Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow. Good chapter. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Need mooooooore!

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the update. Got anymore of those?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:38:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Chapter 38

Livin on the road my friend, was gonna keep you free and clean
Now you wear your skin like iron
Your breath as hard as kerosene

Pancho and Lefty, written by Townes Van Zandt

Colt stood tall and proud, with his rifle slung across his chest, and all around him, the ruined fortress of the Pale smoldered.  Soot, blood, sweat, and smeared camouflage paint stained his face.  Columns of smoke twisted upward from the destroyed houses and outbuildings.  Here and there, small grass fires still burned.  And all around lay the bodies.  Shot and shattered and blown apart, dead Pale lay everywhere.  The sun had barely risen and already swarms of black flies buzzed about the compound.  Scattered between the bodies was spent brass.  In some places, like around the Quad-Fifty, it stood in mountains.

There were live bodies too.  Colt's team rescued the enslaved women from their subterranean dungeon.  They'd rescued the captive children too.  True to his boast, Doc revived the drowned child through a combination of good CPR and a greater miracle.  Now the rescued women and children huddled together and awaited their uncertain future.  There were captive Pale too. Corralled and under guard, they did not speak.

Beside Colt stood Eldra.  No longer flirtatious and coy, she now burned with anger.

"This wasn't our deal.  This isn't what I asked for," Eldra said.

"You wanted us to free your hostage.  We freed your hostage, and these Pale won't be taking any more of your people hostage ever again."

Eldra surveyed the damage.  She rolled her big, bedroom eyes and shook her head.

"You've saddled me with a humanitarian crisis.  I wanted my hostage freed. Mine.  Not all these others."  She gestured towards the freed captives, each finger tipped with blood-red polish.  "What am I supposed to do with them?  I know you aren't going to take them."

Colt chewed on a blade of grass, spat, and said, "I expect you'll take them in.  That or outfit them and send them on the road again.  Although, I doubt they'll last long on the road.  Not in their current condition."

"No, they won't," Eldra said with a heavy dose of venom.  "They've all been raped to insanity and drugged out of their minds.  The kids too, probably.  What the hell am I going to do with a whole gang of drugged-out basket cases?  The merciful thing would be to shoot them all now and put them out of their misery.

"I wouldn't do that," Colt said.

"Oh no? Is it like that now? You're calling all the shots?"

"I'm calling this one," Colt said.  "I don't like the idea of tolerating evil, and given that I'm a Spartan Knight, with a whole team of Spartan Knights, I don't have to tolerate it.  We sure didn't tolerate it from these Pale."

Eldra looked around the compound at all of this young Spartan's companions.  The old one and the one with one arm lazed beside the machine gun trailer.  They stood there just a touch too lazily.  The medic was on another side of the compound.  He was shaving, but he was keeping one eye on Eldra and her men.  The big one stood beside the rescued women.  He held one of her Lewis Guns at the low ready.  Nicky-Lee guarded the prisoners, and the short and dirty one she couldn't find at all.  All were spread out all over the compound.  All of them eyed Eldra and her guards warily.  Even Cora, her hair mussed and sweaty, eyed Eldra with caution.  Eldra was no dummy.  She saw this wasn't a fight she wanted.

"What the hell am I going to do with these refugees?"

"You're looking at this the wrong way.  The Pale are gone.  You own these mountains now.  And you own a working hydroelectric dam and a machine shop.  And now those machine guns too.  Before the summer is over, you can be running everything from here to Lake Tahoe.  In two years, you can be Queen of the entire Central Valley."

"I don't want to be Queen of the Central Valley.  That's how you get noticed by New Sparta, speaking of which, I want you all out of here.  If they notice you here, then they'll notice me, and I don't need that."

"We're ready to go when you are."

"The trucks are on their way down," Eldra said.  She pointed at the prisoners.  "Does your heart bleed for them too?"

"They're rapists and child murders.  They get what they get."

"Be ready to go in five minutes," Eldra said.  With that, she stalked off towards the prisoners.  Some of her people fell in behind her.  As she left, Lefranc ambled over to Colt.

"She seemed a bit less flirtatious than normal."

"She's miffed because she's getting saddled with all the refugees from the tunnels."

"Boo-hoo," Lefranc said.  He winced, grunted, and sat down on a nearby pile of firewood.  Colt could imagine the sound of the older man's joints creaking.

"You did the right thing, killing all these Pale fucktards.  Now she can do the right thing and help clean up the mess.  Hell, we just gave her the hostage plus the whole damn mountain to boot."

"I'm just glad she didn't try and double-cross us."

"Not yet, anyway.  I've got Robins pulling all the drive springs outta those fifties just to be safe.  We can hand them over when we're safe in this Jefferson place.  Hopefully, he can manage with one hand."

"I'm sure he can manage," Colt replied.  "You should have seen him in the house with that sub-gun of his. He wiped out a whole squad by himself."

"Having one arm doesn't seem to slow him down," Lefranc said.  "You ever wonder why the Crown Prince tagged him along on this lashup?"

"I did,"  Colt said.  "But I don't anymore.  He's here, and he's proven himself, several times over."

Lefranc looked over to where Cora sat, alone with her rifles.  She looked downcast.

"What's with you and Brown-Eyed Girl over there?"

Colt sat down next to Lefranc on the woodpile and said, "She wasn't completely honest with me."

"Some girl you just met out here in the Apocalypse, where it is all murder and rape and every man for themselves, she wasn't honest with you. Huh. You don't say."

Colt pointed up at the Pale's golem.  It was the only thing in the compound that made it through the battle unscathed.  "She knew what they did at their little ceremonies.  She knew they were going to murder all those kids, and she knew when we saw it, we'd tear this place apart."

"Well, good for her," Lefranc said.  Colt shot him a look.  Lefranc went on.

"We're just tourists.  She lives out here.  If anybody had a right to destroy these slavers, she did.  We were the only chance she was going to get for that.  Good for her for getting them all killed off, even if she did use us."

"I got no problem killing who needs to be killed.  I just don't like being duped into it.  I also don't like the fact that she put all you at risk as part of her power play."

Lefranc clapped Colt on the shoulder.  "Stop with the moral outrage.  We're all in this as much as you are."

Colt nodded, then looked up at the face of the Pale's golem.  He thought it looked like the carved faces of Easter Island.  "What do you suppose that was all about."

Lefranc shrugged.  "Who knows.  Something dumb.  It doesn't matter now, I guess."  The old sniper turned, looked over his shoulder, then spun his head back around and said, "It looks like you aren't the only one with girl troubles."

Ajax approached them tentatively, his face flushed bright red.  The source of his embarrassment was clear.  A woman, one that they'd pulled out of the tunnels, followed just one step behind him.  The moment she'd been set free, she latched onto the big machine gunner and followed him like a shadow.  He couldn't shake her or shoo her away, even though he tried.  Whenever Ajax stopped, she reached out and tried to take hold of his free hand, a move the big man clearly was not comfortable with.

