Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 9:19:07 AM EDT
We  looked at a BOL, it is off the grid. It has solar panels and a battery bank. Propane fired back up generator.

The batteries look old, some corrosion.  There are 12 and are BIG compared to a car battery.

I know nothing about this set up other than the controller is made by TRACE.

What are we getting into with maintenance cost??  Any resources to read up on?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a good source of info! Sounds exciting, just figure out what they have and it shouldn't be to hard to repair or replace the components if it were needed. I assume that they have it all done correctly, might save a lot of time if the stuff is all working... How many watts of solar panels are they running?

Solar information and catalog

Prepper

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a picture of the batteries and connections? It will help in determining the voltage. I work in telecomm and central offices use batteries that are 2.2 volts DC each. They are very large batteries. If this is the type battery your system is using, they will be expensive to replace. Not that they have to be replaced. Maybe only the corosion needs to be cleaned off and a little maintenance done. And if they do have to be replaced, that does not necessarily mean that they have to be replaced with the same type of battery. The trace inverter will determine what the voltage input from the batteries are 12volt, 24 volt etc.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I  mentioned that I was a newbie to this.  The panels operate the lights and I think the refrigerator, It could be propane. The forced air is propane, house is listed at 2500 square.

This is about all the information I have at this time.  If we get it will have to proably drill a well, as the water is coming from off property.

The house is in a stand of oak trees so hopefully good water will be close.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]
12 batteries or cells.
Replacement intervals depend on quality of batteries, depth of discharge, and how well you maintain them.

If it is a string of T105s (smaller golf cart batteries) then you are looking at about $60-100 per battery every 3-7 years.
L-16s (larger than above) $170-250 per battery every 5-9 years.
Single cell sets (12 single cells) can be anywhere from $200 to $1000 per cell and give anywhere from 5-25 years (too many
variables here to be more accurate).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top