Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 11:57:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kar15] [#1]
i'll look into it. chances are they fell into the depths of the archives... i'll check it out and see what i can do...

ETA: i was right, went back and found all but renaisance in the archives, and updated(the address changes once they drop back there). renaisance only had bits and pieces and 9 of the 20+ chapters, i've contacted the author fourays2, about possibly reposting. thanks.

K.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 12:31:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#2]
I really enjoyed Aftermath, but my copy got lost when I made a hard drive switch.  Anybody have a link where it can be downloaded? IM me if you want to escape the puritan backlash.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#3]
no worries. the guy whom had a +100 problem with the story and wanted it removed, didn't bother to edit his qouted post of the other guy whom quote my link, so the link is still hot on page 2.

it bothered him so much, he didn't bother to remove it from his own post, although, you will apparently have to register at storiesonline to view it... K.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 1:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#4]
Originally Posted By Kar15:
no worries. the guy whom had a +100 problem with the story and wanted it removed, didn't bother to edit his qouted post of the other guy whom quote my link, so the link is still hot on page 2.

it bothered him so much, he didn't bother to remove it from his own post, although, you will apparently have to register at storiesonline to view it... K.

I was hoping to find a place where it could be downloaded as opposed to read online.  Oh well I'll save it page by page, it'll just take a while.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2009 11:24:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cowboy7242001] [#5]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone have any info on the story, MAN'S SINS?  Was it ever completed?
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Great links. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 7:07:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grand58742] [#8]
Thanks for all that took the time to read the stories I wrote.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 8:23:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FourDeuce] [#9]
I recently told somebody about Aftermath, by Al Steiner, and they went to the website to download the story, but it appears to be gone from there. Haven't found it anywhere else online yet.

Correction: It's still there. They just changed the login process so you have to login to see the story.
Link Posted: 12/25/2009 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Prayers for the assasin by ferrigno. Is a really good one too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Wulf202:

REMOVED
I have a BIG problem with this story.  In the first two chapters, the sample chapters, the main character turns into a pedophile and his actions are described in detail.

I vote to remove that filth from the board.

i have just read the first three chapters. the relationship between brett and chrissie is not a pedophile molesting a little girl. she is 16 years old, a age that is legal age to have sex with in many states right now. it is also a legal age for a 16 year old to marry in this day and age. while i know of a real life scenerio where a 45 year old high school coach, slept with and then married a 16 year old girl ( with parents permission), i admit its not considered normal and is definately frowned apon today.

that being said.... years ago it was commonplace for a 16 year old girl to already be married with several kids, and tasked with raising a family and running  half a farm. the girl in this story lost her parents, the man lost his family and they were thrown together. he had a hard time dealing with the budding relationship with such a young lady.  however as he points out in the story, the worl is over. they might be dead tomorrow, the girl is carrying a m-16, and has had to kill, was almost gang raped. she is a woman now, and has grown up almost overnight.

she is making her own decisions, if she is happy with a 35 year old man, he's happy and her brother is happy. plus they all benefit from being a group, work together, and seem to be really attracted to each other..... so whats the damn problem? it is fantasy, we have no problem thinking of shooting bikers, theives, murders, or our neighbors who are trying to steal our beenie weenies, why is this so different. i know there are women who would do the same thing to gain the protection of a man like matt...... even if thats the girls only reason for sleeping with him, its benefiting her, and she seems happy........ so........... im fine with the story... its one of the best ones i have read so far..
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 9:07:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kar15] [#12]
^^^^^
i removed the link as the above poster you quoted and a couple others bitched about the morality etc. of the story. having not read the story and only heard of the content through their complaints, i didn't want to catch a flying banhammer if if had contained something truelly inapporpriate. ofcourse they were so upset about the content that they quoted the link and then didn't bother to remove the link they had quoted from me so to hell with 'em...

link away my friends...