What made the scene even more amusing was that this girl was almost as big as Ajax.  She stood well over six feet tall, and even though undernourished, she was still broad at the shoulders and the hips.  Blonde hair, dirty and knotted, hung halfway down her back.

"She picked the biggest one of us and claimed him as her own," Lefranc said in a whisper.

"She must have gone through hell down in those tunnels," Colt whispered. backs.  "It was medieval down there.  Can't say I'd blame her for wanting a protector."

"A girl that big shouldn't need a protector," Lefranc said.  "If we had another machine gun, I'd let her carry it."

Ajax stopped a few feet from Colt and Lefranc.  His face was candy apple red.  When he stopped, the girl stopped too.  She reached out and took hold of Ajax's hand.  The big man jumped at her touch and brushed her hand away.

"You two go together like peas and carrots," Lefranc said with a grin.

"She won't leave me alone," Ajax said.  "She's been following me around like a puppy dog all morning."

"Does she have a name?" Colt asked.

Ajax looked at the girl.  "She doesn't speak," he said apologetically.  "Not so much as a word."

"Probably too traumatized," Colt said.

"Well, what do I do?" Ajax pleaded.  "She won't leave me alone."

Colt and Lefranc looked at each other.  The older man shrugged.

"Well," Colt began.  "I can only imagine what she's been through.  They kept her locked up in a no-shit dungeon for who knows how long.  If you make her feel safe, and if she wants to follow you around, why not.  After all she's been through, maybe she deserves to feel safe, at least for a little while."

"How safe can she be with us?" Ajax asked.

"She'll be safer with us than any other creature on earth," Lefranc offered.

Ajax looked left, then right, then leaned in towards the others conspiratorially.  The big man seemed to try to make himself smaller, as if he was embarrassed to ask the next question.  That, plus the big man's bright red flush, made Ajax look ridiculous.

"But if they find out I'm fraternizing with a Gomorrah woman, I'll be in real trouble."

"What?" Lefranc asked.

"Back in New Sparta.  Fraternizing with Gomorrah women is against regulations.  If they find out about it back in the Emerald City, I could get in real trouble."

Lefranc snorted out a laugh.  Colt smiled.  

"Ajax, don't worry.  I think we're way beyond that now."

"But…"

"You'll be alright, big man," Lefranc said.  "Why don't you help Robins with the fifties.  Take your friend with you."

As Ajax departed, Christian approached.  He held a dirty pillowcase full of loot, and his uniform was in tatters.  Part of his collar had ripped free and fluttered at his neck.  He'd worn a hole in each trouser knee, and the crotch was ripped out. The seat of his pants hung in a flap.  But as always, he was in good spirits. Beneath the layers of dirt and soot on his face, he had the same foolish grin.

He looked from Ajax and his new companion to his leadership, then to the other freed women, then back to his command again.  He grinned, then jerked his thumb in the direction of the liberated women.

"Hey, so does this mean we can pick out…"

"No, it does not," Lefranc said curtly, cutting him off.  "So, don't even ask."

"Shit, man.  No fair.  Big Boy got to rock the Quad-Fifty, and now he gets the girl too."

"He's not getting anything, so knock it off."

Christian shrugged, grinned, then opened the pillowcase up to reveal a bevy of pistols, knives, jewelry, ammunition, and other loot.

"I figured I'd grab the best stuff before Witchy-Witch and her people got down here and took it all.  I imagine we aren't taking the Quad-Fifty with us?"

"It’s a little big."

"That's a shame," Christian said.  "I never even got to fire it."  He rummaged through his pillowcase, then came up with a few pistol magazines and some thick, squat cartridges.

"Here you go, Master Guns.  Some reloads for your pistol."

"Thanks," Lefranc said, taking the gear.  "Most of the pistols you have look like shit.  But we'll take every round we can get."

"No shit," Christian said.  "Ajax is outta machine gun ammo.  We've got no grenades left and no rockets.  Just a handful of carbine ammo between the lot of us.

"Got something special for you too, boss."  Christian reached into the pillowcase and pulled out a war hammer with a spiked head.  "I found this sticking outta some guy's skull.  I'm guessing that was your handy work."

"Yeah," Colt said, remembering.  "Guy tried to go hand-to-hand on me with it."

Christian offered the hammer to Colt.  Colt looked at the dirty grenadier like he was crazy.

"What am I going to do with this?" Colt asked.  He took the hammer but eyed it skeptically.

"You're gonna bash people with it, of course."

"I can't imagine needing to bash so many people that I'd have to carry a hammer around.  You keep it," Colt said, passing the hammer back.  

Christian held his hands up in refusal.  "I'm not the offspring of The Hammer, you are.  Keep it.  It will enhance your post-apocalypse warlord persona."

"I neither need nor want a persona,"  Colt said.  He took a practice swing with the hammer. It was well balanced, and the heft of it felt good.  Still.  "It feels like I'm holding a swagger stick.  I hate swagger sticks."

"Quit being difficult," Christian said.  "It makes you look like a bad-ass.  Like Alexander walking around with that black arrow.  Plus, you beat somebody with it, you'll feel really good."

"Alright," Colt said grudgingly. "I'll hang onto it for now."

"We'll be heading out soon.  See if you can scrounge up some food," Lefranc said to Christian.  He nodded and took off.  Once the little man was out of earshot, Lefranc turned to Colt.

"You did good, Sir.  You did real good."

Colt smiled.  "Thanks, Master Guns."

Two trucks pulled into the compound through the smashed gate.  They threw up dust when they stopped.  Tailgates dropped, and soon Colt and his companions loaded into the back with all their gear.

Before they left, Robins pointed at the golem with his one hand.  "Check it out," he said.

Two of Eldra's largest guards carried John Pale to the foot of his golem.  His legs, shattered by Christian's grenade, dragged along uselessly along the ground.  They all watched as the guards chained the Pale Chieftain to the base of his monolith.  That done, red fuel cans came out.  John Pale screamed and pleaded for mercy as he and the golem he sacrificed innumerable children to, were doused in fuel.  Then Eldra came out.

Her cape fluttering behind her, Eldra drew out a road flare.  She struck its red end alight, let it burn for a few moments, then she tossed it onto the golem.  John Pale, slaver, rapist, kidnapper, torturer, and the murderer of children, wailed.  He wailed until he stopped, and the flames climbed up and devoured the golem.

Eldra marched back to the truck, her hair and cape tossed by the wind.  Her formerly coquettish demeanor now stern.  She took one look into the back of the truck, locked eyes with Colt, and said, "Time to go."  Cora, rifle in hand, swung into the cab of another truck and slammed its rusty door shut.

The trucks drove back out the gate.  From the beds, Colt as his companions watched the golem burn out of existence.

Lions

Inside the command center back in the Emerald City, Lions watched the two trucks leave the compound and head deeper into the mountains.

"Sir," an operations clerk interrupted.  "The drone is bingo for fuel.  If it doesn't head back to refuel now, we're going to lose that one too."

