Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2013 9:18:53 PM EDT
Last year i reorganized my life to some extent....... Haven't spent much time on arf.....
I "relocated" some guns and ammo with different people n places.

One of my friends who just won't listen about some things (buys junk guns sometimes)
Went with me to stash some more stuff. Even though he doesn't listen about guns he's plenty trustworthy.

I contacted him last week and told him i would be in town and needed to get some stuff.
He wanted to go and check on what he buried and went with me.

All the old timers around here know what i think of Taurus. This is just another example of why.
This is what one looks like after some time in the ground (pvc caps just siliconed on)

All of my stuff was pristine..... but i would probably glue and silicone stuff if i were to bury it and i don't buy junk either

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
How does an Al frame pit like that?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Aluminum Oxide? Was anything else aluminum buried with it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Taurus quality???

I swore i'd never buy another TOS but i offered him $10. for it busting balls and he took it..........
But this thing is $100 worth of fun for 10 bux laughing about tos quality.

Lot's more pitting not pictured no way i would try and shoot it .That and i couldn't hammer the slide open rofl.

Really thinking about sending it in for warranty repair to see what they say rofl

Quoted:

nope in a tube by itself and pristine when it went in i saw it
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Crazy!
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]
What about the chemicals you used to seal the endcaps on the pvc tube? Could there have been enough to run down and get on the gun? How long was the tube berried?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taurus quality???

I swore i'd never buy another TOS but i offered him $10. for it busting balls and he took it..........

Lot's more pitting not pictured no way i would try and shoot it .That and i couldn't hammer the slide open rofl.

Really thinking about sending it in for warranty repair to see what they say rofl

Quoted:

Not a Taurus fan but you're being ignorant. That amount of corrosion on a Taurus would have caused significant damage to just about any other Al frame gun.

Some types of silicone sealants off gas acid (usually acetic). My guess is that's what happened here. User error.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The aluminum acted as a sacrificial anode for the steel barrel.  Lemme guess.  Genius didn't put any oxygen or water absorbants in the tube did he?  He also didn't know that RTV silicone offgasses acid and water as it hardens.  That's an expensive lesson.  You think he's smart enough to gain wisdom from this?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like some harleys I've seen in galveston
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
(pvc caps just siliconed on)

Theres your cause. If silicone smells like vinegar, even a little bit, it is corrosive. It will eat up most metals. Aluminum, being softer , is affected first. Eventually, all your guns would be junk.
I've seen cars that people sealed a leaking windshield on using the cheaper silicone and it just ate up the body around the repair.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#11]
coc
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 1:33:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Was there any moisture inside the tube when the gun was retrieved? I mean, I'm not a huge taurus fan either. I wouldnt ever buy one for myself because I consider them huge POS, but I also have seen than sort of corrosion, and it does look like its dissimilar metals corrosion, but I would also swear its been dunked in seawater. Strange, even for a Taurus.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#13]
That Taurus just realized it was a Taurus in there and commited suicide!
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:02:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:08:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Howdy acman,

Welcome back even if you still have the same view of Tarus as you did before.

I too still do not have a diesel

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Interesting post acman. I'm introducing myself here because I've only lurked here a bit and I'm not trying to piss people off anonymously.

I'm really curious, other than just the fact that it is a Taurus, why you think this would not have happend to another aluminum 1911 of quality manufacture? Or is my sarcasm meter broken?

Wouldn't you need to have included the higher quality gun in the same tube?

I'm not a huge science guy here, but your hypothesis seems to be based on emotion and not fact.

BTW-I concur about Taurus on many levels. I have owned a number of them and have sold more than I kept, but this is kind of like driving a Fiat off a cliff and then saying the reason the car did not run afterwards was because it was a Fiat.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:00:55 AM EDT
[#17]
"this is kind of like driving a Fiat off a cliff and then saying the reason the car did not run afterwards was because it was a Fiat."

Bad comparison. The reason Fiats don't run IS because they are Fiats. Fiat must be Italian slang for lemon.  Driving one off a cliff just makes it a better Fiat.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"this is kind of like driving a Fiat off a cliff and then saying the reason the car did not run afterwards was because it was a Fiat."

Bad comparison. The reason Fiats don't run IS because they are Fiats. Fiat must be Italian slang for lemon.  Driving one off a cliff just makes it a better Fiat.

My brother owns one. His name is Todd. The saying "Fix It Again Todd" has become very popular.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Boy,. a bit of cosmo, a heat shrink bag with some silica packets and that might not have happened.   do half a job get half a gun I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not the fault of Taurus.

Exactly.

It's an aluminum metal/corossion issue.

Bringing 'Taurus' quality into the equation is illogical and a result of our educational system.

Using acetic acid based RTV is also not bright since it as already mentioned outgasses acid vapors.

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a Rossi, which IIRC is manufactured by Taurus. .357/.38 sp wheelgun that has never failed to go bang. I like it. Never used to many of their autos. YMMV

Redman
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not the fault of Taurus.