K.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Has anybody saved any of these as word documents instead of reading them on a forum?  I would really appreciate a pm.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 7:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#14]
I'll recommend Aftershock. Earthquake/Tsunami/Virus, the characters are based in the Pacific Northwest, mainly a Canadian perspective.

Author's website
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#15]
The title of that story is Aftermath, by Al Steiner, in case anybody goes looking for it. Well-written story, I thought.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 11:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mccray] [#16]
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#17]
where can I buy the lights out book???  I have a pdf of it but I want the book!
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#18]
i PMed halffast the other day. it's coming, but it's not out yet... PM / IM him for details...

K.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 4:38:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Peengwin] [#19]
Zombie Island

Poor format, but it will be redone when I finish the story.  Disregard typos if you find them.  XCRMonger said she'd do some drawings for it, which would be awesome from what I hear.

Be gentle...

ETA:  Story is done.  Still waiting for artwork, and the ending is quite fast once the dominoes fall.  Still in short story territory.
Link Posted: 9/28/2010 6:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spoolup] [#20]
I cannot find the archive of Effie's farm either, but I did manage to find it archived on my PC, if anyone knows who wrote it and gives me permission to rehost it in a PDF format I will do so. Just quote this post and I will upload it. FYI for anyone who has not been fortunate to read this story it is an action packed story that is pleasant to read, far fetched, yeah... but good. I also read cold camp a few times overseas and it IS a GREAT story. The link posted on pg 2 does have a chapter repeat in it, but its easy to catch as your reading along.

Again if the author just okays it, Ill upload it.

i PMed halffast the other day. it's coming, but it's not out yet... PM / IM him for details...

K.

This I can not wait for, received my copy of Remnant the other day... I like survival fiction.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#21]
i just started reading Bracken's "Enemies" series... but i'm really looking forward to ordering T. Sherry's "Remnant", i absolutely loved the first two. i need to get my copy back from my mother-in-law to be whom read "Deep Winter" and liked it a lot. she then started on "Shatter" but never finished it or returned it(she keeps saying she doesn't want to give it back till she returns it but then not reading it). it's been over a year, guess it's time to ask for it back...

K.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 11:43:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scrachline1] [#22]
if anyone is looking for Effies Farm - I wrote it a few years back - it is at survivalistboards.com - under scrachline - you may have to join the board to read it - all ya gotta do is click on my name - click profile - click statistics - it is the #2 story of the 31 survival stories I have written there - my 95% edited book on prehistoric survival about a military man i threw back in time is also on that page - if you do read any of my stories and like them  please comment on it - and thank you for reading them in advance if you do...     scrachline
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FourDeuce:
Aftermath, by Al Steiner is worth reading, too. It can be found at:

storiesonline.net/story/34601:1342

You do have to register there to get to the story, but it's free.

I just finished that one.  I wasn't sure if I was reading a post-apocalypse story or penthouse forums.
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Well I can't vouch for the accuracy of the facts in Penthouse, but the "military" details in Aftermath are pretty good. I realize they're both fiction, but even fiction is supposed to have some basis in reality.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 3:42:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kar15] [#25]
The following are a number of resources I've personally found to be pretty much the best in their particular format when it comes to helping me find information on Preparedness, Homesteading, Off gridding, Self Reliance and Self Sufficiency, Emergency and Disaster Survival, etc. I made up this Survival and Preparedness Resource Primer a while back to email to folks I met or had idscussions with, whom were interested in at least becoming more educated on the subject.

