with the outside line as my camper is locked down when I leave. When I find out the specifics, I'll pass it along.

Originally Posted By Bladerunner:
Where did you get the shelter for your generator? It appears the frame may be your design and manufacture, but did you also manufacture the cover or did you buy it somewhere?

I have a Honda EU300is that I use to poser a Starcraft Popup Trailer, but have been just leaving it outside. I have been wanting to do something similar to your generator shelter.

I bought it already made. It was a kit. Pretty simple PVC pipes. The cover would be the tough one to make unless you're real handy. I'll look up the company and post it.

Looks nice!

Two questions:

The blue thing is a little hand pumper I bought from Northern Tool. You just squeeze the trigger to pump the gas out. Thirty squeezes to a gallon. It might be a pain, but when you want to top off the tank in the middle of the night, you never end up spilling gas from your 5 gallon can!

The NYC DEP has purchased parcels of land all around it's reservoirs. They them fall into two catagories: access with permit or no access at all. The no access at all are usually down close to the reservoir. The permit ones are scattered about. I'm located 4 miles from the reservoir on the highest point of the mountain. There would never be a restriction for me ever. I've met all the DEP police for my area. They're a real bunch of nice guys and gals (). Their job is just to make sure the water bound for NYC (140 miles away) is not compromised.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:19:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By USMC6177:

Looks nice!

Two questions:

Thats the Water Police for the City of New York. They go around and steal water for the NYC so they don't have to pay for it. They have a police force oh and a SWAT team too. I grew up in the Catskills which is part of the NYC watershed. They have thier own laws that they can enforce on Private property!! Man I hate the DEP

ETA: Don't count on that resevoir as a water source post SHTF. The DEP will lock that down tighter than a Nun's cunt if it all goes to hell.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they steal the water so they don't have to pay for it. The DEP maintains the reservoir infrastructure in order to provide it's people a safe drinking supply. Upstate NY gets jobs and incentives, downstaters get clean water.

They do have their own laws which supersede everything. However this applies to infractions occurring on watershed property, not private. But if you were releasing sewerage from your land onto DEP property, you're fucked. Keep your nose clean, obey the law, and be invisible- you'll never have a problem.

As aaron_fsb inferred, if there was a SHTF, these guys would be running to the hills to their families first!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:49:45 AM EDT
quick question why do you have to have another genny doesn't the travel trailer have its own? i have only been around motor homes so not sure if this is dumb question or not.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:32:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By snakeshooter1:
quick question why do you have to have another genny doesn't the travel trailer have its own? i have only been around motor homes so not sure if this is dumb question or not.

This particular TT and class, the Coachman Cascade 26tb doesn't come nor have provisions for a genny.

I've seen them mounted after market on the front hitch. Also some people have put them underneath in the 'basement'. Too scary and noisy for me. I'm real happy just putting mine outside thirty feet away down a small incline.

During the summer when I need more power for the AC and others, I use two Honda 2000's in tandem. Without the AC I can run everything else with no problem.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:45:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 9:48:38 AM EDT by USMC6177]

Originally Posted By Benevolus:

Originally Posted By USMC6177:

Looks nice!

Two questions:

I wouldn't go so far as to say they steal the water so they don't have to pay for it. The DEP maintains the reservoir infrastructure in order to provide it's people a safe drinking supply. Upstate NY gets jobs and incentives, downstaters get clean water.

They do have their own laws which supersede everything. However this applies to infractions occurring on watershed property, not private. But if you were releasing sewerage from your land onto DEP property, you're fucked. Keep your nose clean, obey the law, and be invisible- you'll never have a problem.

As aaron_fsb inferred, if there was a SHTF, these guys would be running to the hills to their families first!

If you have water going through your property you are subject to the DEP. It has nothing to do with sewage, the DEP has the ability to regulate where and what you build on your property, as for New York not stealing water I am pretty sure the couple baseball fields and few jobs that the DEP gives away doesn't make up for the millions of dollars they make of selling thier water to the residents of NY.

Sorry about the hijack btw my family has had lived in the watershed for a longtime and been subject to a laundry list of rediculous regulations.

Back on topic. Nice BoT. Ever thought about getting a Surplus Camo Netting kit to cut down on the visibilty of the white paint job? Those kits come pretty cheap these days
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:23:45 AM EDT
Which resevoir is that Cannonsville or Papecton, that area looks familiar, as i was born and raised in the Catskills. I much prefer Texas weather to NY. My folks still live in that area. I was a kid when The city of NY built both of those Dams.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:30:17 PM EDT
Thinking you might want a little extra security on the trailer door. Have you considered putting some hockey puck locks with brackets on it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:49:36 PM EDT

[

I have a Honda EU300is that I use to power a Starcraft Popup Trailer, but have been just leaving it outside. I have been wanting to do something similar to your generator shelter.

I bought it already made. It was a kit. Pretty simple PVC pipes. The cover would be the tough one to make unless you're real handy. I'll look up the company and post it.

Thanks hopefully you can find the company name. I think that's a great design, very simple and if were handy with a sewing machine could probably make myself.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:00:24 PM EDT

[

I have a Honda EU300is that I use to power a Starcraft Popup Trailer, but have been just leaving it outside. I have been wanting to do something similar to your generator shelter.

Thanks hopefully you can find the company name. I think that's a great design, very simple and if were handy with a sewing machine could probably make myself.

Here it is my friend: It's called E-Z Stor-it. Cost-$39.99 plus shipping
I purchased it from Brand New Engine Inc., in Iowa City, IA
(hope this doesn't violate any rules here)
Good luck
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:06:23 PM EDT
Sweet setup, how close are your nearest neighbors, if you don't mind me asking? Is there much game running thru? Wish i could have somthing like that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:20:48 PM EDT

Here it is my friend: It's called E-Z Stor-it. Cost-$39.99 plus shipping
I purchased it from Brand New Engine Inc., in Iowa City, IA
(hope this doesn't violate any rules here)
Good luck

Benevolus

Thanks man, I appreciate your efforts locating the company and brand name.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:58:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Blaze261:
Sweet setup, how close are your nearest neighbors, if you don't mind me asking? Is there much game running thru? Wish i could have somthing like that.

The nearest person is about 1000 feet away. In 15 years I've seen him about 5 times. Others are much further. Everybody just minds there own business.

There's plenty of game all the time. Mostly deer and turkey. Saw a few bears last weekend at dusk. Never saw any small stuff. I guess because of the elevation and lack of standing water.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:31:38 AM EDT
Like TJ said, I always enjoy your pics! Thanks-ARKAR
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:23:39 AM EDT
That view to the East much make for a beautiful sunrise. Thanks for sharing!
Top Top