"We have anything else on station?" Lions asked.  His voice was mechanical.  His eyes never left the video display.

"We have more inbound, but there would be a gap in coverage."

"We'll sacrifice this one too," Lions said.  He didn't know whose fortress now burned on the big screen.  What he did know was that with nothing more than a reinforced fireteam, The Colonel's kid flattened the compound and destroyed all resistance in a matter of minutes.

"When will we have that Morning Star available?"  Lions asked.  His eyes didn't waver from the screen.

"A few more hours," the clerk answered.  Lions only nodded in reply.  Greylick was pushing to get a Morning Star on station and operational.  Lions heard that the resupply mission had hit some snags, that they'd lost an astronaut.  He didn't know if that was true, but he didn't need to know.  That was Greylick's business.  Chief Marshal Gorman's agenda was his.  Sacrifices would be required from everybody.

"Stay on them," Lions ordered.  "Let's see where they go."

He had a wild idea of where they were going.  He wanted to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for another update.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By greyguy:
Thanks for another update.
View Quote

Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the update. I check the thread every day hoping for more.  Much appreciated
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you. On the one hand, I hope there’s a reckoning soon. On the other hand, maybe that’s in the third book....?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Vaquero:
Thank you. On the one hand, I hope there's a reckoning soon. On the other hand, maybe that's in the third book....?
View Quote

My thoughts exactly!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:56:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Chapter 38 Part II

The trucks bounced along dirt roads, taking Colt's team deeper into the mountains.  Nobody said anything for the first few miles.  Then, Christian spoke up.

Looking at Robins, Christian said, "I think it's time you got a call sign."

"I do not need a call sign," Robins responded.  "I have a name."

"Yeah, but Robins sounds kinda, meh."  Christian raised one hand up flat, then gently rocked it from side to side.  "Like, you just wiped out a whole squad.  You need a solid handle.  You know, to reinforce your bad-assed-ness.  Robins makes me think of Robin, like Batman's sidekick, wearing tights and opera masks and shit.  That ain't you."

"I don't need a call sign," Robins said.

"He totally needs a call sign," Doc said, his tone flat, his face displaying no amusement.  The truck hit a bump, and they all shot two inches up out of their seats before slamming down again.

"I'm thinking," Christian made a flourish with his hands, "Reno."

"I like Reno," Ajax said.  His mute, hanger-on sat next to him.

"I like Reno.  Reno's good.  One of the Hong Kong Cavaliers was named Reno," Nicky-Lee added.

"Who the hell are they?" Lefranc asked, not actually wanting or expecting an answer.

"Why Reno," Robins asked?

"Simple.  You've got one arm.  Back in the Pre-Protest days, gambling machines were called 'One-Armed Bandits.  Now, in the once was United States, you could only find these One-Armed Bandit gambling machines in one city.  Just one city.  And that city was, Reno.  Therefore, you are Reno."

Robins scrunched up his face and said, "That doesn't make any sense."

"By the laws of call-signs, it makes perfect sense," Doc said.

"Easy for you to say," Robins replied.  "You're a medic.  Your call-sign is Doc.  That makes sense.  Gentle giant over there is ten feet tall and would eat a live horse if he could find one.  Ajax makes sense.  But Reno?  Reno doesn't make sense."

"You don't like Reno?"  Lefranc asked.

"I don't."

Lefranc smiled, the many lines at his eyes showing.  "It's settled then.  You're Reno from now on."

"If you like your call-sign, it isn't a good one," Doc added.  Reno, once Robins, rolled his eyes.

The trucks pulled into an open field.  The ground was flat and level and covered with a stubble of short green grass.  At one end of the field sat an old airplane.  A very old airplane.  It sported a propeller on each wing, and not the tiltrotor types of the Spartan Griffins.  The fuselage also wasn't sleek, but instead dotted with several raised organic-looking bumps.  Some of Eldra's people scrambled around it, prepping it for flight.  The trucks stopped, and everybody clambered out with their gear.

"What the hell is that?" Doc asked.

"That,"  Robins answered.  "Is a Douglas C-47 Dakota transport plane."

"A what?"  Doc asked.

"How old is it?" Lefranc asked.

"Older than you," Robins answered. "Looks like it has been modified too."  He walked over to the aircraft and ran a hand down the fuselage appreciatively.  "I don't recall them being painted flat black, or the fuselage having these, blister looking things."

"That is stealth technology, my dear.  The paint absorbs both radar and lidar, and the bumps are electronic countermeasures pods.  As you are an aficionado, you've no doubt noticed that we've elongated the mufflers and redesigned the tips of the propellers.  Altogether they make this plane both invisible and silent."

All heads turned.  Eldra exited the truck's cab with a flourish.  Her thick red hair and the tails of her long leather duster tossed out behind her.  Her flirtatious manner had returned.  She walked past Ajax and scratched the back of his neck with her long red nails.  The big man flushed beat red at her touch.  In her other hand, Eldra held a pair of elbow-length leather gloves.  When she walked past Reno, she swung the gloves like a whip and struck him on the ass, making him jump a foot and yelp.

"It is also easy to maintain and big enough to get all of you to Jefferson in one trip."

"That's not a plane.  That's an antique."  Doc said.  "Where did you get this thing?"

Eldra's red lips curled into a sly smile.  "It used to belong to a guy named Paul Allen."

"Who's Paul Allen," Christian asked.  A smear of chew spittle hung off his lower lip.

"Somebody with an affection for… "  Eldra stopped in front of Lefranc, looked him up and down, then smoothed out his collar with her manicured hands.  "Somebody with an affection for vintage war horses."  She winked once at the old man, then spin away.

"In any event, it will get you out of here."

"How sure are you of this stealth tech?" Colt asked.

"Dear boy, you are the first Spartans to have ever laid eyes upon this work of art."

"Yeah, but what about the plane?" Nicky-Lee asked.  Eldra gave him a wink.

"Are you the pilot?" Colt asked.

"Of course, silly boy.  Now shut up and get in."

Eldra climbed into the plane without looking back.  Colt looked at Doc, who shrugged and followed Eldra inside.  The others grabbed their gear and climbed up the gangway: Lefranc, Nicky-Lee, Ajax, and his new friend.  Before Colt could take his turn, Cora cut in front of him, rifle slung over her back.

"You're coming too?" Colt asked.

"Of course.  I'm the copilot," Cora said.  She paused, looked at Colt, and gave him a brief but sincere smile.  Then she too disappeared into the aircraft.

Resigned, Colt climbed aboard.

Minutes later, the old C-47 took flight.  Staying low to the ground, it vectored west-northwest towards Jefferson.

Lions

"I knew it,"  Lions said to nobody in particular. All around him, operational planners in their distinct black uniforms buzzed and hummed, busy as bees in a hive.

"Colonel," one of the planners began. "We're tracking this aircraft optically, but the drone's sensors are picking it up at all.  We think that paint must be some kind of stealth technology."