The most helpful and active web based online discussion forum in my humble opinion is probably the "Outdoors" section at ar15.com(or arfcom as it's members call it). I am a member there and highly recommend the place, my screen name is "Kar15"(I use this SN on several forums). I really can't say enough good things about that section of the website(though I'd stay away from the childish stuff that goes on in the General Discussion section. Those whom post in the other tech forums can play a little rough if you tend to be the type to ask questions before you try to search and learn for yourself, but generally the majority of the site and the tech forums inparticular are a great source of information. The Outdoors forums are by far generally speaking the most polite and professional). Sub forums in the "Outdoors" section include: General Outdoors Discussion, Survival Discussions(this is where the bulk of the good Preparedness, Urban and Rural Homesteading, Off gridding and other info will be found), Survival Fiction and Literature, Homesteading and Gardening, Outdoors and Survival Gear, Ham radio, Hunting, Fishing, Etc. http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=10.
There is a wonderful forum community at www.thesurvivalpodcast.com as well, but I'll cover this resource in a bit.
Though it gets far less traffic then either of the other two, another fairly worthy mention that is also generally assessable where in some cases work / job related internet filters may block some of the other sites is http://www.homesteadingtoday.com

Unlike a Discussion forum where many different contributors provide dialog on a good number of topics, the author of a Blog will generally provide the majority of the commentary to their online journal on a particular subject or a few selected subjects from day to day. Here the focus is generally on the original content and not the ongoing discussion as opposed to a Forum or Discussion board. There are quite a few decent online blogs dealing with Preparedness, Homesteading, Off gridding, Self Reliance and Self Sufficiency, but of those I've seen James Wesley, Rawles site "survivalbog.com" stays the most currently updated and definatelly is one of my favorites. He and his contributors generally cover a pretty broad spectrum of topics. though I will say that his site and his books in my humble opinion, tend to be more oriented towards a SHTF(Shit Hit The Fan) type event, such as a complete and total socio-political & economic collapse rather than just simply dealing with the ins and outs of everyday life after a job loss, house fire, extended recession, or some sort of weather related natural disaster. This is not a slight towards the sight or it's content, but rather just goes to show that there are many different scenarios and facets of preperation to consider. It can be found at http://www.survivalblog.com Here is what I found to be an execellant article and a good representation of a great blog entry. http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/02/forever_preps_preparations_you.html
Additionally, authored by a gentleman whom has lived through the social and political unrest brought on by the collapsing economy in his home country of Argentina another interesting but less traveled Blog is http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

A podcast is much like a radio talk show, rather than reading the content, you listen to it. Go to the host website, pick out an episode you would like to hear, and press play(you can skip ahead or back and pause as you desire), just like you would if you had recorded a radio talk show. The absolute best podcast around is Jack Spirko's "TSP"(The Survival Podcast). In fact if you only take one piece of information away from this email please check out this resource. Unlike survivalblog.com this show is geared more towards the more likely scenarios such as a job loss, economic turmoil, natural disaster, etc. Jack's mantra for the show is "helping you live a better life if times get tough or even if they don't". This is by far the most common sense down to earth information being shared on a regular basis and in my humble opinion listening to it will very likely help you live that better life in some way. Mr. Spirko also spends a good bit of time discussing Permaculture, Food Production, Food Preservation, Suburban Homesteading and Suburban Self Sufficiency, http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/ TSP also has a great online forum community as already mentioned.

Additional websites that I've found helpful or interesting and that may be of interest to you as a new prepper, include:
* www.coinflation.com
* www.realcent.org
* www.zerohedge.com
* www.outlivesheep.com

I'm in the process of starting a fairly indepth SHTF emergency plan for my wife and I. As well as Emergency contact info, and an immidiate plan of action for various scenarios,  my "Plan" will include: Other important information not specificly commited to memory, Important Passwords, Cache locations, Copies of bank records, Personal Property Inventory, Firearms Serial Numbers, et. etc. and in addition to organizing all our important documents with back ups I hope to bring a bit of order to what seems like quite a lot of important chaos. I'll be using some of the the following resources to aid me in this undertaking:
*Family Disaster Plan and Communinty Emergency Management Program
http://extension.missouri.edu/explorepdf/commdm/emw1011.pdf

*Household and Personal Property Inventory Book
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/houseinv.pdf

*Clackamas County Department of Emergency Management "Getting Ready for Disaster"
http://www.clackamas.us/emergency/preparedness.html

