Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/22/2012 12:19:54 PM EST
Looking for a Gas Cooker to be used primarily to boil water in the event of a disaster and possibly minor cooking.
There are plenty to choose from with varying BTUs.

One would assume that getting the most BTUs to boil the water quickly would be best but not sure if that is a bit overkill.

Is there an optimum BTU to shoot for in a cooker to boil water?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:33:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 1:42:38 PM EST by fundummy]
Personally, I would get one that has the donut style burner.
The larger diameter burners distribute the heat out over a large surface area under the pot.

If you have a pressure cooker, you'd want the donut style burner. They still put out a megaton of heat, not sure but I believe 50K BTU's.
My small outdoor stove has two burners, and is handy for frying chicken or use with the pressure cooker.

The " Jet " burners are cheaper, put out more heat, but the velocity of the flame wastes a lot of fuel.
Jet burners are not well suited for pressure cookers due to the " hot spot " on the bottom, although they put out somewhere around 110K BTU.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:22:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By fundummy:
They still put out a megaton of heat, not sure but I believe 50K BTU's.
Depends on the regulator, but mine will melt a aluminum pot in short order if no water is in it, its defiantly past 100K.

OP I would get the donut style with multiple holes and both types of regulators, high pressure and low pressure. That way you can save fuel on slow boils and have the big regulator when you need to get water up to temp quick.

Also try shielding the burners and adding heating "shields" around the pot to get more heat out of the burned propane. Basically a piece of tin that directs the side heat back to the pot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:03:10 PM EST
Current looking at this 55K BTU.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:20:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By JThompson:
Current looking at this 55K BTU.

Looks good, it has the donut burner ( like mine ) and the price right. I also like the braided stainless steel hose.

You may want to pick up spare hose & regulator too.... the regulator is the ONLY thing that could go inoperative.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:36:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 4:37:26 PM EST by RR_Broccoli]

Originally Posted By JThompson:
Looking for a Gas Cooker to be used primarily to boil water in the event of a disaster and possibly minor cooking.
There are plenty to choose from with varying BTUs.

One would assume that getting the most BTUs to boil the water quickly would be best but not sure if that is a bit overkill.

Is there an optimum BTU to shoot for in a cooker to boil water?

Yes.

Pressurizing water to sterilize it is complete overkill. Just bringing it to 190 degrees for a minute is enough. (There are threads here with details.)

You'd be better off leaving the cover off and bringing it to a boil briefly then shutting off the heat.

Pressure cookers are good for cooking food. Water boil to sterilize, probably worse than a regular pan. The only time a pressure cooker would be useful is for sterilizing medical equipment with knooks and crannies... and then if you are trying to kill aids virus or prions not just bacteria.

If you want a large pot done at once, yes you'd need lots of heat.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:26:49 AM EST
When to Home Depot and there was only a 45K BTU and a 100K BTU.
They apparently don't carry the 55K BTU anymore.

So, go with the 45 or 100K?

Also, they have different labels.
One read "Turkey Fryer" and the other "Gas Cooker".
Is there really a difference?
Top Top