Colonel Lions answered the clerk with a noncommittal grunt.  He checked the status board with a glance.  The drone trailing the aircraft would be out of fuel in minutes.  For Lions, that wasn't an issue.  He didn't need to bring in another drone to follow the mystery plane because he knew where it was going.

"Plot the most likely course based on its current vector, then project it onto the big map," Lions ordered.  Then he left the floor of the operations center and headed back into his office.  He had three calls to make, but he wouldn't make the last two until he saw where the plane landed.  His first call went to General Greylick.

"We'll have the first Morning Star ready for you within the hour.  It the latest generation, with directed energy weapon and railgun capabilities."

Lions did the math in his head; speed, distance, and time.  "Roger, General.  I need it to cover this location," Lions replied, and he read to the general required coordinates. The call ended shortly after.

Lions went back into the operations center to watch and wait.  He did more math in his head.  If his hunch was right, and he was confident it was, the next twenty-four hours would be busy.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy shit.  Nice chapter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#16]
WOW nice.

I laughed at this line.

"Me?  She's not my type.  Not dirty enough.  Pointy elbows.  Plus, that girl's an officer type broad if there ever was one.  Besides, I'm saving myself for the queen bee.  That Eldra, with her red hair.  A hot, older, red-headed witch.  Damn."?

typo here

"Colonel," one of the planners began. "We're tracking this aircraft optically, but the drone's sensors are picking it up at all.  We think that paint must be some kind of stealth technology."
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:37:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: greyguy] [#17]
Thanks for the update! It's looking like they had better haul ass if they want to make it to Jefferson in one piece. Hopefully they will be able to notice the Spartan drone before it goes down.

One more typo:

"We'll have the first Morning Star ready for you within the hour.  It's the latest generation, with directed energy weapon and railgun capabilities."
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By greyguy:
Thanks for the update! It's looking like they had better haul ass if they want to make it to Jefferson in one piece. Hopefully they will be able to notice the Spartan drone before it goes down.

One more typo:

View Quote

We'll see what happens.  I think I'll have this wrapped up in two more chapters.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Sweet more chapters. Thanks for the efforts.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sharkman6:

We'll see what happens.  I think I'll have this wrapped up in two more chapters.
View Quote

This engagement, this book, or as much as you're going to post here before we can buy the rest?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

This engagement, this book, or as much as you're going to post here before we can buy the rest?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sharkman6:

Two more chapters until the end of this book.  I'm posting the whole thing (minus a few chapters I skipped over).  Figured if you guys stuck with it this long, you deserved the whole thing.  Thanks for that.
Outlining it out, around 8 more Character Perspectives.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for the story.

I totally would have bought it though.

Do you have any more plans for this universe? (Or the universe of Sean Bastle?)
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you for the story.

View Quote

Please say yes.  Please say yes.  Please say yes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I will buy a copy of this one as well. And the Bastile series. I would love a paper copy if you do that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:19:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Thank you for the story.

View Quote

Two more books from this universe.  The very end of this "Book" I hope will set things up nicely for the next book.  And some Spin-offs maybe.  I wrote stuff into the Spartan's Ashes to lay the groundwork for expanding the universe.

I need to finish From the Sea from the Sean Bastle universe, and would like to write one more full length book for that, though I'm not ready to do that yet.  I think I'll time that to coincide when I retire from my second job.

I get most of my writing done at work... Its easier to write at work than at home.  This wasn't a good week for writing though.  Hopefully the next installment will be out next Monday/Tuesday.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Keep up the good work, I am always happy to see updates.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Colt

On the plane ride, the others slept or murmured amongst themselves.  Colt sat alone at the window and watched the landscape streak by.  The old warplane flew West-Northwest.  Below, mountains descended and leveled off into the flat plain of the Central Valley, made brown again as the desert reclaimed it.  Then the dusty plains rose again.  Rugged foothills climbed and grew and morphed into a coastal mountain range.  The flat scrubland was replaced by high peaks and deep valleys, all thickly forested with tall green trees.  Water raged down the draws and ravines and emptied into fast-flowing rivers heading west.  Here and there were signs of the old civilization; deserted farms, derelict towns, abandoned cars on the sides of cracked and broken highways.

When the coastal range descended again towards the ocean, fields of windswept yellow-green grass replaced the forest.  The plane banked to starboard.  Out of the port window, Colt saw the Pacific Ocean, a blue-gray sheet of glass that ended in gunmetal haze at the horizon.  The plane continued north along the coast.  Below, Elk herds grazed.  Colonies of Sealions sunning themselves on rocky beaches.  Colt saw a lighthouse and cabling station, both abandoned and forgotten a century before the Protest was even an idea.

"Prep for landing," Eldra said.  Colt shifted in his seat so he could look through the cockpit and out the windscreen.  Ahead a grass slope rose steeply from the beach, then leveled off into a long broad shelf before climbing again.  The plane shuddered as it slowed.   Colt heard the mechanical sounds of landing gear going down and flaps going up.  Then, the old Dakota bounced down another runway of grass and hard-packed dirt.  The plane slowed, stopped, and the twin propellers slowly whirred until they stopped.  When the plane's door opened, Eldra turned to Nicky-Lee.

"Well, Nicky boy, I brought you back.  Let's see what kind of reception they give you and your friends."  She smiled with a smile that was too knowing for Colt's taste.

Christian was the first to file out of the plane.  He held a shotgun in one hand, and his carbine/grenade launcher combo in the other, and his olive drab demolition satchel hung from his neck.  It swung back and forth like a pendulum as he walked down the center aisle.  The others followed suit.  Colt came out last.  As his boots touched the grass runway, a section of the nearby mountain slid away, revealing a massive hidden door.   Beyond that, deep darkness loomed.

"A hidden base," Doc said.  "Hidden inside the mountain ."
"The mountain is hollowed out," Nicky-Lee explained.  "We call it The Hole.  All of Jefferson is under there.  Hidden.  Safe."

"How deep does it go?" Colt asked.

"Deep," Nicky-Lee assured him.  "Very deep."

Then, from out of the darkness, the people of Jefferson came out to meet them.

Colt was a fully trained Spartan Knight, which meant he was trained in the art diplomacy as well as war.   Upon landing, he had prepared himself to play the role of a diplomat, the first Spartan to contact this new and mysterious Jefferson.  He did not know precisely what kind of reception he and his companions might receive, but he expected something formal.  A welcoming committee, an envoy, an ambassador, maybe even an honor guard.  Instead, what came out of the mountain was a throng of individuals.  Each Jeffersonian seemed to be thrown in randomly with the others, with none of the familiar Spartan unity existing between any two.  They came out tentatively at first, exiting in ones and twos.  Soon, a whole mob came out.  Only, it was less than a mob.  Mobs are loosely unified in their purpose.  This seemed a collection of people entirely at odds with each other because rather than address their new arrivals directly, these people of Jefferson turned upon themselves.  The people looked Colt and companions up and down, and Eldra and Cora, and Nicky-Lee.  Then, they turned on themselves.

"Eldra's back."

"Eldra can't be back.  We never voted to let her back."