*Family Disaster Supplies & Preparedness Purchaseing and "To Do" Calendar
https://www.ebmud.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/familydisaster.pdf

Another resource that a lot of folks overlook may be youtube.com. The one "channel" that sticks out in my mind as a great source of info on everything from long-term food storage(sealing your own buckets) to bug out bag(B.O.B.) tutorials, etc. is "P.A.W. Productions(Post Apocalyptic World)" by delta69alpha. The first video which will pop up on this link is their "Long term food storage part 1" they also have videos on food storage shelf life and lots of other very usefull and pertinent topics that I think you will find to be a great reference. http://www.youtube.com/user/delta69alpha?blend=2&ob=1
I've been told that "yankeeprepper" is another popular and informative youtube channel but haven't yet had much time to really check him out.

If you spend much time browsing any of the links I've provided you will eventually find references to "the list" or "the 100 items to disappear first list". It does contain some insightful and thought provoking information even if it's actual origin is somewhat dubious, so I'll go ahead link it now and you can check it out ahead of time. http://www.backwoodssurvivalblog.com/2009/02/following-is-list-that-has-been.html

I found an interesting introductory "survival primer" at the following address. http://www.slideshare.net/kevinestela/wilderness-to-urban-and-suburban-survival-primer

I'd like to note a few books which I found of particular interest both of which focus on Economic preparedness.  Aside from housefire or maybe a tornado or hurricane depending on your specific AO, job loss is going to be at the top of nearly everyone's "most likely" list.  As a very wise forum moderator named TJ always says "prepare for the most likely scenario first!".

Though written in 1981 it's content is still very much relevant today, and "The Alpha Strategy" By James A. Pugsley is one great resource to help explain the root causes of inflation and how you can start to protect yourself against it. It seems to me that this free PDF is missing some of the content of the hardback book, but more than enough of it is present to help you understand the problem and what you can do to to protect yourself against it. http://www.biorationalinstitute.com/zcontent/alpha_strategy.pdf or in hardback at http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0936906049/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&qid=1306055957&sr=1-1&condition=all

I would also reccomend Fernando "FerFAL" Aguirre's book "Surviving the Coming Economic Collapse"(listed below) as a companion to "The Alpha Strategy" as in it the Author describes living through the economic callaopse and subsiquent hyperinflation in Argentina during their economic turmoil in the early 2000s. http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Survival-Manual-Surviving-Economic/dp/9870563457/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306055903&sr=8-2

There are also a number of really good fiction books written by purveyors of preparedness knowledge with the intent of passing that knowledge along through a good tale. At the very least these books will help in getting you to think about the "what ifs" and the "how too" should any of us ever face an extended extreme emergency type event.
*"Lights Out" by David Crawford
http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David-Crawford/dp/0615427359/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296586611&sr=1-1

*"Deep Winter" and it's sequel "Shatter" by Thomas Sherry are great books but they are not cheap. However, they are available free online in PDF format though, if you search for them or if you email the Author Tom Sherry at [email protected].
http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Winter-Thomas-Sherry/dp/0615154417/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296586690&sr=1-1

*"Patriots, Surviving in the Coming Collapse" by James Wesley, Rawles
http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Surviving-James-Wesley-Rawles/dp/156975599X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296586839&sr=1-1

*"One Second After" by William Forstchen
http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765317583/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296586983&sr=1-1

Speaking of books, I consider the knowledge I've gained from my library my most important prep. Just as I try to add more beans to my pantry and bullets to my ammo fort, I try add to my book collection whenever I can. There are an inordinate number of books on the topics I've been discussing here as well as those that cover other similar emergency related topics such as matters of Defense, Medicine, Caching supplies, etc. etc. I'll include some of the titles which I own and some others I plan on purchasing. Some of the following I've found insightful, interesting or helpful. A few I have purchased and added to my library and haven't gotten a chance to personally read yet(and therefore can not personally attest to their quality or relevance), or haven't had a chance to purchase yet. I'll include these titles anyway as I generally only purchase books that come well recommended from pretty solid sources...

