Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 3:59:29 AM EDT
Last night my 4yo daughter was diagnosed with a positive flu test.  Alabama has stopped testing for the strain, but they are assuming the worst.

Here's the kicker; my 9 yo son has asthma and my wife has severe Rhuenatoid Arthritis, for which she takes a low dose of chemo like medicine to control the inflammation.  She is already running a fever.  She also suffers severe upper respiratory issues they have labeled COPD even though she has never smoked (nor I).

I will chronicle the saga here.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Last night my 4yo daughter was diagnosed with a positive flu test.  Alabama has stopped testing for the strain, but they are assuming the worst.

Here's the kicker; my 9 yo son has asthma and my wife has severe Rhuenatoid Arthritis, for which she takes a low dose of chemo like medicine to control the inflammation.  She is already running a fever.  She also suffers severe upper respiratory issues they have labeled COPD even though she has never smoked (nor I).

I will chronicle the saga here.

Best of luck to you and yours.  Most people with flu die of dehydration; keep your whole family drinking as much fluids as possible, and avoiding caffeine and alcohol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:08:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn, man.... take it easy and best wishes.  As the above poster said.... make sure everyone drinks lots of fluids.... even when they dont want to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Best of luck to the family.  My 18 y/o had it 2 weeks ago and is doing fine now. My 7 y/o got it from him, but is doing good too. My 3rd son, the wife, and I did not get it. Just remember to wash hands, have your son cough into the inner bend of his elbow (not his hands), and you should be able to keep it from spreading to the rest of the family.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thoughts are with you, best of luck and keep us posted!

Prepper
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Best wishes, previous posters pretty much have the sound advice covered.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Prayers sent.  

We're a weak family with upper respiratory things, so we stock adult and child mucinex.  It's an expectorant and loosens up the mucus so coughs are more productive.  Helps a great deal with breathing. May be something to run by your doc.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Good luck...Hope all gets well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#8]
YIKES! prayers for you and your family.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#9]
TINS, i hope your daughter and family get better soon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#10]
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I agree with the keeping hydrated advice.  I would try to pick up some pedialyte or gatorade if possible.  However,the pedialyte can be a bit tough for some people to drink in large quantities.  I have also used what I call "jello-water", which is just taking a box of flavored jello, making it, and drinking the liquid before it "sets" and turns into jello.

One last thing, if you notice any of your family members starting to have any respiratory distress, get them to the doctor/emergency room immediately.  Don't wait to see if it gets worse, as this could possibly be time spent getting medical treatment.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]
prayers sent-

bro watch them  with the tamiflu if they got it. our little one was on it for 2 days when we pulled her off...that shit fucks the little ones up!

call if ya need to!!!

D
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Hang in there buddy.

I have a new idea for a shelter so I might have to give you some more business soon if you want to make some dough.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good luck, prayers outbound for the family

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Some good news!  The wife just left the doctor who cleared her of the dreaded bug but said she does have bronchitis (which she gets about 4-6X each year, a big part of the concern).  

He loaded her up with antibiotics for the bronchitis and gave her a flu shot (which were available today for most of the doctor's offices I cover in Alabama), so hopefully that will help.

The Pediatrician didn't give us Tamiflu for the 4 yo sighting the reference Protus made.  She said as long as she is drinking/peeing let it run it's course.

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts.  

Here's hoping it's isolated to the little one.

Spoon
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It ran thru my kids.  They all bounced back within a week.

Hang in there.  So far, the flu may be  early, but not living up to its evil rep.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I agree with the keeping hydrated advice.  I would try to pick up some pedialyte or gatorade if possible.  However,the pedialyte can be a bit tough for some people to drink in large quantities.  I have also used what I call "jello-water", which is just taking a box of flavored jello, making it, and drinking the liquid before it "sets" and turns into jello.

One last thing, if you notice any of your family members starting to have any respiratory distress, get them to the doctor/emergency room immediately.  Don't wait to see if it gets worse, as this could possibly be time spent getting medical treatment.

+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Some good news! The wife just left the doctor who cleared her of the dreaded bug but said she does have bronchitis (which she gets about 4-6X each year, a big part of the concern).

He loaded her up with antibiotics for the bronchitis and gave her a flu shot (which were available today for most of the doctor's offices I cover in Alabama), so hopefully that will help.

