Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2011 12:40:14 PM EDT
Some friends and I have an upcoming camping trip to a nearby state park.  It’s really car camping, so nothing super exciting. We eat and drink well and enjoy each others company.
My friends are somewhat like-minded when it comes to prepping and the survival mindset. I recently demonstrated how to start a fire with a fire steel to the group. Everyone understood the concept, but had never actually tried it. I made everyone start a small fire just so they knew they could do it.
I’m looking for some other, similar survival related activities that would be easy to put together as well as semi-entertaining for the group.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
My suggestion is to have EVERYone in the group demonstrate at least one skill that they have... even if it isn't survival-related, it will foster some group activity.

Ever experiment with making fire with a bow saw? Ever look for edible plants? Camping gives you an opportunity to just look at the ground, and study animal tracks. Even mundane animals (i.e.birds) can be interesting, and while you are looking, I bet you will find evidence of animals you never even imagined were there: large cats, coyotes, bear, muskrat, etc. Where are you camping?

ETA How about having every person (at least, every adult) LEARN one skill to demonstrate? Some suggestions:

Making a bed out of available plant life.
Using asignal mirror (IM me for tips).
Using signal flags: semaphore or Morse code (IM me for tips).
Using simple 'rescue' hand and arm signals.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#2]
wild edibles, fires starting, shelter building, snaring/trapping (even if it is only a demo of a figure 4 deadfall), etc.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I would look at :

Fire Starting:  1 match, flint & steel, battery and steel wool, bow or fireplow, try 'em all.  Take a break for lunch and cold drinks and go some more.  Easy to do when you don't have to count on it.

Firewood:  Locating and preparing tinder, kindling and larger (arm-thickness) wood:  really sounds simple but try it after a rain and you'll see what I mean.  Use only what tools you have in your Go-Bag.

Campfire cooking from your Go-Bag...ie. Mountain House but heating the water over a fire, or cooking all your food for the weekend from the small pot from your Go-Bag over a fire, etc.

Land Nav and Orienteering - secure yourself a Boy Scout Orienteering Merit Badge booklet....simple instructions make great teachers.

Celestial Navigation:  If the skies are clear...find the Big Dipper, Little Dipper ––> Pointer Stars to the North Star, etc.

Water purification:   pour stream water through a shirt to remove the particulates, boil for 1 minute or try out your water purification tabs.  You do have water purification tabs as primary or backup water purification, right?

Just make it a prep campout.  If your friends do not have Go-Bags, help them to make some....All Camping is Good Camping!  Have a Blast!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My suggestion is to have EVERYone in the group demonstrate at least one skill that they have... even if it isn't survival-related, it will foster some group activity.

Ever experiment with making fire with a bow saw? Ever look for edible plants? Camping gives you an opportunity to just look at the ground, and study animal tracks. Even mundane animals (i.e.birds) can be interesting, and while you are looking, I bet you will find evidence of animals you never even imagined were there: large cats, coyotes, bear, muskrat, etc. Where are you camping?

ETA How about having every person (at least, every adult) LEARN one skill to demonstrate? Some suggestions:

This is a good idea. I'll run it by everyone tomorrow night when I see them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would look at :

Fire Starting:  1 match, flint & steel, battery and steel wool, bow or fireplow, try 'em all.  Take a break for lunch and cold drinks and go some more.  Easy to do when you don't have to count on it.

Firewood:  Locating and preparing tinder, kindling and larger (arm-thickness) wood:  really sounds simple but try it after a rain and you'll see what I mean.  Use only what tools you have in your Go-Bag.
I think this one would come in handy. Most of these guys/gals never joined a scouting program and I think might have missed this important skill.
Campfire cooking from your Go-Bag...ie. Mountain House but heating the water over a fire, or cooking all your food for the weekend from the small pot from your Go-Bag over a fire, etc.

Land Nav and Orienteering - secure yourself a Boy Scout Orienteering Merit Badge booklet....simple instructions make great teachers.
I might try this too. I can set up an orienteering course that would lead them over the park grounds.
Celestial Navigation:  If the skies are clear...find the Big Dipper, Little Dipper ––> Pointer Stars to the North Star, etc.

Water purification:   pour stream water through a shirt to remove the particulates, boil for 1 minute or try out your water purification tabs.  You do have water purification tabs as primary or backup water purification, right?

Just make it a prep campout.  If your friends do not have Go-Bags, help them to make some....All Camping is Good Camping!  Have a Blast!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
problem solving is always a good one....puzzles.....riddles....match sticks.....bottle caps.....nails....

Ropes and knot work.....lashing....

fire starting many different ways.....

path communication.....chalk on rock....rocks in formation......twigs in pattern...etc....

first aid always good....

carving....knife craft....

orienteering.....

hides.....

stowed gear camouflage....

tracking.....

trip lines....signaling devices....alarms....etc....

Don't forget to have fun.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a good idea. I'll run it by everyone tomorrow night when I see them.

AAR is required. Have fun!

Here's another possible activity: Have you or any of your friends ever prepared live food? Say, a rabbit or hen? Kill, skin/pluck, cook & serve.

Might not be a good idea if very young'uns are there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Good suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#9]
How about getting them to look for and use this:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fatwood
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top