Survival Wilderness and or Urban:

*SAS Survival Handbook by John "Lofty" Wiseman
*U.S. Army Ranger Handbook (U.S. Army manual)
*How to Stay Alive in the Woods by Bradford Angier
*98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive by Cody Lundin
*When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikesby Cody Lundin
*Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
*Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking
*Tom Brown's Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants (Field Guide)
*Edible Wild Plants(Eastern / Central North America) by Lee Peterson
*Medicinal Plants and Herbs(Eastern / Central North America) by Steven Foster and James Duke
*Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills: Naked into the Wilderness by John McPherson
*Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen
*Essential Bushcraft by Ray Mears
*Camping & Wilderness Survival: The Ultimate Outdoors Book by Paul Tawrell
*Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life, by Neil Strauss
*Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival by Jack A. Spigarelli

First Aid and Medicine:

*First Aid –– (American Red Cross Handbook) Responding To Emergencies
*Wilderness Medicine, 5th Edition by Paul S. Auerbach
*Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook by David Werner
*Where There Is No Dentist by Murray Dickson
*Ditch Medicine: Advanced Field Procedures For Emergencies by Hugh Coffee
*Emergency War Surgery (NATO Handbook:- Third United States Revision, 2004) by Dr. Martin Fackler, et al.
*First Aid For Soldiers(FM 21-11) US Army Field Training Manual
*Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook (it superceded the very out-of-date ST 31-91B)
*Adventure Medical Kits A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicineby Eric A. Weiss, M.D
*PDR for Nonprescription Drugs, Dietary Supplements, and Herbs, 2008
*Physicians Drug Handbook
*Physicians' Desk Reference 2009 (PDR, 63rd Edition)
*The Merck Veterinary Manual
*The Survivalist's Medicine Chest by Ragnar Benson
*Do It Yourself Medicine by Ragnar Benson

Homesteading and Self Reliance:

*The Encyclopedia of Country Living (Tenth Edition) by Carla Emery
*The Big Book of Self-Reliant Living by Walter Szykitka
*The Foxfire Book series (in 11 volumes, but the first five are the best)
*How to Find Your Ideal Country Home: A Comprehensive Guide by Gene GeRue
*Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century by Dick & James Strawbridge
*Making the Best of Basics - Family Preparedness Handbook by James Talmage Stevens
*Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills, Third Edition by Abigail R. Gehring
*Today's Homestead(Volumes I and II) by Dona Grant
*Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance by John & Martha Storey
*When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance, Sustainability, and Surviving the Long Emergency by Matthew Stein
*Living Off the Grid by Dave Black
*The Fifty Dollar and Up Underground House Book by Mike Oehler
*Great Livin' in Grubby Times by Don Paul
*Living Well on Practically Nothing by Ed Romney
*Just in Case by Kathy Harrison

Gardening and Food Preservation:

*Ball Blue Book of Preserving
*Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners by Suzanne Ashworth
*Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables by Mike Bubel
*Complete Book of Home Preserving Ball
*Cookin' with Home Storage by Vicki Tate
*Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times by Steve Solomon
*All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew
*Small-Scale Grain Raising by Gene Lodgson
*Rodale's Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Green Resource for Every Gardener
*Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Longby Elliot Coleman
*Five Acres and Independence: A Handbook for Small Farm Management by Maurice G. Kains
*The New Organic Grower by Eliot Coleman
*The Winter Harvest Handbook: Year Round Vegetable Production Using Deep Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouses by Eliot Coleman
*Home Grown Whole Grains by Sara Pilzer
*The Complete Joy of Home Brewing(3rd Edition) by Charlie Papazian
*From Vines to Wines by Jeff Cox
*101 Recipes for Making Wild Wines at Home by John Peragine
*Micro Eco-Farming by Barbara Adams
*Gardening Indoors with Soil & Hydroponics by George Van Patten
*Getting Started in Permaculture by Ross and Jenny Mars
*The One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka
*Gaia's Garden(A Guide to Home Scale Permaculture, Second Edition) by Tody Hemenway
*Stocking Up: The Third Edition of America's Classic Preserving Guide by Carol Hupping
*Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook by Peggy Layton

