Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 8:49:19 AM EDT
So I have been thinking about storing some water for a number of reason; drought, power outage, SHTF, etc. I usually keep two 30 packs of bottled water but would like to beef up my supply a little since I have more room. I've looked at Lexington container Co. and saw these Scepter Water Cans. I would keep my several cases of water along with a few of these cans.

1. Are these cans worth while? I don't want some piece of crap that will come apart or contaminate the water with toxins.

2. Do I need to put any addictive or things in the water cans for storage?

" />
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of the blue Scepter cans (about 5 years old) and a couple of the Coleman/AquaTainer cans that are over 10 years old... they are stored inside, out of direct sunlight, but have held up well but are not routinely moved... I trust the manufacturer's claims that they do not leach.... I change out the water at the beginning of hurricane season yearly, and add 2ml of Clorox (8drops per gallon x 5 gal. / 20 drops per ml )
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife and I are water drinkers anyway. Just wanted to add some more just in case. The containers would be in the garage which is usually cool but never exposed to extreme conditions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a mix.
Bottles from the store. Fast grab and go. Rotate as needed.
Water cans 5-6 gallon blue blitz cans- had aquatainers but the all split at the spigot (after 8-10 years) .
Water barrels 15gallon.- flush rotate yearly.
Large water tote- flush..clean..fill yearly.

I just use tap water..and add bleach...and walk away.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a few water-cooler 5 gallon jugs at Home Depot a few years back when they were predicting a particularly nasty storm.  They've been in the basement ever since.

I figure that if the storm ever comes - I'm covered by the larger stock of bottled water I now rotate through regularly, and the jugs will just add flush supply for the bathroom.

I generally keep 6 or 7 cases on hand and rotate through them about every 2 to 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Military-Water-Cans.html
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Scepter are G2G, LCI water cans are as well.

Scepter exceeds milspec as far as fit and finish.

LCI are strictly milspec.

The prices reflect this. I went with LCI, I don't regret it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top