Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 10:07:34 AM EDT
I have been thinking of getting one of these.  Are they worth the time, effort and/or cost?  Is there a certain brand that's better than others?-

It seems to me that we don't do a very good job of packaging our meats and sometimes when we pull out some of our frozen meat it doesn't taste so great.  And sometimes they have quite a bit of ice crystals in them.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I read a lot of negative reviews on Foodsaver sealers when I was researching. There are a few possible explanations:

1) More foodsavers are sold, so more negative stories will arise
2) People don't follow directions regarding duty cycles and overwork them, causing premature failure
3) You get what you pay for.

My mother was insistent on getting me one for my birthday, even though the one I decided I want based on reviews and demonstration is relatively expensive, $399.99. I'll do up a full review once it arrives.

www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=pod&id=0030017
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have been thinking of getting one of these.  Are they worth the time, effort and/or cost?  Is there a certain brand that's better than others?-

It seems to me that we don't do a very good job of packaging our meats and sometimes when we pull out some of our frozen meat it doesn't taste so great.  And sometimes they have quite a bit of ice crystals in them.

Thanks.

I've noticed that it really cuts down on freezerburn.  still experimenting with different uses for it, but so far I really like mine.  Generally the foodsaver gets good reviews, and others dont - if you look at the pumpnseal website, they compared the amount of vacuum pulled by various brands, and the foodsaver definately kicks ass over the competition www.pump-n-seal.com/comparison.htm.  I dont consider the pumpnseal as competition, because its not a food storage system, its a bike pump with an informercial.  

Got mine at costco, about $150.. well worth it imho.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
mine works pretty well.  i have a rule now, that EVERY bag i seal, i seal twice!!  the first seal sucks out the air and seals it, then i move the bag out some and just seal the bag without suction.  so the "open" end has two seals.  i had been getting alot of broken seals on my pork chops and sweet corn.  the double seal seems to have solved it.

C
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Love mine.  My buddy liekd it so much he is considering getting one now(however he will research the crap out of anything think jp or les baer and it took him 6 months to decide between the two and place the order).
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been using one for a year now, no problems so far..
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.

Any input on which bags are best?  Or are they all the same?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top