Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/17/2009 10:37:51 AM EST
This I hope will help other people know that canning your own meats really is not that hard to do I made chicken and dumplings over a year ago and tried to can them in a presser cooked one had gone bad in a few weeks bad seal on it so I just keep putting of trying the rest so I maned up today and open o of the jars the meal smelled fine taste was bland but nothing that a little garlic did not solve! After this I think I'm going to start canning more meat meals!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:03:37 AM EST
My grandma told me stories of when she would can whole meals so grandpa could take them with him while he farmed. They would stay canned for months. When she got something, they canned it. My family cans everything from the garden. Once you get into it, its really easy and save you a bunch down the road.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:06:39 PM EST
I like to roll up venison steaks and can them that way. Ya don't even have to heat them up, I save the juice to make gravy.

Now I'm hungry...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:27:13 PM EST
i havce some beef stew and chicken soup......im nervous as all get out...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:34:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By protus:

what you nervous about Protus? Eating the food or that you don't have enough canned?.....

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:49:20 PM EST

Smell is the greatest tool the one that had the bad seal stunk to high hell almost like road kill in a can! But I can't say I blame you it took me over a year to try mine. Bit I'm glad I did cause know I'm going to do a lot more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:22:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By tayous1:

Smell is the greatest tool the one that had the bad seal stunk to high hell almost like road kill in a can! But I can't say I blame you it took me over a year to try mine. Bit I'm glad I did cause know I'm going to do a lot more.

I think the stinky ones are no worry at all.
What you need to worry about is botulism, which will kill you while being tasteless.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:32:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 4:32:57 PM EST by Willz]
I had salmonella poisoning as a kid, my wife swears that's why I never get sick.

My grandmother canned everything meat, veggies, soups, ...watermelon

I wish I'd paid attention.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:44:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By VectorTX:

I think the stinky ones are no worry at all.
What you need to worry about is botulism, which will kill you while being tasteless.

True but them worry about it with any canned food you eat homemade or store bought.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:46:04 PM EST
This I hope will help other people know that canning your own meats really is not that hard to do I made chicken and dumplings over a year ago and tried to can them in a presser cooked one had gone bad in a few weeks bad seal on it so I just keep putting of trying the rest so I maned up today and open o of the jars the meal smelled fine taste was bland but nothing that a little garlic did not solve! After this I think I'm going to start canning more meat meals!

It took me 5 minutes to understand what you were saying. Use periods next time.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:01:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By wreckinturn4:

Yea. It did kinda hurt the brain to read.

I tried to ask my grandmother in law about canning. Told her I like to make big batches of chili and would like to put some in some jars instead of taking up freezer space. She laughed at me "well just make smaller batches." Kept laughing. Said it wasn't worth bothering with, and it was way to hard. I figured someone from her generation would have known its a viable skill to know. Guess not. SO, i'll go it alone.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:06:37 PM EST

Iguessthatmybrainjustputtheperiodsintherewhi­leIwasreadingitIdidn'tseemtohaveanytroubleata­llunderstandingwhathewastryingtosay.
MIKE
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:42:34 PM EST
You guys don't can, then boil??
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:27:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By mike-in-savannah:

Iguessthatmybrainjustputtheperiodsintherewhil­eIwasreadingitIdidn'tseemtohaveanytroubleatal­lunderstandingwhathewastryingtosay.
MIKE

^^^^^
i think i spend way too much time on the interwebs, i read that without any issues... so i guess hooked on protus' phonix worked for me...

K.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:42:07 PM EST
Dibs on guns & ammo
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:17:32 AM EST
Top Top