Game Gathering and Raising:

*Survival Poaching by Ragnar Benson
*Ragnar's Ten Best Traps(And a Few Others That Are Damn Good Too) by Ragnar Benson
*The Trapper's Bible(Traps, Snares, and Pathgaurds) by Dale Martin
*Firearms, Traps, & Tools of the Mountain Man by Carl Russell
*Home Book of Taxidermy and Tanning by Gerald Grantz
*Where There Is No Vet(Out of Print, available used on Amazon but very expensive) by Bill Forse
*Where There Is No Animal Doctor by Peter Quesenberry
*City Chicks by Patricia Foreman
*Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits by Bob Bennett
*The Complete Guide to Beekeeping for Fun and Profit(Everything You need to Know Explained Simply, Back to Basics) by Cindy Belknap
*Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees(Honey Production, Pollination, Health) by Richar Bonney and Malcolm Sanford
Any of the "Storey's Guides to", pick an animal(chickens, ducks, rabbits, sheep, goats, cattle, pigs, etc.) chances are they've probably written a book to aid you in raising it for eventual production and / or consumption.

Weapons, Defense and Tactics:

*Principles of Personal Defense - Revised Edition by Jeff Cooper
*The Secure Home by Joel Skousen
*The Little Black Book of Violence by Lawrence A. Kane and Kris Wilder
*Citizen Soldier(A Manual of Community Based Defense) by Robert Bradley
*Total Resistance by H. Von Dach
*Ultimate Sniper 2006 : An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers (2006 Updated Edition) by Maj. John L. Plaster
*Illustrated Manual of Sniper Skills by Mark Spicer
*Sniper Training and Employmnet(TC 32-14) US Army Field Training Manual
*Improvised Munitions Handbook(TM 31-210) US Army Field Training Manual
*Guerilla Warefare and Special Forces Operations(FM 31-21) US Army Field Training Manual
*Explosives and Demolitions(FM 5-25) US Army Field Training Manual
*Unconventional Walefare Devices and Techniques(TM 31-200-1) US Army Field Training Manual
*Boobytraps(FM 5-31) US Army Field Training Manual

The absolute best resource IMHO on fighting with firearms(short of taking live training courses which is highly adviseable) are the MagPul Dynamics DVDs:
*Art of the Dynamic Handgun
*Art of the Dynamic Shotgun
*Art of the Tactial Carbine Vomues I and II
*Art of the Precision Rifle

Miscelanious:

*The Alpha Strategy by James Pugsley
*Surviving the Coming Economic Collapse by Fernando Aguirre
*How to Survive TEOTWAWKI(The End Of The World As We Know It) by Jamey Wesly Rawles
*Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson H. Kearney (Available for free download.)
*The ARRL Operating Manual For Radio Amateurs (ARRL Operating Manual)
*Passport to World Band Radio, 2009 Edition
*Starting a New Life in Rural America: 21 Things You Need to Know Before You Make Your Move by Ragnar Benson
*The Survival Retreat by Ragnar Benson
*Engineer Field Data (FM 5-34) US Army Field Training Manual
*The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-First *Century by James H. Kunstler
*The Boy Scout's Handbook

K.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#26]
AFTERMATH, by Al Steiner is as good as Lights Out. But there is a lot of sex (apparently he's an adult writer). It's the sub-sub genre of 'erotic post-apoc' but the battles are great. A very enjoyable book, about 437K words once I put it into WORD and corrected the typos.

