Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2011 10:30:55 AM EDT
Check out this non-typical buck that my brother got last weekend @ the the Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge.
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
That is one very interesting rack right there....
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw some pics of that thing last week. Crazy looking. There's a lot of those really trashy looking big bucks like that with a lot of stickers and palmation in that area. I think they look awesome. Tell him congrats!
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I saw some pics of that thing last week. Crazy looking. There's a lot of those really trashy looking big bucks like that with a lot of stickers and palmation in that area. I think they look awesome. Tell him congrats!

Will do!
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#4]
There's been several nice bucks out of Hagerman so far. Much better than what I saw coming out of it last year. What section are they hunting this year, do you know?
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's been several nice bucks out of Hagerman so far. Much better than what I saw coming out of it last year. What section are they hunting this year, do you know?

I do not know. I will ask him tonight. He as been selected five times to hunt at Hagerman.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Barnes TSX?

When did they start making the TSX with 4 blades on it?

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#8]
that's one crazy looking rack right there! Nice arrow shot too by the way!
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Barnes TSX?

No, he was using Slick tricks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#10]
VERY cool rack!
Congratulations to your brother and thanks to you for posting pics!
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow that's an awesome deer.  Congratulations to your brother.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys! I will share this with him.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Wow that's an awesome deer.  Congratulations to your brother.

+1.

Very nice, indeed.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]
That is one cool rack!  I cant decide whether I am glad that one is out of the gene pool though...
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Crazy rack on that one. Nice deer, oh and nice mopar too
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 2:51:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Barnes TSX?

Hagerman and the rest of Grayson County are bow only. There is no rifle season.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 4:03:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 4:24:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Barnes TSX?

Hagerman and the rest of Grayson County are bow only. There is no rifle season.

Shows what the hell know.

Don't feel bad, most people that don't live or hunt here have no idea that Texas has a county without a rifle season.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Crazy rack on that one. Nice deer, oh and nice mopar too

Good eye! I was wondering if someone would notice it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Very cool looking.  Great shot too!
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That is one cool rack!  I cant decide whether I am glad that one is out of the gene pool though...

Taking this one out won't matter. Lots of those genetics out there in that area. Here's another one that got killed out at Hagerman this last weekend.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is his write up on another fourm.

This was a hunt of a lifetime that I will never forget. Hagerman gave up one of their resident bucks that was well know for the past several years.

It started back in 1999 when my buddy Rod and I took the IBEP course so I could apply for the Hagerman hunts. After hunting there for the first time, I fell in love with it. It is such a different type of hunt where no baiting is allowed and you have three days to make someting happen. Scouting, your hunting skills and a lot of luck is what you need during these hunts.

I have been selected to hunt five times over the years and have never crossed paths with a big buck until this year.

Saturday morning I was in my stand at 5:20 AM waiting for daylight. Before legal shooting light I had three does walk under my stand and then drift off to the east of me. I thought to myself, things are starting out good.

About 15 minutes before shooting light I hear a buck to the west of me thrashing a tree with his horns. He was getting after it, breaking braches and making my pulse rise. He sounded like he was about 75 to 100 yards away from me. As I hoped he would come my direction, I started going over my shooting lanes and remembering the yardage for each one, just in case.

Legal shooting light arrived and I found myself looking around wondering where the buck went as I did not hear him any more. All of a sudden, he pops out at 35 yards. I look at his antlers and think what the heck is that. My first thought is he is a freak and my second thought was will he meet the 13 inch rule.

I didn't take a shot at him when he was in my first shooting lane because I had not seen the width of his antlers. He satrted walking from the west to the east right past my second shooting lane but I still had not seen a front view of his spread. He got to my third shooting lane and stopped and started feeding on grass. It was perfect text book broad side at twenty yards. I drew my bow, grunted at him with my mouth to see if he would look at me so that I could determine if his spread was at least 13 inches. Well, he looked up and I could see the left side went out past his ear and the other side was right at his ear. I placed my 20 yard pin on the sweet spot and pulled the trigger. Thwack! A good solid hit and off he went.

I couldn't see in the direction he went due to tree branches but I heard the death groan and knew he was done. When I walked up to him I was in shock to say the least.

His final spread was determined to be 15.5 inches. He had a live weight of 156 pounds. He was aged at 6 years old and the Hagerman rangers knew this buck well.

I would like to say thank you to the Hagerman Staff and to Dale, the Grayson game warden for their help. Also to TBH'er Dreamer1 (Scott) for helping me cape and quarter the deer.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#25]
both bucks....   AWSOME  
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top