Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2008 5:48:05 PM EDT
OK, this is another what do i buy next thread. The more and more i read about "is my tinfoil on to tight" the more I'm thinking tinfoil shminfoil, this isnt a funny anymore. I have a limited budget and am ok for preps right now as far as food and water. what my current SHTF concern is a possible new AWB with obama. My fear is what will this new ban cover? the same as last time? all semi handguns? semi shottys?       Ammo? no more import? no mil surpluss at all?    

So, not gona list out everything except what i feel is a possable problem..

Ammo that I have...

20,000  .22
4,000    7.62x39
4,000    223
2,000    308
5,000    9mm
4,500    45.
100       12ga. sabbots
Alot        12ga buck,shot ect...

Now, my pistols I run are (2) 1911 for the 45 and (2) desert/baby eagles for my 9mm. The desert eagle only push 12 rd mags so no real worry as far as hicap mags for those and dont realy need any more mags or pistols in 45.

My concern is I only have...     1 ar-15 with (10) 30rd mags and 1 ak47 with 6 20/30rd mags.

Now i have plenty of other guns in 22, 308, and 12ga so i'm not worried about that really. What i'm trying to figure out right now is do I keep spending my money buying ammo, or.. do i start saving it up and start buying another ar15 or 2 or 3?  I'm not really worried about the Zombies are coming, the zombies are comming, But I do live in Flint Michigan

SO, Do I keep on buying my ammo for now (a gun with no bullets is a club) OR.. switch my funds to concentrate on some more ar15's. I have 2 kids 6 and 8 years old and would like them to be able to have one when they get a bit older. The daughter already wants a EPR (EVIL PINK RIFLE) and the boy isnt too bad with a EBR (PINK?!?! NO WAY!!)  right now, just still a bit hvy for him to hold by himself. Also, if i go this route,  do i concentrate on full finished rifles one at a time? or do i get some stripped lowers and then work on completeing them?? and mags? stripped lowers and 10 or 20 mags each reciever, or compleated guns then mags?? I also know that IF obama DOES get in prices are gona skyrocket from panic buying and some greedy peeps so wana start working now..

SO? Ammo or guns and mags???

Thanks in advance.

Zar
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:54:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2008 5:54:46 PM EDT by snake_eyes]
I'd get more rifle ammo.

And ARs.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:13:01 PM EDT
it will take the messiah a while before he can start limiting weapons.  he will likely go after rifles w/ detachable weapons.  high cap pistol mags, etc.  get some more rifles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:26:05 PM EDT
If you really think you need more rifles you could simply buy parts and then build the rifles for a lot less than you can buy them for. I realize I am no master gunsmith but if I can assemble an AR15 then anybody can do it. Its really not that hard if you take your time with it and you get the satisfaction of having a rifle (or carbine or superninjazombiehorddestroyer).
Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:34:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HawkCreek:
If you really think you need more rifles you could simply buy parts and then build the rifles for a lot less than you can buy them for. I realize I am no master gunsmith but if I can assemble an AR15 then anybody can do it. Its really not that hard if you take your time with it and you get the satisfaction of having a rifle (or carbine or superninjazombiehorddestroyer).
Just my .02

My first time assembling an AR took me about 15 minutes.  Without any instrcutions.  I looked at one of my factory built rifles and put the puzzle together.  The hardest part is the forward take down pin detent.  But I figured out a fool proof way to do that.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:13:57 PM EDT
How is your food and water supply?

You can go for ever with firearms and ammo but don't forget about the basics. If you're good to go on that stuff I would look into a couple of stripped or complete lowers plus 10 magazines for each rifle. Then buy the uppers as time goes on. It will take a while like stated before they start passing firearm laws.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:16:00 PM EDT
I don't know what your budget is, but if I were in your position, I would try to get an AR and 20-30 magazines for each member of the family.  After that, I would focus on parts and tools to keep them all going for many decades to come.  Slings, scopes, and other accessories will probaly always be available, but worth doing now if you can afford to.

It will be easier for them to ban future sales of the AR then it will be for them to ban you from buying .223

I live in Flint too, but at least it is not Chicago.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:40:52 AM EDT
I'd say get:

A couple lowers, complete if you can afford them. LMT makes some nice ones. Be sure to have a notary certify some pictures of you with them as complete rifles before some ban goes into effect. Be creative here.

Get more mags; a goal of 20-30/rifle is good for me. This allows some for SHTF use only, and plenty of mags for practice. Get some spare springs, etc as well.

Get into reloading; the initial outlay is significant, but you will either save a bunch of money if you shoot the same amount as before (fat chance, but it had to be said), or you will get lots more practice... I reload 55gr FMJs for about 15c/rd vs buying them for 35-40c/rd and they are more accurate to boot. Maybe reserve 2k rds for each rifle as emergency supply and practice with the other 2k, saving the fired cases for reloading.