"We never voted to let her leave either?"

"We never voted to let Nicky-Lee come and go either."

"I get a say in this.  This is a Cosmopolitan Democracy."

"This doesn't affect you."

"It affects me more than you!"

"Yeah?  Let's see what the committee says about that?"

Men and women, young and old, they filed out of the mountain, looked the wild travelers over, then set upon themselves with arguments and counterarguments.  Shouts and shrieks.  Reason rhetoric and angst-ridden wailing.

"Why wasn't I told Eldra would be coming back?  What has your committee been doing?"

"We never voted on any of this!"

"You don't get to vote on this!  This doesn't impact you!"

"These are Spartans.  Nobody ever told me Spartans were coming here!  When was this decided?"

Instead of introducing himself to the Jeffersonian leadership, Colt stood back and carefully observed the crowd.  He watched as fingers wagged in faces.  He watched as arms flailed with oratorical flourishes.  He listened as dozens of voices simultaneously tried to make their arguments and shout all the others down.  Physically, they were an unimpressive bunch to Colt's eyes.  He saw pale skin, probably from living underground.  The Jeffersonians' bodies were skinny where they should have been thick with muscle, and thick where they should have been slim.  They looked well-fed, but perhaps to the point of excess.  They were well clothed, but in an individual and strangely ostentatious way.  A t-shirt caught Colt's attention. It was a newly printed shirt of a rock band long passed before the Protest.  Why make a new version of a shirt like that, Colt asked himself?  He noticed similar new versions of old shirts in the crowd, depicting 1980's toy robots, Pre-Protest television shows, consumer products from companies long gone to dust.  To Colt, it all had an uneasy feeling of immaturity to it, of childlike innocence, of naivete in a life-and-death world of kill or die.

"You need to convene a committee now," a woman with cropped blonde hair shrieked at a balding, middle-aged spindly man wearing a blue sweatshirt depicting humanoid cats armed with swords.

Lefranc walked up to Colt's side and surveyed the crowd.  He looked a wild and dangerous figure, with pistols and knives in his belt, a shotgun on his back, a rifle in his hand, and an unkempt beard sprouting in all directions.  The old man spat into the grass and dust, his disgust evident.  "It is like we ain't even here."

Colt's hazel eyes flashed left and right.  Two people in the shouting mass stood out to him.  The first was an enormous older woman who wore a purple muumuu, a dozen thick, beaded necklaces, and no shoes.  Her dirty feet were hairy, with sickly looking, yellow nails.  Her voice was shrill and unpleasant yet carried influence over the crowd.

"We must immediately convene the necessary committees to address not only this return but also the recent departures.  We are a Cosmopolitan Democracy.  I assure you all there will be accountability."

The second figure Colt marked was a bald, plump, middle-aged man.  He wore a breezy turquoise robe and thong sandals with platform heels.  He had a mincing manner and was physically unimpressive, but Colt detected a cold reptilian cunning in the fat man's eyes.  Those cold reptilian eyes poured over Colt and his companions, undoubtedly making their own assessment.  Colt knew this one was dangerous too.

More shouts rose above the chatter, and again that same statement.  "We're a Cosmopolitan Democracy."

Colt turned his attention from the squabbling crowd to his traveling companions.  Eldra removed her leather flying helmet.  She shook her head, and fiery red locks broke free and cascaded out in all directions.  She caught Colt's eye and gave him a wink and a devilish smile that said, 'Who's laughing now?'  Cora, standing next to Eldra, unslung her rifle and looked over the arguing throng.  She shook her head with disdain.  Colt could tell she'd seen this all before, and it tired her.  Nicky-Lee, the one who brought them here, looked embarrassed more than anything else.

Then there were his Spartans.  One and all, they came from a world of order and discipline, a martial society of centralized planning and authority, of uniformity and conformity, and unity of action. The squabbling, shrieking display of chaotic individuality before them was as scary as any Gomorrah horde.  Doc's eyes panned left and right over the crowd.  He looked like he might go to his carbine and fire into the crowd at any moment.  Robins, now Reno, stared dumbfounded with his mouth agape.  The still-unnamed girl standing next to Ajax reached for his hand.  He took her hand and held it tight.

A man pushed through the crowd, heading right for Nicky-Lee.  He was dressed like a cowboy, or more accurately, what somebody might think a cowboy dressed like if all they knew of cowboys was what they saw in Westerns from the 1960s.  He wore a cowboy hat, a chambray shirt, and a thick belt of hand-tooled leather.  In the crook of his arm, he held a lever-action rifle.  A stubby suppressor caped its octagonal barrel.  He shifted the rifle to his other arm and extended a hand to Nicky-Lee.

"Good to see you back, Nicky.  I confess we'd given you up for dead."

"Almost was, several times over.  These fellas saved me more than once," Nicky replied, and he gestured to his Spartan compatriots.  Colt offered his own hand.

"Colton," he introduced himself.

"Rory," the man answered.  "Rory Calhoun."  Reno's brows knitted in puzzlement, but he said nothing.  Rory turned back to Nicky-Lee.

"Looks like your return caused quite the stir."

"Yeah.  Looks like nothing's changed," Nicky said.

"You still got Jekyll with you?"  Rory asked.

Nicky-Lee frowned with shame and showed Rory the obsidian like fragments of the supercomputer.  "Jekyll took a round, center mass.  Turns out, Jekyll wasn't bulletproof."

Rory shook his head, then glanced at the shrieking woman with the bare feet.  "She ain't gonna like that."

"She doesn't like anything, except maybe the sound of her own voice.  Where's Hyde at?"

"Still locked up downstairs in the dungeon."

An earsplitting shriek stopped the conversation.   The barefoot woman in the print gown screamed at the fat man.

"We never voted on whether or not they could land!  We never voted on it!  Eldra took our plane.  We never said she could leave.  We never said Nicky-Lee could leave, or take Jekyll.  We still have to vote on that!  We have to vote.  People must have their say.  This is a Cosmopolitan Democracy!"  Other Jeffersonians around her joined in, shrieking and chatting and clucking like angry chickens.

"What, exactly," Doc began. "Is a cosmopolitan democracy?"

Nicky-Lee looking at the men and women trying to shout each other down.  Embarrassed, he sighed heavily and answered.  "A Cosmopolitan Democracy is a place where everybody talks, and nothing ever actually gets done."

Christian wiped at his chin.  The move smeared his dribble of chew spit across his patchy beard.  He frowned at Colt.

"What's that saying, boss?  The one about frying pans and fires?"

The screaming continued.  Fat men and old biddies screaming and screeching at each other.

Colt looked up at the sky and said quietly, "We should get inside… now."

High overhead, beyond the Earth's atmosphere, the unblinking electric eyes of Morning Star 2/24 stared back down at Colt and his friends.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#29]
Thanks for the update!

I have to say that so far the people of Jefferson aren't what I was expecting.

I guess I had it in my mind from when Nicky- Lee was talking to the colonel in the last book that Jefferson was going to be a society not unlike new Sparta but more focused on tech than combat.

