BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:45:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aftermath_1] [#1]
@sharkman6
I have a question:  exactly what is a Spartan Knight and the Knights course?

At first I thought all soldiers were referred to as Knights and the course was a combination boot camp/AIT etc all soldiers went thru.

I'm getting the impression it's more of an advanced finishing school, like Ranger training or similar.

ALSO:
Have you read David Drake's original HAMMERS SLAMMERS?

He had a writing technique where, between chapters, he would present "interludes." These were short breaks from the main plot, but presented relevent social, economic or technological aspects of his universe.

I mention this because I think it would complement your story very well and also your writing style.  It would definitely increase your word count

Example: one addendum might cover the Knights and the Knights course in further detail; one might review major events of the collapse; another might cover the Morning Stars and the space program; the political system inside a militacracy, etc.

I, for one, am very interested in this world you've created, and would love to learn more about it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Frosty451:
@sharkman6

At first I thought all soldiers were referred to as Knights and the course was a combination boot camp/AIT etc all soldiers went thru.

I'm getting the impression it's more of an advanced finishing school, like Ranger training or similar.

ALSO:

He had a writing technique where, between chapters, he would present "interludes." These were short breaks from the main plot, but presented relevent social, economic or technological aspects of his universe.

I mention this because I think it would complement your story very well and also your writing style.  It would definitely increase your word count

Example: one addendum might cover the Knights and the Knights course in further detail; one might review major events of the collapse; another might cover the Morning Stars and the space program; the political system inside a militacracy, etc.

I, for one, am very interested in this world you've created, and would love to learn more about it.
View Quote
Iirc, the knights course was described pretty well in "Spartans last march".
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

View Quote
yes, towards the end of the story. He writes about the course and the Colonel's son making his way through the final test.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 4:34:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Smithy] [#4]
Originally Posted By Sev89:
yes, towards the end of the story. He writes about the course and the Colonel's son making his way through the final test.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think the question is, do all the Spartans go through this training or just the elite few?

I assumed all.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Chapter 11 is up.  Just after the break, same as SOP.

I'll address the Knights Course in a later post.  But the short answer is no, not every Spartan goes through it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, and thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Chapter 11.  Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have changed my mind.  I don't want to see the group tear assing around the wastes stacking bodies, I want to see them go stomp a mud hole in the swamp creatures back in Seattle. (with Nicky-lee along to help)
View Quote
That would make sense as a story arc.

The father leaves New Sparta, goes on a suicide mission into Gomorrah, and kills everybody.  His son goes from Gomorrah back into the Emerald City... and kills everybody.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:45:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#9]
Originally Posted By sharkman6:

That would make sense as a story arc.

The father leaves New Sparta, goes on a suicide mission into Gomorrah, and kills everybody.  His son goes from Gomorrah back into the Emerald City... and kills everybody.
View Quote
He did go on the mission so that his son wouldn't have to fight his fight.

You've been doing a great job filling us in on the politics in New sparta.  I hate it though because the politics in your emerald city are too similar to the real one. (I don't really hate your version though, because there is still hope for it. LOL).

I really liked New sparta early in the last book, but it's probably been sliding this way since "The Hammer" was tramping around stoving in hippie skulls.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]
@sharkman6

ALSO:

View Quote
The Knights Course is an elite school in New Sparta.  Not everybody goes into it.  The overall idea goes like this:  All Spartans are generally bad asses, but some some Spartans are badder asses than others.  Thus, major characters like The Colonel, or his son, Lefranc and the rest of the crew are tougher hombres than your average Spartan.  The Knights Course itself is, as I imagine it, a lot like Ranger School or the Marines' Infantry Officer Course (IOC): On the surface its about light infantry tactics, but at its core it is a leadership school.  Students would learn all the ins and outs of operating as an infantryman, but over the course of the year they'd also learn things like foreign force advising and unconventional warfare.  Like Ranger School, they'd be taught to operate behind the front lines with limited resupply and logistics.  Along with the real world inspirations, the Knights Course was also inspired by Stephen King's Dark Tower series and the training the main character goes through.  The Gunslinger, Roland, was trained to be a warrior, but he was also trained in diplomacy, leadership and UW.  As an aside, some of you may have found some "Gunslinger" Easter Eggs in The Spartan's Last March.

