Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2018 10:54:53 PM EDT
My daughter and I play paintball in scenario games lasting over the weekend. To save some money I have a tent already with two cots and a air mattress. I have back problems and was looking for any suggestions on making it through the night so I can move the next day to play. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
How far away do you need to camp away from your vehicle? What if you did something like one of those pull behind wagons. Or you could possibly use a dolly w/ inflatable wheels.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How far away do you need to camp away from your vehicle? What if you did something like one of those pull behind wagons. Or you could possibly use a dolly w/ inflatable wheels.
View Quote
My car is parked right next to us, and I am not really sure exactly what the wagon or dolly is.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#3]
ETA: I was rolling on almost no sleep and misread back for "pack".
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I have gone to a good cot (big man cabelas model) and a memory foam mattress on top.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a great idea the memory foam on a cot. I will look into that, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ill add, that cot fabric has a limited use.  I know ppl who have complained that cots suck and they cant sleep on them.  Then I come to find out they are sleeping on a 30yr old surplus cot with original fabric that is sagged and almost touching the frame.  At that point your support has gone to shit and it wont be comfortable, no matter what you do.  Depending on your size and amount of use, eventually you need to replace the fabric, or just buy a new cot.'

If you go to a craft store (ask your wife) you can buy sheets of raw memory foam in different thicknesses and cut your own.  Take a queen or full size sheet and stitch it closed into a large pillow sack.  Now you have a washable cover for your memory foam mattress.  Roll and tie up when not in use.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you want to try 'foam on cot', don't waste the money/time on memory foam: go with Talalay latex foam if you don't have latex allergies.

Reasons:

- memory foam takes a set. Where your bodyweight lays on it, it will squash down and stay that way when your body heat warms it, providing hardly any padding on the pressure points, once it's squashed. Latex foam doesn't 'take a set' like that. With a ~2" topper, this makes a significant difference.

- latex foam breathes better (not as warm as memory foam), which makes a difference in warmer weather.

- Talalay latex can be squashed down for transporting (stuff sack with compression straps), and will 'fluff up' within seconds of airing out. Squashed memory foam takes a much longer time to regain its uncompressed thickness.

- Talalay latex foam is available from numerous places as sheets (you can order a 2" or 4" thick sheet) at different ILDs (Impression Load Deflection, i.e. 'firmness'). Depending on your weight, the firmness of the cot and the thickness of the topper, you may want a firmer or softer ILD. A good Talalay latex retailer cam advise you on their recommendation.

Generally, bad/stiff backs after sleeping, are a result of poor sleeping position/posture due to incorrect support. Depending on weight and body shape, some people need more support, some people need less. Head support also plays a role, and is dependent on the bed support/firmness level, body shape, and side vs back sleeping positions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If you haven't already, try this combination, which solves my problems which are similar to yours --- Use for support, a Roll-A-Cot, which has a tension (firmness) adjustable trampoline-style fabric "deck" (similar to the fabric deck on a Hobie catamaran), with thumbscrew adjustments to tension the fabric sleeping surface from saggy-soft droopy to snaredrum-taut rigid. Then, add, as appropriate to your firmness comfort level,  and insulation requirements, some sort of mattress --- foam/inflatable/etc. --- pad to suit you. The Roll-A-Cot support fabric is an open mesh vinyl-coated  scrim, affording no insulation or padding. Some combination of  these items will, through trial & error, provide the Goldilocks sweetspot unattainable by any other means I've found.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top