Nicky-Lee was one of my favorite characters from the last book. I'm glad that you have fleshed him and his people out in this book.

Good show, OP. I'm excited to see where this is going.

ETA: any plans for exploring what Nicky-Lee went through before he met the Colonel and between hijacking the morning stars and meeting up with Colt and crew?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the update
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the update!

I have to say that so far the people of Jefferson aren't what I was expecting.

I guess I had it in my mind from when Nicky- Lee was talking to the colonel in the last book that Jefferson was going to be a society not unlike new Sparta but more focused on tech than combat.

Nicky-Lee was one of my favorite characters from the last book. I'm glad that you have fleshed him and his people out in this book.

Good show, OP. I'm excited to see where this is going.

ETA: any plans for exploring what Nicky-Lee went through before he met the Colonel and between hijacking the morning stars and meeting up with Colt and crew?
View Quote
It sounds exactly what I'd expect a bunch of techies to sound like.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:52:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greyguy] [#32]
Thanks for the update.

Someone in Jefferson likes The Thundercats eh?

"You need to convene a committee now," a woman with cropped blonde hair shrieked at a balding, middle-aged spindly man wearing a blue sweatshirt depicting humanoid cats armed with swords.
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By greyguy:
Thanks for the update. 

Someone in Jefferson likes The Thund­ercats eh?

Nice!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By greyguy:
Thanks for the update. 

Someone in Jefferson likes The Thund­ercats eh?

"You need to convene a committee now,­" a woman with cropped blonde hair shrieked a­t a balding, middle-aged spindly man wearing a blue sweatshirt de­picting humanoid cats armed with swords.

Nice!

“Thunder, Thunder, ThunderCats Ho!”

Colt and his buddies get dumped into a city full of bickering, tech-nerd, Concerned Karens with a thing for the 80's and 90's and a self-aware super computer named Mr. Hyde...

I'm sure they'll fit right in.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Thanks for the update!

I ha­ve to say that so far the people of Jefferson­ aren't what I was expecting. 

I guess I had it in my mind from whe­n Nicky- Lee was talking to the colonel in the last b­ook that Jefferson was going to be a society ­not unlike new Sparta but more focused on tec­h than combat.

Nicky-Lee was one of my favorite characters from th­e last book. I'm glad that you have fleshed him and his p­eople out in this book.

Good show, OP. I'm excited to see where this is going.

ETA: any plans for exploring what Nicky-Lee went through before he met the Colonel an­d between hijacking the morning stars and mee­ting up with Colt and crew?
View Quote

We'll do a deep dive into Jefferson here in book II.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:30:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Chapter 39

Lions

"Sir, should we open fire?"

Colonel Lions did not speak.  He only stared, mesmerized by everything unfolding on the big screens before him.  It was all happening, now, in real-time, just as he had imagined it would.  Just as he hoped it would.  His mind raced at the possibilities.  His heart leapt at bringing this news to the Chief Marshal.

"Sir, should we open fire?"

"That's the last thing I want you to do," Lions finally answered.  He pointed at the screen, where even now, The Colonel's son looked up at the orbiting Morning Star.  The kid, with that old-timer Lefranc standing next to him, and the three other members of his fire team from the Knights Course.  All five of them were there, right there, right where he knew they would be.

Colonel Lions made a career out of his stoic professionalism, out of his military bearing.  He was always poised, always reserved, always in control of himself and his environment.  All that discipline vanished as he watched The Colonel's son and his compatriots head inside the secret based carved into the mountain.  "Print that out.  Print it all out!"  Lions ordered.  He shouted at the clerks, his mouth frothed, his voice quavered.

"Print it!" He ordered again.  His words were not a shouted command, but a shriek fueled by emotion and loss of control.  Clerks and planners scrambled in all directions.  Papers flew.  Hands typed frantically.  The tapping of their keystrokes sounded like a drummer beating, "to arms." The big screens in the command post flicked.  The printer whirred, spitting out paper copies of the satellite's photos, printed copied that could never be traced back to the Chief Marshal.

"Print it!"

Five minutes later,  Colonel Lions was in a staff car speeding through the streets of the Emerald City.  In the back seat, Lions frantically went through the printed photos, sorting, collating, tossing out the redundant, and the unnecessary.  Ahead, the Chief Marshal's tower loomed larger, and larger, and larger.

The Crown Prince

The Crown Prince had searched through his office a hundred times already.  Now he searched it again.  It had been here before, on the corner of his usually cluttered desk.  That was where it always sat, since the first day he took over this office and his duties.  He hadn't taken it anywhere.  Why would he?  Where would he take it?

But it wasn't on his desk.  And it wasn't under any of the clutter scattered about the room either.  He'd searched all that already.  Nor was it stashed in any of the bookcases.  Even so, he searched it all again.  He sifted through the clutter and inspected the bookcases.  He opened drawers and looked under furniture.  He hadn't found it and resigned himself that he wasn't going to find it.  It would turn up, he decided.  It had to be somewhere after all.  It didn't just leave the office of its own accord, and it wasn't as if somebody would take such a trinket.

Checking his watch, the Crown Prince decided he needed to go.  Sentimentality would have to wait.  He considered his shotgun standing in the corner, decided against it, and left his office and then the building.

He spent thirty minutes getting to a place he could have walked to in five.  Most of the trip was taken up with false turns, doubling back, unnecessary stops, every technique he could think of to expose any tails he might have had after leaving his office.  He didn’t see any.  That didn't mean he wasn't being tracked, however.  The Chief Marshal loved his technological solutions.  For all the Crown Prince knew, a team of drones or even one of the newly refitted Morning Stars might be spying on him right now.  The Emerald City felt less like the capital of New Sparta and more like some Eastern European city amid the Cold War, a dark world of shadows and fear, spies and informants on every corner, teams of secret police ready to pounce, the politically unreliable marked for torture and death.

He found the three of them in an old city park.  The baseball diamond and bleachers were replaced long ago with military-style obstacle courses.  She was there, still wearing the black of mourning.  To her right stood Colonel Butler, dressed in civilian clothes.  To her left stood another Spartan officer, also in civilian clothes.  He stood tall and slender.  His blonde hair was just starting to go over to grey.

"Colonel Butler," the Crown Prince began.  "I thought you were back east, looking for our missing Spartans."

"Home on leave," Butler explained.  "And the trail on our missing men went cold long before I took on that mission.  Finding the missing Major Stuber and Sergeant Kimball was never the point, though.  The point was always to remove me from command of the numbered groups."

Elizabeth interrupted.  "Colonel Sparks is with the Corps of Engineers," she said, introducing the Crown Prince to the thin colonel.  The two men shook hands.  "Colonel Sparks will be deploying soon.  As a rising star in our officer corps, I thought it appropriate that the two of you should meet."

"Is that right?"  The Crown Prince asked dubiously.  "I wasn't aware of any deployments, not after all that's happened recently."