Pegleg
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I recently started a fictional survival blog.  The story chronicles a Midwestern family's struggle to survive after a global economic collapse in 2014.  I incorporate survival tips and ideas from my own experience into the fictional story.  The family appears to be well-prepared, that's a part of the story's point.  However, preparation must happen on many levels ....

The blog lists posts in reverse chronological order.  I highly recommend that you read them in chronological order, however.  Go to the main page and click on the link in the upper, right-hand corner dated November 2, 2014 and then read the posts in succession after that.

Here's the link: http://unioncreekjournal.wordpress.com/

Feel free to leave comments at the end of each blog page.  If you like the story, please share it on Facebook or Twitter, if you have an account, or by e-mailing the link to friends you think would also enjoy it.

No cost or obligation.  You can sign up with your e-mail to receive notifications whenever a new chapter is posted.  No SPAM!  I promise.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 3:18:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a notepad copy of Effie's Farm, but I dont have the author info, etc.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a PDF copy of Aftermath, and many others, if anyone is missing something.

IM me, or email to dpotter9 at gmail dot com
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I am trying to read the "As-Yet Unnamed" story in this link:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=20&t=606811

It says there are 65 chapters but I only see 23? Anyone have the rest? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#31]
http://www.amazon.com/orens-war/dp/9788073166

Orens war, its a great book with some scary parallels to current events.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MoreAckAck:
I am trying to read the "As-Yet Unnamed" story in this link:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=20&t=606811

It says there are 65 chapters but I only see 23? Anyone have the rest? Thanks.
View Quote

You can read the whole story over on Survivalist Boards at Clark in the past - Story #50.  You can find an index of all of the stories posted there at this link.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:37:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3n1gm4] [#33]
Forgive me if this has been posted before.

Adrian's Undead Diary - Zombie Fiction, free online and available in a series of books as well.

It's in the style of blog posts / journal entries. Pretty entertaining.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Forgive me if this has been asked, but there was a story that (as part of the plot) had the protagonist sheltering in a storage unit that he had set up as an in-between refuge.  I can't find the story on here, but admittedly didn't check them all.  Can anyone help with a hint of what the story was?  I believe it ended with the hero getting back home after quite a long trek.

Thanks a million!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#35]
one second after is a book about survival after an EMP attack. very good.
Also, Farnham's freehold by robert heinlein.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#36]
loving this topic,  I will most definitely stay tuned for updates!
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Henizn7691:
View Quote

You should definitely stay tuned for updates!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SFC_77:
I have a PDF copy of Aftermath, and many others, if anyone is missing something.

IM me, or email to dpotter9 at gmail dot com
View Quote

Your inbox is full

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:38:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bushleaguepilot] [#44]
If erotica is your thing, Claudia Sassenfuss's Maxx Pro series of Post Apocalyptic Erotica might be fun.  Short and different

https://www.amazon.com/MAXX-PRO-Four-Whores-Apocalypse-ebook/dp/B00JHNB2SK/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1487845833&sr=1-4&keywords=claudia&tag=vglnk-c102-20 sassenfuss&tag=vglnk-c102-20

Warning, there is cleavage at the link…

Edit for spelling
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 4:44:19 AM EDT
[#45]
There was a survival fiction story I read a few years back set in New England (I think).   I just remember skirmishes with our protagonist who was a member of a national guard/militia unit.  Any clue which it was?  The story was good but I've read so many that they tend to blur.

Matt
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Recently, I started readings "The Lost Ways" authored by 'Claude Davis' and it was worth reading. Going to start readings other survival books mentioned by the members as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:46:23 AM EDT
[#47]
I think you're talking about Cold Camp by TimJ that's posted here on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Found an archive of Gary Ott's (T.O.M.) work at T.O.M. archive - 151 stories in various formats

I downloaded them all and converted to Kindle format. Should be entertaining, haven't read them in many years.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 1:48:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#49]
edit

Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Are all the links on that page supposed to go to OK Cupid?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top