Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/2/2014 12:20:05 PM EST
My current daily driver (2007 honda civic) is at 170k and will be replaced late spring of next year, when it hits about 200K. I drive between 35-50k a year for work. We just replaced our Excursion with a Subaru Outback and love it. I do drive into the sierra's and into the snow for work in the winter, but I don't live in the snow. I do drive down rough non paved roads for work, but don't plan on any real off road activity. I do drop off and pick up two munchkins from school every day in my work vehicle, including all of their munchkin crap.

So, what should I replace my daily driver with? I am seriously considering getting a Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid for the following reasons: 1) AWD, amazing AWD. 2) 9" of ground clearance. 3) 29/33MPG. 4) I like the way it looks. 5) the hybrid model has a better ride, better steering ratio and much less road noise due to increased sound insulation.

The hybrid is about $3,000 more than the base XV, but does come with more features and a much better ride. The XV itself is about $3,000 more than the impreza upon which it is based, but I like the idea of having the increased ground clearance, and again, the XV comes with more features than the Impreza. All told, equipped the way I want it, the XV hybrid would be about $2000 more than the non hybrid and about $3500 more than the similar impreza.

The XV hybrid isn't really the best at any one thing, but for me it seems like the best combination of things. Tell me why I am wrong, or why I am right.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:26:55 PM EST
I think they are all around good, cool vehicles.

I want the miss's to get one. But she likes her SUV to much.

I would get myself one, but I need a pickup for everyday life.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:11:27 PM EST
It is very underpowered. I have a buddy with one and if he and I are in it with bikes on the Yakima rack it will loose speed going up grades over about 2.5% and can't accelerate.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:12:34 PM EST
Hybrid = two different powertrains to fail and/or more points of failure.
If you're only planning on keeping the car for the duration of the warranty, probably not that big of a deal,
but if it's a drive it into the ground situation -- well, there are some serious horror stories from people that
drive used Prius', and I doubt any high-mileage bybrid will be different. Battery packs are serious cash.

If you could get what you want with a conventional powertrain, I'd go for that option.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:18:32 PM EST
Or just get the extended warranty...most brands are giving excellent long term warranties on the batteries etc...We will be getting the Toyota Avalon Hybrid. I did have the prius and it was awful in the snow...too light weight and the tires are low rolling resistance
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:21:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2014 1:22:12 PM EST by PATCH5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
It is very underpowered. I have a buddy with one and if he and I are in it with bikes on the Yakima rack it will loose speed going up grades over about 2.5% and can't accelerate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Does he have the gas or the hybrid? The gas only version is 148hp/148ft/lbs of torque, but the hybrid is 160hp and 186 ft/lbs of torque. The 38ft/lbs of torque added by the hybrid model should help with that I would think.

Originally Posted By gqllc:
Or just get the extended warranty...most brands are giving excellent long term warranties on the batteries etc...We will be getting the Toyota Avalon Hybrid. I did have the prius and it was awful in the snow...too light weight and the tires are low rolling resistance

I would get the 100k warranty on it, the extended warranty from Subaru isn't that much.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:01:31 PM EST
Diesel jeep?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:28:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Diesel jeep?
View Quote

Briefly considered it. A-mpg not as good, especially considering the extra EPA love forced upon new diesels. B- I really can't afford to have my vehicle break down all the time, I use it for work, thus a Jeep is out of consideration. c- Fuck Dodge. d-In order to get the diesel, you are looking at $45k, nearly twice the price of the Subaru.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:32:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By PATCH5:

Briefly considered it. A-mpg not as good, especially considering the extra EPA love forced upon new diesels. B- I really can't afford to have my vehicle break down all the time, I use it for work, thus a Jeep is out of consideration. c- Fuck Dodge. d-In order to get the diesel, you are looking at $45k, nearly twice the price of the Subaru.
View All Quotes
Diesel jeep?

LOL, I hear you there! I'm not too impressed with my 98 jeep GC, hoping they are better now. Plus, the thought of a diesel SUV is something I like.

Didn't know they diesels run $45k
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:38:14 PM EST
LOL, I hear you there! I'm not too impressed with my 98 jeep GC, hoping they are better now. Plus, the thought of a diesel SUV is something I like.

