Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/15/2007 5:00:00 AM EDT
I almost had a really bad thing happen this morning.

When I was leaving I bumped the corner of one of my shelves (you know the silver metal ones from Sams with wheels) and unbenounced to me a pack of strike anywhere matches fell off, and when they hit the floor the box lit!

I was about the door when I smelled the smoke and went back in and found the box and put it out before it caught anything else on fire.

We have had strike anywhere matches for years and this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this, so just a heads up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:49:40 AM EDT
That is why I store all mine in a USGI .30 cal ammo can. The can holds about 2000 matches in the original boxes and the can is of course air tight. Should anything cause the matches to ignite they will smother themselves in short order. Also helps keep the water/humidity away from the matches and helps keep them fresher longer.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:52:43 AM EDT
wow, close call. glad everything is alright.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:03:45 PM EDT
Years ago I was in thw boy scouts and we went on one of those one week long camping trips. We backpacked everything in. As we were walking in the first day I had a large box of strike anywhere matchs go up in my pack. The scout behind me let me know I was on fire. I dropped the pack and saved most of my stuff.

Made the trip harder for sure.

Bucky145
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:16:59 PM EDT
Is it any wonder why they're so hard to find in most places? I don't think anyone here is particularly stupid or careless, yet here we have several close calls.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:17:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2007 8:17:38 AM EDT by EXPY37]

Originally Posted By ROMAD-556:
That is why I store all mine in a USGI .30 cal ammo can. The can holds about 2000 matches in the original boxes and the can is of course air tight. Should anything cause the matches to ignite they will smother themselves in short order. Also helps keep the water/humidity away from the matches and helps keep them fresher longer.

I don't think they will smother since matches contain their own oxidizer in the mix....

What you have done is make a bomb, a weak one but sufficient to rupture the can and blow burning matches all over the area you have the can stored at the least.

Someday I'll write about all the b----ms we made with match heads as kids.

eta They don't call em barn burner matches for nuthen.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:10:55 PM EDT
My favorite matches! So hard to find these days
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:45:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dr_Zero:
I almost had a really bad thing happen this morning.

When I was leaving I bumped the corner of one of my shelves (you know the silver metal ones from Sams with wheels) and unbenounced to me a pack of strike anywhere matches fell off, and when they hit the floor the box lit!

I was about the door when I smelled the smoke and went back in and found the box and put it out before it caught anything else on fire.

We have had strike anywhere matches for years and this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this, so just a heads up.

wow. thats an odd one, glad you caught it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:42:26 AM EDT
I find them readily available at OSH. Occasioannlly they're out (might be seasonal?), but they're usually there when i look.

Yeah, you do have to be careful with them, but they sure are cool. Theres nothing like lighting a match off of any hard smooth surface.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:03:13 AM EDT
Which is why it is a good idea to dip them in wax before you place them in your pack/gear, you just knock the wax off with your thumb nail before using. Of course it helps waterproof them also.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:51:06 AM EDT

I keep mine inside a metal locker just in case.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:17:26 AM EDT
I moved them to a can on the bottom for storage just in case LOL!

What would be another way to store these like in a kitchen cabinet for say one box?
A metal can with a metal lid or a mason jar or ???
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:50:24 AM EDT

What would be another way to store these like in a kitchen cabinet for say one box?

A metal tin, like a fruitcake tin, keeps out the moisture but would allow the top to pop off. An ammo can would contain the pressure until bursting.

A Mason Jar would be the worst possible choice, well any glass closed container.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:20:12 AM EDT
I used to like to wrap them in a bit of foil and heat the tip with another match and make a little rocket.

That's until a little treehugger told me I'd burn the place down.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:09:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BigRedDog:

A metal tin, like a fruitcake tin, keeps out the moisture but would allow the top to pop off. An ammo can would contain the pressure until bursting.

A Mason Jar would be the worst possible choice, well any glass closed container.

Ok I will look at the dollar store I think they had some small round and square metal tins, thanks!
Top Top