I know it'll seem like heresy, but if funds are tight, maybe sell either the .308 or AK? This would give you more funds for ARs and simplify your ammo situation.

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:42:43 AM EDT
I keep the majority of my stuff to work with .223 and standard mags. If you are an AK guy you have less options. If not there are a lot of weapon options available to you. Get at least one more primary battle riffle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 11:00:17 AM EDT
Guys: There won't be another ban like the Brady AWB. The SCOTUS ruled against total bans this last term, and I believe that we are MUCH more likely to see NFA style registry and taxation.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:06:35 PM EDT
I believe the National Government is still using the following scenarios for planning.

Scenario 1: Nuclear Detonation – 10-Kiloton Improvised Nuclear Device................................1-1
Scenario 2: Biological Attack – Aerosol Anthrax.......................................................................2-1
Scenario 3: Biological Disease Outbreak – Pandemic Influenza.................................................3-1
Scenario 4: Biological Attack – Plague.......................................................................................4-1
Scenario 5: Chemical Attack – Blister Agent..............................................................................5-1
Scenario 6: Chemical Attack – Toxic Industrial Chemicals........................................................6-1
Scenario 7: Chemical Attack – Nerve Agent...............................................................................7-1
Scenario 8: Chemical Attack – Chlorine Tank Explosion...........................................................8-1
Scenario 10: Natural Disaster – Major Hurricane......................................................................10-1
Scenario 11: Radiological Attack – Radiological Dispersal Devices........................................11-1
Scenario 12: Explosives Attack – Bombing Using Improvised Explosive Devices..................12-1
Scenario 13: Biological Attack – Food Contamination.............................................................13-1
Scenario 14: Biological Attack – Foreign Animal Disease (Foot and Mouth Disease)............14-1
Scenario 15: Cyber Attack.........................................................................................................15-1
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:11:28 PM EDT
other Dave,
 2-3 SCOTUS rplaced with very liberal & they will reverse themselves & we're dead
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:33:15 PM EDT
I am figuring on a  simply massive run on guns and ammo after Obamessiah is elected. I am covered up really well on guns except for a .22 pistol, so I will be stocking up on ammo in general and mags for my pistols.

Even with over 100 mags for my AR, I can't help buy want more.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:54:41 PM EDT

I am figuring on a simply massive run on guns and ammo after Obamessiah is elected.

I've been talking to a few stocking dealers and they are tell me that sales of any type of centerfire ammo and "quality" handguns have been "brisk".  Also hi-cap mag rifles.

Not sure if the population is concerned over the upcoming election or the economy.  

Maybe a little of both . . . .

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:18:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pathfinder1cav:
other Dave,
 2-3 SCOTUS rplaced with very liberal & they will reverse themselves & we're dead

It would be very difficult for the SCOTUS, even one who Obama got the chance to stack with his minions to overturn the last SCOTUS ruling. Guns wouldn't be the first thing on the Democrat's mind during the first term, winning the second term would be. Their pussies are still sore over loosing seats to the '94 Brady law.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:42:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BankerBilly:
I am figuring on a simply massive run on guns and ammo after Obamessiah is elected.

I've been talking to a few stocking dealers and they are tell me that sales of any type of centerfire ammo and "quality" handguns have been "brisk".  Also hi-cap mag rifles.

Not sure if the population is concerned over the upcoming election or the economy.  

there have been some news articles talking about the run on guns, ammo and safes.  

i'm guessing a little of both is probably the correct answer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:37:15 PM EDT
Thanks for the info guys. I have been stocking up on ammo because, Hey it don't spoil, and i like to shoot.  Thing is I'm not a big enough shooter to really think i need 3 or more AR's (yea i know, you can never have to many) But my thought is more to be able to have one for each of my family members. I just wasn't sure what i should do as far as keep with ammo till i get enough (yea whats that ammount?) or switch to getting guns then back to ammo.

As some have said "start reloading" i actually have a whole setup given to me from a extended family member. basically went from inlaw to inlaw to inlaw to me because no one on that side of the family did any shooting (except the deceased member where it came from) but i have no time ATM (wife is going through surgeries and wheelchair bound) and i plan on taking a reloading class to familiarize my self with all the stuff. Lately its barely enough time to shoot and just hit a wally world or gun store to buy ammo. Hopefully that will all change this new year!

Guess its time to Gets some more rifles and mags then instead of ammo, start hoarding  reloading components.

Zar
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:41:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BankerBilly:

I went in the local Walmart on Thursday and they had sold out of all .223 value packs and all .308  That was what I went in there for....walked out with a Federal bulk pack of .22.
Top Top