The Pediatrician didn't give us Tamiflu for the 4 yo sighting the reference Protus made. She said as long as she is drinking/peeing let it run it's course.

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts.

Here's hoping it's isolated to the little one.

Spoon

the tamiflu, gives them the shits bad.also will make them puke. our major concern was her lack of appitetite and she was getting confused..aka- one day threw up all in  the truck. got her out cleaned up and she starting asking why her seat was wet and why her shorts were off....she didnt know where she was or what had happend.

we took her off asap. my reason was- no more fever, no more cough...let it run its course. 24-48 after getting off the tamiflu she was a normal little girl again. hungry but normal

me i started to get sick...

sucked down-

2k of vit C ,2x multi vit, 1000iu of D 3, 2x dbl shots of elderberry tincture and 1 shot of echinciea tincture ,800 mg of echinecia

once i got past the feeling tired deal i hiked 6 miles one day and ran 1.5 miles the next .....

only issue i have is some snius drip in the back of my thraot and when i i run im not back to my 100% in distance...i took 5 days off running so im getting back into the swing of it,,no issues breathing at all.

i hate doctors LOL

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
prayers sent-

bro watch them  with the tamiflu if they got it. our little one was on it for 2 days when we pulled her off...that shit fucks the little ones up!
call if ya need to!!!

D

This.
Our 19mo was given the liquid suspension and we found out he's allergic to it. We found out after the fact that this is very common. It also tastes like crap. He usually threw most of it back up. Even if they can handle it, this stuff is not easy to give to a baby.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Well that's no good.

Best wishes to you and the family.

Gene
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have a new idea for a shelter so I might have to give you some more business soon if you want to make some dough.

My thought also!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Good luck sir.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#23]
my best wishes go out to your family.

In addition to the fluids, you may also start everyone on some Vitamin D (D3).  From the research out there, it is suppose to be very good at battling influenza.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#24]
My daughter's fever finally broke this afternoon-that is to say it hasn't been over 100 at any point since 2 am.  She hasn't eaten in 3 days and still isn't hungry, but she is taking fluids better.  She still has some road ahead, but the news is looking good.

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts!

Spoon
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Good deal!  Keep it up, dont slack off now.... no rest for you!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Good luck man, hang in there
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#27]
UPDATE:

9 yo son positive as of 3:00 pm central time.  Fever between 102 and 104 on alternating fever reducers.  Miserable little guy, but follows drinking indtructions easier than the 4 yo.

The 4 year olds fever is gone today, but stil very lethergic and finally ate a little dinner tonight without the threat of violence from daddy.  She lost 4 pounds(10% body weight) even though she didn't have diarhhea or vomiting, just not eating, i guess.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Spoon,

Prayers inbound for you and yours.

Hope you all get better...

By the way, here is a free plug for your work...  We really like the Door of Doom panel you made for us..

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, hang in there Spooner!  Vit D3 & Vit C will help, and if you get the Emergen-C drinkmix, or the Walgren knockoffs it tastes better.  Clear sodas, like Sprite & gingerale (helps with nausea too) to vary the fluid intake and to give them some glucose...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Just to echo several others...

good luck; everyone should pull through well.

In my experience COPD in the absence of smoking = alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency, environmental damage (silicosis/coal workers/farmers lung/early asbestosis/etc)  ensure that her docs have been thorough––some times it makes a difference, although many times treatment is the same.

+1 on the tamiflu is ineffective for kids, esp those <6months.  Those with health issues should probably still take it.

It appears swine flu is going to be a bad cold for 99% of us this year.  Here's to hoping we're not the 1%.

NH
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Hang in there.  No one wants sick kids, and your concern is warranted.  My heart goes out to you.

But

it is the flu for Christ's sake.    Think about it as prepping for a real pandemic.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Coolrunnings;

Bingo!  Precisely why I wanted to keep this going.  My family has a wide spectrum of health )or lack there of) and I wanted to give a running commentary on the situ for folks to see...nothing more.

In a large way, I am glad that this happened so that the "fear" of getting Swine flu is behind us.  Also, if the strain comes around again later in the year, as fear mongered predicted, we'll already have developed some natural immunity...

I also still have some real concern for my wife, as she is the least healthy of us all and seems to be acquiring all the symptoms.

I appreciate all the prayers, comments and thoughts, cause SHTF or not, there's nothing like your little ones being sick.  If i could, I would take it for all of them.  

Spoon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top