One of the classic questions when it comes to giving soldiers advanced training like this is: Do you A) keep them in specialized units, or B) spread them out amongst the rest of the force to bring up the total quality of the force overall.  Field Marshal Slim, who operated with the Chindits and Merrill's Marauders, wrote that he preferred option B.  I'd say that today the U.S. military is all about option A.  Regardless, in New Sparta they choose both.  The Long Range Group (which Lefranc was a part of) and the other numbered groups are made up almost entirely of Spartan Knights.  Other Spartan Knights would get spread throughout the force.  Lions was a Spartan Knight, but he's working as aide to the Chief Marshal.  The Colonel was a Knight, but at least at one time he was commanding a regiment.

The Knights Course would also be open to all ranks and military occupational specialties.  An infantryman, or a combat engineer (Christian) could get in, but so could say a truck driver or a bulk fueler (Provided they met the minimum qualifications).  A truck driver might go back to a truck company and just beat the hell out of all his fellow truckers, or he might get assigned to one of the numbered groups.  Once upon a time I know of a Force Recon unit that went to Iraq.  The Marine there who saw the most action on that deployment wasn't one of the operators, but a 7-ton driver.

The Knights Course might be the sexiest Tier 1 school in New Sparta, but it isn't the only one.  Robins went through his own crucible.  While Colt and the other were challenged physically, Robins was challenged academically, writing doctoral level theses on Carl Von C, and Mao's principals on guerrilla warfare, developing algorithms to run wargames, memorizing the consumption tables for a BCT on the march.  Part of the inspiration for Robin's course was the section in, "Starship Troopers," where Rico is working towards his commission and starts getting academically crushed.  Robins might be short one arm, and he might not be a Spartan Knight, but he didn't just bounce off the back of the turnip truck.

Hope this broadens the aperture.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for that.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome, thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:02:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#13]
I saw a thread in GD that reminded me of this story.

Here's a pic from "the bay" in our current world and time.

Things like this are why I think this story world are great.

I had to head south yesterday to do a family thing in Oregon.  As I was approaching the Columbia River, I couldn't help but remember"the Colonel's" crossing from the "last March".

OP, was the ferry crossing in the first book based on a real world location?  It seems like it was in the middle of nothing, so I doubt that it was where I crossed yesterday on I5 in Portland.(which is also becoming a little Gomorrah).  Also, was the bar from the beginning of that book based on a real place?  A sight seeing trip to real world landmarks from the book might make for a fun motorcycle trip. Lol
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I realize I'm a day late on this one but a actually found the Spartans Last March thread after it was published and bought the book a couple years ago. Absolutely one of the best pieces of fiction I've ever readand some of the concepts in it are absolutely timeless analyses of the degeneration of society.

Glad to see there's a sequel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:22:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sharkman6] [#15]

OP, was the ferry crossing in the first book based on a real world location?  It seems like it was in the middle of nothing, so I doubt that it was where I crossed yesterday on I5 in Portland.(which is also becoming a little Gomorrah).  Also, was the bar from the beginning of that book based on a real place?  A sight seeing trip to real world landmarks from the book might make for a fun motorcycle trip. Lol
View Quote
The ferry crossing is completely fictional as is the bar in the beginning of The Spartan's Last March. I have traveled all over the Pacific Northwest, Oregon, Nevada and Northern California and lived in the two cities which figure most prominently in the story arc.  Many other places in the storyline are fictional adaptions of real places I've been to.  The place where the Griffins inserted Colt, Lefranc and the others is a real place I always stopped at when I made runs between San Fran and LA.

The homeless camps currently in Portland and Seattle are exactly how I imagine The Bay was right as The Colonel made his Last March.

When your ready for the motorcycle trip let me know.  I'll shoot you a map.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't read through this just the first couple chapters. So maybe this has already been asked.

When is the book coming out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Trapshooter12:
I haven't read through this just the first couple chapters. So maybe this has already been asked.

View Quote
Great question, but probably not the answer you want to here.

Hoping to publish in full spring next year.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Trapshooter12:

View Quote
you can get a regular fix between now and then by working through the rest of the author's stories.

The Sean bastle stories are every bit as entertaining as these ones.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Chapter 12 is up
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#20]
FUCKI G AWESOME
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the update. Love reading these stories.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sharkman6] [#22]
Chapter 12 part II is up in the original posts.