"None aside from the Chief Marshal secretly supplying the Gomorrah survivors from my husband's attack," Elizabeth answered.  "A secret that the Emerald City only pretends to keep.  In the light of day, everybody pretends to know nothing about it.  But in the dark and the shadows, whispers swirl."

Colonel Butler added,  "And he sent that idiot Needles down there as a liaison, with a team of capital guardsmen filling the role of advisors.  That's a mission for the Spartan Knights, not military police.  But he's got all the groups locked up in their barracks and me out chasing ghosts.  He's also put his Morning Stars back in action.  And he's done all this in secret."

"I know all of this already," the Crown Prince said impatiently.  His position on launching a coup against the Chief Marshal had not changed.  He would not be the one to launch his country into a civil war, no matter how much The Colonel's widow urged.  That blood would not fall on his hands.

Colonel Sparks stepped into the conversation.  "Perhaps I can explain.  My mission relates to civil engineering.  It is not a military operation.  I will be leading a regimental sized force tasked with investigating the remaining dam infrastructure along the Columbia River and its tributaries.  We'll see if there is anything left there to salvage."

"Okay," the Crown Prince replied slowly, not seeing the point.  Elizabeth jumped back in.

"Colonel Sparks will be out in the field, operating independently, with the equivalent of three combat engineer battalions under his command."

The Crown Prince saw it now.  He looked from face to face.  Their expressions said what they dare not speak, not in this city beneath the Chief Marshal's tower.  Colonel Sparks went on.

"We are also tasked with doing another reconnaissance of the atomic energy infrastructure to the east.  An audit of the old records was conducted.  There's concern that not everything was recovered from the facilities.  Some important things might have been left behind, things like control rods, centrifuge parts, uranium, plutonium."

The Crown Prince kept his face completely impassive, maintaining the military bearing that Colonel Lions so recently could not.  "I see," he said.

Elizabeth smiled.  It was the smile of a woman realizing her righteous vengeance.  "Crown Prince.  Once you spoke of having an insurance policy.  Perhaps its time you took out another."

Lions

Colonel Lions stood before the Chief Marshal's desk, barely containing his excitement.  Spread across the polished surface lay the photos and printouts.  The Chief Marshal studied them with a careful eye.  By luck or fate, it all came together now, the hacking of the Morning Stars, the undecipherable computer code, the strange goings-on in Northern California, the rumors of secret societies, and finally, The Colonel's renegade son.  The top of the building once called the Space Needle spun on its axis.  Inside, artifacts from over four millennia of military history hung on the walls, bearing witness to the decision the Chief Marshal was about to make.  

Raven-haired, with distinguished patches of gray at the temples, Chief Marshal studied the product of Colonel Lion's work long and hard.  Finally, he looked up and asked, "You still have operatives in the field?"

"Yes, Chief Marshal."

"Contact them.  Get them on this.  Next, I want you to contact that fool, Needles.  It is time for him to step up and do his job.  Finally, I want you to call Senator Applegate.  Tell him I need him to assemble a quorum for me.  He is not to invite the Crown Prince."

"Yes, Chief Marshal."

"Have them assemble here in my tower this evening.  Late this evening.  I'll need time to craft my narrative."

Dishonored

Dishonored and his crew arrived in Amboy at midday.  They raided the town and raided it mercilessly, and they found Doctor Chosen's secret laboratory underneath a building that had been a roadside diner, once upon a time.  His men searched the lab.  Vlain, however, never left his truck.  Instead of leading his crew, he opened up another of Doctor Chosen’s human-skin bound notebooks, and obsessed over it.  Neither screams nor the explosions of gunfire could draw him away from its mysteries.
Vlain possessed more than a dozen of them now.  Their covers came in shades ranging from milk-white to mahogany, to darkest ebony.  All his waking moments were now spent in the notebooks.  He poured over them, studying their iconography, the doctor’s scribbled and coded observations, their mysterious potential.  The dizzying symbols inside the gruesome books drew Rodrigo Vlain deeper and deeper down into the rabbit hole, revealing nothing but begging more and more questions, louder and with greater urgency.  What was Doctor Chosen pursuing?  How far had that madman traveled down this satanic path?  The notebooks were bound in human skin, to what depths had he descended?  How much farther was he willing to go, and to what end?  If the man could create a Pegasus and giants and other mythical beasts, however clumsy, what else could he have done in his experimentation with the occult?  What else was out there?

The sun lumbered steadily to the West and slid lower and lower on the horizon, and still, Vlain read the journals, oblivious to his men's' looting.  His current book was bound in pale yellow skin, and on every third page was a variation of the same glyph drawn in a dark ink that Dishonored imagined was human blood.  No, not "imagined." "Knew," was the correct word.  Vlain knew that the ink was human blood.  He didn't know how he knew it, he just did.  And the symbology and blood and human skin of the book mesmerized him.

Dishonored was so enchanted by the book that Chamo had to yell his name five times before the spell broke.  When Dishonored finally looked up, he did so impatiently.  Chamo wore his bludgeon and a Smith and Wesson Model 10 revolver in a sash around his waist.  The big man saw plainly that his boss just wanted to get back to reading.  He didn't want to interrupt, but he had to.  Chamo said, “Boss, we got a real problem.”

That’s when Dishonored finally noticed the screams.

Vlain carefully set the book down on the empty seat beside him, marking his page.  He looked at Chamo, looked back at the book, and reluctantly left it behind.

They walked together to the old diner, past his men and the pile of loot they'd accumulated thus far, and past the six captives they taken in the assault.  It was then Vlain noticed for the first time that the prisoners were all chattering, but they weren't chattering with each other, or even to their guards.  All of them chattered away as if they were speaking to an imaginary friend.  Each was lost in their own world.  And what they were speaking wasn't English, but a babbling, rattling stream on nonsense sounds.  The words, if they were words, emanated out of each mouth non-stop.  None of the captives even paused to take a breath.  They just kept at it.  An uninterrupted stream of nonsense sounds flowed out of their mouths.

"They've been at it like that since we first in," Chamo explained.

"Is that the problem?"  Vlain asked.  "If it is, just smash a couple of them in the mouth.  They'll shut up, and I can go back to reading."

"No, boss," Chamo replied.  "What we got is worse.  Its Gear Splitter Joe.  He's inside still, down below.  You better go look at him."

The entrance to the underground lab was camouflaged in the back of the old café’s walk-in freezer.  A trap door in the floor opened to reveal a set of stairs.  Chamo and Dishonored went down the stairs and into the lab.

The lab consisted of a circular main room, with hallways and a couple of ante-chambers branching off.  The main room had more of the same things Vlain had seen before in other labs: metal furniture, white three-ring binders, computers, medical equipment, more of the strange and incomprehensible machines with names like Sombra, LaMerc, and N.C. Positronic.  An emotional demand welled up from the back of Dishonored’s mind nearly compelling him to ask Chamo if they’d found any more of the skin bound notebooks.  It was only through every ounce of his discipline that he was able to stifle the words before they left his lips.  It was an addiction, Vlain realized.  He was addicted to the books.  He wasn't supposed to be sitting in a truck, reading notebooks.  He was supposed to be leading his crew, guiding them through the combined dangers of the Gomorrah badlands and the machinations of Lions and Chief Marshal Gorman.  And if his men found any of the notebooks, they would have already presented them.  They realized his addiction before he did.  But wasn't that always the case?