View All Quotes
Diesel jeep?

I just checked, it doesn't look like you can get one in less than the limited trim with a diesel, and the diesel engine itself is another $5,000. Crazy money. The XV would already be the most expensive car I've ever gotten for myself as a work vehicle at $26K.

Honestly, Our diesel Excursion was the best vehicle we've ever owned, it was just too expensive to drive. It was way more than we needed, but it was cool to have a super powerful diesel in a giant SUV. I need way less than that for myself especially.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:01:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2014 5:02:28 PM EST by sea2summit]

Does he have the gas or the hybrid? The gas only version is 148hp/148ft/lbs of torque, but the hybrid is 160hp and 186 ft/lbs of torque. The 38ft/lbs of torque added by the hybrid model should help with that I would think.

I would get the 100k warranty on it, the extended warranty from Subaru isn't that much.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By gqllc:

Gas. FWIW my motorcycle has 98 hp at the back wheel and it's an old man bike that only weighs about 500#. Your referencing horse power at the engine on a car that weighs what 3,000#? lots of stuff to spin between the engine and the ground with the numbers you are referencing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:49:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2014 5:51:03 PM EST by fsjdw2]
Look at the forester, it is almost the same price as the XV , same ground clearance, WAY more room on the inside. similar gas mileage OR if you get the XT forester (28K for the premium model). It is a WRX in disguise(258 HP, 255 lb/ft, sport suspension, same CVT transmission as in the 2015 WRX, same engine as the 2015 WRX(different ROM though, so WRX revs to higher), I get 25 around town in traffic and 29 highway.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:22:17 PM EST
View Quote

Tell your friend to learn how to use the accelerator and transmission.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:32:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2014 9:29:23 AM EST by Boomer]
We have been shopping Crosstreks. The real world economy of the Crosstrek hybrid doesn't justify it's additional cost. Read reviews on it. Having driven both the Crosstrek Limited 2.0 and the hybrid, I would not buy the hybrid. Yeah, it has a little bit more sound deadening insulation, snazzy wheels and gee-whiz power distribution display, but it also does not have a spare tire, it has less storage space, more mechanical complexity and it's reported fuel economy is not impressive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:50:08 PM EST
Are you a dude?

GD off.

Small cars well made, basically not a major fan of highbryd cars.

Subaru's are sheepleflauge pure and simple. I say good choice given your needs.

I picked a new 4Runner and love it. Downside now that I have up fitted it 19MPG GOING DOWN HILL.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:53:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2014 8:56:25 PM EST by caduckgunner]
I'm looking at the Crosstrek, Forester, and the Outback. Hopefully I will have one of them in my garage in a week or two. For those who have them, is the X-mode traction control worth the extra cost?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:29:58 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:36:16 PM EST
I think the Crosstrek is a great car but they really need to throw a turbo in it...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:52:01 AM EST
I think your going the right direction. Lets be honest these big v8 4x4 PU and large suv are only letting you bug out to the gas station more often then not. And they arnt the caplable rock crawlers that everyone thinks them to be. Light is might, and higher mpg is going to be the real value in a emergency.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:50:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
Look at the forester, it is almost the same price as the XV , same ground clearance, WAY more room on the inside. similar gas mileage OR if you get the XT forester (28K for the premium model). It is a WRX in disguise(258 HP, 255 lb/ft, sport suspension, same CVT transmission as in the 2015 WRX, same engine as the 2015 WRX(different ROM though, so WRX revs to higher), I get 25 around town in traffic and 29 highway.
View Quote

+1!, Op, just fyi I'm looking at the Forester XT Premium myself. Specs and more details on all the models at link below.

http://www.cars101.com/

great forum here also http://www.subaruforester.org

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:01:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2014 10:27:28 PM EST by clownbear69]
Is the ground clearance and SUV type a big deal to you for work or is it personal preference?

Have you look at anything from Toyota?

ETA: Only reason I ask is the Tacoma is suppose be coming out with its new 3rd gen increasing its mpg is the biggest main thing

From a survival aspect: the Tacoma will go anywhere

From a daily driver aspect: In the event your in an accident insurance will pay premium on a Tacoma, trade in value will typically be higher as well.
Top Top