Who is going to own page 3?
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm ready to see some political heads get lopped off.  Violently.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Chapter 13 is up
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Chapter 13 is up
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aftermath_1] [#27]
Chapter 13 is up
View Quote
Aaaaaaaawesome sauce

That was a great chapter Sharkman!

Gorman's motives have been laid clear why he has been  such a scheming cunt.

I hate him even more now!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Really enjoying your work Sharkman!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mounger:
Really enjoying your work Sharkman!!!
View Quote
Glad you are liking it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the update. More please.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
Thanks for the update. More please.
View Quote
"If you want blood, you got it."

ACDC

Chapter 14.1 is up in the original post.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Hell yes, the tension keeps building!
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the read. Waiting for another drop. Excellent story, enjoyed the first as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 1:20:26 AM EDT
[#35]
absolutely loving it!
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Glad everybody is enjoying it.  I enjoy writing it.

So, a bit of a rant, but a rant maybe tangentially related to the story.  So I'm at work a few days ago.  One of the folks in the office (retired military, now a national security GS), says, "We really need to conduct a surge in Afghanistan."  Naturally enough, we asked what he meant.  He proceeded to say that we never really gave the Afghanis all they needed to be successful to secure and run their country.  If we only gave them more money, more advisors, more soldiers on the ground, more equipment, more time... if only all of this, then Afghanistan would be a fully functional and successful nation.  His thesis was that we, the United States, never did enough to help the Afghanis.  They are the willing partners but we are not.

When it was pointed out that we've been in Afghanistan 17 years, with significant losses of both life and treasure, he countered that all that was proof that we just had not tried hard enough.

Life imitating art, and all that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I disagree with him. We need to switch from "nation building" there and just focus on destroying terrorists.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:
I disagree with him. We need to switch from "nation building" there and just focus on destroying terrorists.
View Quote
We should engage in "nation building"...........

just as soon as we bury the very last corpse of the very last terrorist under a pile of pig guts!  Then, and only then, can we assist in setting up a proper republic in another country.  Unfortunately,  there would likely be nobody left in these dung heaps to govern or be a government.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By GreenGiant:

We should engage in "nation building"...........

just as soon as we bury the very last corpse of the very last terrorist under a pile of pig guts!  Then, and only then, can we assist in setting up a proper republic in another country.  Unfortunately,  there would likely be nobody left in these dung heaps to govern or be a government.
View Quote
The Colonel would approve of that course of action.

Sales of book 1, The Spartan's Last March, are just shy of 1000 copies.  I'd like to get this up over a grand by the end of the year.  So, if anybody knows of any other websites where I might post that in serialized form again, please send me a PM with your ideas.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Ready to buy this one already.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Last half of Chapter 14 up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 4:35:42 AM EDT
[#42]

The Colonel would approve of that course of action.

Sales of book 1, The Spartan's Last March, are just shy of 1000 copies.  I'd like to get this up over a grand by the end of the year.  So, if anybody knows of any other websites where I might post that in serialized form again, please send me a PM with your ideas.
View Quote
I think i've bought all that you've published.

Great work.

The .1 and .2 updates throw me a little bit because i have to figure out where the last chapter ended and the update begins.

Otherwise, fantastic writing. i can't wait to see how the Colt rises from the ashes
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#43]

I think i've bought all that you've published.

.......i can't wait to see how the Colt rises from the ashes
View Quote
Same and same here.

After a guy is dead, he's free to do whatever he wants.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Good read. Thanks for the update. More updates please.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:25:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Chapters 15 and 16 are up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Hell yes!  Thanks sharkman.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Awesome, thx for the update

One thing, the line in chap 16:

"The food must go to the trads," The Oracle chimed in

I think you meant the Oracle to say, "mods."
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#48]
A double update? You spoil us

Great reads. The more the story goes on the more I hope the colt gets to look the chief Marshall in the face while he is digging the knife in deeper
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Awesome, thx for the update

One thing, the line in chap 16:

"The food must go to the trads," The Oracle chimed in

I think you meant the Oracle to say, "mods."
View Quote
Thanks for the editing assist!
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Any chance we are going to see a story on The Hammer?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top