Exactly.

It's an aluminum metal/corossion issue.

Bringing 'Taurus' quality into the equation is illogical and a result of our educational system.

Using acetic acid based RTV is also not bright since it as already mentioned outgasses acid vapors.

This...  Has nothing to do with being a Taurus as any gun or item of similar construction would have a similar result.

I have seen a Glock ankle carried for a year by a detective... Never taken out of the holster and never cleaned...  A year or so of snow salt and moisture caused that slide and action to lock up like no other...  Of course an hour or so soaked in PB blaster then taken apart, soaked some more then cleaned a lot and it was back into working condition.  The reason it was stuck was not because it is a Glock but because of improper maintenance care and forethought.
Steel is steel and will rust.
Aluminum is aluminum and will oxidize.
You can say similar statements for all materials.
Painting with a wide brush and what not.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#23]
So how can one tell if their silicone sealant is acetic acid based and will off gas acid vapor?  I've never had any issues with silicone sealer but most of my experience has been with automitive applications.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So how can one tell if their silicone sealant is acetic acid based and will off gas acid vapor?  I've never had any issues with silicone sealer but most of my experience has been with automitive applications.

If the silicone smells like vinegar it will off gas acetic acid (I think that's right)

That is correct.

As far as the corrosion is concerned, it's just due to improper caching technique, irrespective of sealant.

Has the same gun been cleaned, lubed, placed in a barrier bag with silica gel and O2 absorber, sealed,
and then overwrapped with mechanical protection and placed in a burial container sealed with whatever,
it'd look brand new when removed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Take it apart, coat it in grease, seal it in plastic with O2 absorbers and moisture absorbers.  Why did you use silicone instead of PVC cement?
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Failure.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#28]
LPS3 instead of cosmo and FYI silicone will not seal PVC. Also you do not have to use PVC glue. Instead get caps that are a tight fit and tap them on. Next apply a bead of Plumbers Goop around the joint.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#29]
You said your quality stuff was pristine.  Was it all sealed the same way?  What did you bury?
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Howdy acman,

Welcome back even if you still have the same view of Tarus as you did before.

I too still do not have a diesel

I'm not staying long i see the sarcasm meters are still broken and the tos defenders are still doing their best to hide the truth.......
I have lots of miles to put on my scooter .... Hitting the rode in a few days.

So many people ASSUME.

This was used http://www.amazon.com/44NC-Neutral-Automotive-Silicone-Sealant/dp/B000KZWKIK "shouldn't" be any chemical reaction at all (obviously their was doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that) along with  o2 absorbers and desiccant.
This isn't our first rodeo.

Quoted:
That Taurus just realized it was a Taurus in there and commited suicide!
FerFAL

Good to see some old timers around...... Does that mean a tos did something correct inadvertently

Quoted:
Interesting post acman. I'm introducing myself here because I've only lurked here a bit and I'm not trying to piss people off anonymously.

I'm really curious, other than just the fact that it is a Taurus, why you think this would not have happend to another aluminum 1911 of quality manufacture? Or is my sarcasm meter broken?

Wouldn't you need to have included the higher quality gun in the same tube?

I'm not a huge science guy here, but your hypothesis seems to be based on emotion and not fact.

BTW-I concur about Taurus on many levels. I have owned a number of them and have sold more than I kept, but this is kind of like driving a Fiat off a cliff and then saying the reason the car did not run afterwards was because it was a Fiat.

Just sarcasm good man.  I have no idea what caused the chemical reaction or if like ferfal said it just realised it was a taurus and did the right thing.
I know it most certainly shouldn't have happened the way it was done.

I hate tos with good cause and never pass an opportunity to point out their pp quality.

None of my quality aluminum was injured..... Really wish i had stuck one in with his just so i could bash tos with science.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Good to see you around acman. Hope life is treating you well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Sillycone sealant, in my experience, makes an unreliable seal when exposed to the elements.

It was the only real game in town for many years, but now I would suggest urethane sealant and it's adhesive properties are night and day beyond sillycone.

Urethane is available in the box hdwr stores for abt $5 a tube.

It is self curing and I use a lot of it. Works well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#33]
dup
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Good to see you man , I just checked in from a hiatus a week or so too .  
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taurus quality???

Quoted:

a guy recently had a sig sauer, that was having the frame flake apart like that, from being in a foam case that got wet.

i had a crkt pocket knife, stored in a pole barn,  in a cardboard box, touching the ground and the box got wet. the crkt alloy frame had a few large chunks missing.  if the gun had been oiled and at least ziplocked, it would probably been fine. i would have vac sealed it, well oiled, and wrapped in a oily rag.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm gonna' chock this one up to learning at someone else's expense.

For shits and giggles I'd send it in for warranty repair just to see their response.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#37]
What about covering it in melted marshmallow? I think that may have saved it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top