Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 7:02:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 7:26:31 PM EST by Shrike37]
My father is putting together bug out bags for almost everyone in the family. Including all the in-laws and kids, we are talking 12-14 people. Anyway, he is looking for an inexpensive (~$25-40), lightweight (~3-4lbs), and fairly durable tent.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks

EDIT to clarify: He is looking for 12-14 one man tents. One for each bug out bag...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:20:15 PM EST
For 12-14 people? I don't think so.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:44:39 PM EST
I don't think so....

You might get lucky with a walmart Coleman or something, but they are pieces of crap.

Why not have two people share, one take poles the other take tent or something like that and go with something like this....

Eureka Tetragon

I've always had good luck with Eureka tents, and thats a good price. 6lbs really isn't that heavy, and its worth it to have some sort of rain fly

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:53:55 PM EST
a north face outlet had two man tents free standing for $65 with aluminum poles. That is the best price I have seen for a quality tent.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:43:30 PM EST
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35842

I'm not much of a tent guy... I greatly prefer my tarps. I do however own this tent.

First and foremost, you get what you pay for. It's crowded and stuffy. Ventilation is not great, and like many single wall tents condensation on the inside may be a problem (I wipe it down midway through the night). In hot weather you will swelter. You will want to replace the stakes as they are thin. Some people have reported problems with the poles but I've never had any with mine, and another member here who runs a seperate survival forum has had the same one for over a decade IIRC.

On the upside, it's cheap, light, and packs very small (would fit in my GHB if I didn't run a tarp). I've weathered thunderstorms in it without a problem, and taken it into the backcountry of many State and National Parks while more expensive tents sat in the designated areas next to the Park HQ.

If you can afford better, get better. This one will however beat spending a night in the rain.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:45:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:54:17 AM EST
EUREKA timberline outfitter series, the only super high quality that is under $250.00
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:30:47 AM EST
Yep, have people share a tent. Split the load up between two people & everyone is happy. Save on cost & get some of these.

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:14:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 4:15:57 AM EST by RR_Broccoli]
There was some talk about the Eureka tents having a "combine two" option for more space a couple of days ago. You might find it by going back a few pages. Those were 140 or so though.

Why not learn a bit of tarp-craft and use tarp type shelters or hammocks?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:50:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
There was some talk about the Eureka tents having a "combine two" option for more space a couple of days ago. You might find it by going back a few pages. Those were 140 or so though.

Why not learn a bit of tarp-craft and use tarp type shelters or hammocks?

Yes, that was me who brought up how to do that .

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:27:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By Z1500:
Originally Posted By dayphotog:
a north face outlet had two man tents free standing for $65 with aluminum poles. That is the best price I have seen for a quality tent.

Where would I go to find this deal? That's crazy cheap.

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TNFStoreLocator?langId=-1&storeId=207&catalogId=10001

search for an outlet ( not retail store) and the sale goes until the 4th. I was just at one of the outlets today. the tent I got was the rock 22
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:00:49 AM EST
ro a eureka solitare will be the cheapest/lightest in that budget range.

cheaper way would be to make your won tarps....but thats just me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:35:19 AM EST
I don't even have a tent in my BOB.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:54:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mannlicher:
I don't even have a tent in my BOB.

ahh damn,,,you went Rv on us didnt you
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:00:36 AM EST
Motel Six, I'll leave the light on...

check out sierra trading post, sometimes they have good tents cheap. You should know your prices though because sometimes their discount/overstocks are no bargain.

I got a two man kelty zion 2 for $35 there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:57:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By protus:
ro a eureka solitare will be the cheapest/lightest in that budget range.

cheaper way would be to make your won tarps....but thats just me.

The Solitaire is a pretty good tent in IMHO. Same issue with being cramped as the tent I posted but much better ventilation.
I too will stick to my tarps, but I understand some people feel "exposed" or something like that when they sleep under one
Top Top