As his mind muddled through this recognition of his own failings as a leader, Vlain heard the screams.  These were screams he'd heard thousands of times before.  They were the screams of pain and terror.  Only this time, they weren't coming from some ill-fated captive.  This time they were coming from one of his own men.

One of his men had gotten wounded, and he'd been sitting on his ass reading Doctor Chosen's diaries, like some snot-nosed kid, sneaking through his older sister's diary.

The screaming came from one of the anterooms.  This antechamber had been protected by heavy steel doors, which the Dishonored had dynamited off their hinges.  Vlain frowned.  He couldn't remember hearing the explosion.  He'd been too engrossed in his books.

“It’s Gear-Splitter Joe,” Chamo said, his voice tinged with pity.  Gear-Splitter was the youngest member of the Fallen, maybe 16 or 17.  Dishonored nodded.

Inside the antechamber, two more members of the Fallen stood over a teenage kid.  Gear-Splitter Joe was pale-skinned, skinny, and young, and he rolled back and forth on the floor, screaming.  Vlain saw broad smears of blood across the floor.  What happened here was plain as day.  Fresh blood covered the ends of Gear-Splitter's fingers.  More blood stained his face, but the horrible part was the young man's eye sockets.  Where there should have been a pair of eyes, now there was only a dark pair of cavities.

“He clawed his own eyes out,” Rodrigo Vlain said flatly.  He was simply observing a fact, not commenting on the horror, the puzzling insanity of a young man who clawed out his own eyes.

The screaming kid with no more eyes was not even the weirdest thing in the room.  In the center of the room, about four inches off the ground, stood a framed wooden door.  Wire rope guidelines supported the door, running from each of its corners into anchor points on the wall and floor.  Carved into the frame of the door were many of the symbols Dishonored had seen in his notebooks: pentacles and pentagrams, black arrows and black suns, red eyes, Slavic ideographs, and Norse runes.  The door did not lead anywhere.  It stood alone in the center of the room.  One step to the left or right, and one could see the rest of the room behind it.  It didn’t open anywhere.  Of course it didn't open into anywhere, Vlain thought.

Unless it did,

Dishonored looked down at Gear-Splitter, and now he actually heard the man's screams, not the noise of the scream, but the emotion behind it.  There were screams of pain, horror, shock.  The normal cries one would expect somebody to make after clawing their eyes out.  But there were other sounds within the screams of pain.  Strange sounds, the kind of sounds you heard when you played records backwards and heard what might be words.  The sounds of snake-handlers speaking in tongues.  The screams of people whose minds had departed reality to attend some strange and other universe.  The screams of insane people.  Dishonored heard, “Alaba.  Mood Alaba.  Alaba Mood.”  The blinded kid repeated it again and again amidst the screams of pain.  Then Rodrigo Vlain noticed something else.  He was still holding the pale-yellow skinned notebook he’d just been reading.

I can't have it, Vlain thought.  I left it in the truck.  I left it on the seat.   But there it was, in his hand.  As if the book didn't want to be left in the truck.  As if it wanted to come inside the lab, come inside and see the mystery door and the maimed kid.  And the book felt hot, like there was a coal inside it, and somebody was blowing pure oxygen onto the coal.  Making it glow brighter.  Making it burn hotter.

“How long was he in here by himself,” Dishonored asked the others.  Already knowing the kid had been in here all alone, and what he'd done.

"He be in here a minute or two.  We not see no-nothing worth taking in here, so we skip out onto the next room.  He be right behind us.  Then we hear the screaming."

"Get him outside, now," Dishonor ordered.  Chamo and the others moved like lightning, scooping up the kid and rushing him out of the lab.  The whole time the kid flailed and screamed.  He screamed like none of the others were even there.

"Alaba.  Alaba Mood!  Mood.  Mood Alaba."

Now alone in the room, Rodrigo slowly walked around the door and frame, examining the runes, the carvings, the iconography.  The notebook felt hot in his hand.

In his mind, Vlain saw what happened.  The kid had been in the room all by himself.  Not long, but long enough.  Long enough to walk over to the door, open it a crack, and see what was inside.  Or maybe he didn’t even open the door. Perhaps Gear-Splitter just took a quick peek through the keyhole.  Vlain saw it clearly in his mind.  Then, in his mind, the door spoke to him.

“Take a look,” The door seemed to whisper inside his head.  And the notebook under his arm seemed to pulse with heat.  It was all his imagination, Dishonored knew.  His obsession with Doctor Chosen's macabre notebooks had seized hold of his imagination, and now it was getting the better of him.  There was nothing on the other side of the door.  It was just a door.

Just a door somebody took the trouble to mount in the center of the room.  It was just a door, intricately carved with Doctor Chosen's satanic devil shit.

“Take a look,” the voice in the back of his mind said again.  “Just a quick peek.  There’s nothing here.  You know there's nothing there.  So take a peek.  What's the worst that could happen?”  And then another voice, a voice from the reptilian part of his brain, the fight-or-flight, stay alive part of his brain joined in the conversation.

"There is something on the other side of that door.  Gear-Splitter took one look at it, and it drove him to madness.  He saw something on the other side of the door that made him claw out his own eyes.  There is something on the other side of the door.  It is something Doctor Chosen found that should not have been found?  Or something the doctor made that should not have been made?  So get the fuck out of here.  Forget you found this place and make sure nobody else finds this place.  Especially not the Chief Marshal.  He won't be able to leave this door alone.  He'll think he can control what's on the other side of that door, but he can't.  He and Lions will come here and open that door, and when they do, what is on the other side will cross over to here.  Then we'll all be rolling around on the ground like Gear-Splitter.  All of us.  We'll all be tearing out our eyes and screaming gibberish.

And then the door spoke again, only this time the book spoke with it.  “There’s nothing here.  Come and see.  Come and see.  Just a tiny peek.  Come and see.”

Captain Vlain left the anteroom without looking back.  As he climbed the stairs, his mind semi-consciously registered something about Pandora and a box.  Fuck, he cursed.  Fuck Doctor Chosen and Lions and Chief Marshal Gorman.  Fuck them all, and fuck them for making him delve into this weirdo, satanic, mad scientist shit.  Rodrigo Vlain knew he was no saint.  He was a bad man, an evil man.  But his evil was a chaotic evil, not the cold and calculating evil of grand ambitions.

On the way back up there stairs, he paused to look at a poster taped to the wall.  Charcoal colored ink made a declaration on yellow-brown parchment looking paper.  The font was old-timey, like the cliched type-set wanted posters of the Old West.

The Pinnacle in Agricultural Machinery.
The Cross-Jek Thrower.