Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/13/2012 3:00:35 PM EDT
Hi Guys.

We are considering adding to the family with the addition of a canine friend.  I know many of you won't read, and will post something totally off topic.  Thanks, but save the digital ink will you please?  I'm tempted by Black Russian Terriers, but their physical size is less than ideal for us.  140 lb dogs don't fit into canoes easily....  Ideally, this is more of a canine burglar alarm than a prootection dog.  I'm thinking that a living, breathing set of canine sense would be a useful SHTF addition to the preps.

An ideal breed for us would be:

moderate size, 40 lbs
very trainable
affectionate and social with family members
somewhat defensive of territory, barking at strangers (instead of merely licking them to death as per Golden Retriever standard operating procedure)
not have very high exercise requirements

Any breeds come to mind?  please don't start posting "Malinois", GSD, mastiffs,  etc. I am specifically NOT looking for a large breed.  I don't need 127 lbs of fur and fang.  I'm looking more for a companion that will bark and alert primarily, not rip the throat out of the UPS man.

Thanks  Fro
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Fro,
We have 2 chichuahahs (sp), 2 labs and an Australian shepherd all are under 60 lbs, the 2 little ones are around 8 lbs. All our dogs are great watch dogs and get along well with each other and the family. They haven't offered to bite anyone but they will hackle up and raise hell at anyone that comes around. I also know that healers are good dogs.

BTW: all our dogs are rescues so please check the humaine society and give a dog a chance if you can.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Australian Cattle Dog would fit the bill.  They're usually around 28 lbs.  Very versatile breed, just make sure to temperament test the one you're considering, as shyness and fear aggression are somewhat common (although considered a fault).  If you get one with good nerves, you'll have a fantastic pet that should meet your criteria.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Papillon.........
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
our dachshunds are awesome. very intelligent, great watchdogs (bark at anyone coming in the house until they identify them), love toys, don't eat much and are very loving. i would suggest getting two; they seem to do better when they have a buddy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Blackmouth Cur.  They will fight a grizzly bear to protect your family.  I had one protect me from a potential break-in one night a couple of years ago.  These guys can turn into lions to protect their family.
I use them to hog hunt.
The female in the picture has taken over our home. That is her in the bottom picture about 10 minutes after we bought her home.  She is extremely intelligent, protective, and possessive.  She will not hesitate to attack one of the males.
They require a lot of attention and need room to run, they are highly energetic and athletic. They also bond very hard with one person.  I am teaching them hand signals.  My smallest male cannot stand to have me out of his sight unless we are in the woods, he sometimes sleeps at the foot of my bed.

My two smallest males are right around the 45 lb mark.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Aussie shepard or Border collie
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BTW: all our dogs are rescues so please check the humaine society and give a dog a chance if you can.

I will second that.  Our two dogs are great!  We saved both of ours and couldn't get them to run away if we wanted to
The older one is an Australian stumpy tail cattle dog pure bread... (his personality matches his looks, he is as much of a block head as he looks like one.)
He is the one on the right side:

He really needs a routine and follows it to a T.  Move his food dish to a different spot when it is feeding time and he gets all out of sorts.  Good dog other the he is going/ and is already 3/4 the way blind.
The other guy is a mutt.  But he is actually one of the smartest dogs I have every had. (grew up with terriers, labs, standard poodle, and boxers.)
I would guess he is an English Shepard mix.
He will actually obay nothing but hand commands in our house.  I can make a pointing movement from him into a room and he knows to go in there. same for stay, sit, shake, switch paws, jump up etc.  He will not roll over...  and does not listen very well when away from home/ property and there is another new animal involved (he is fine once he meets the new dog or cat etc.)
But I always remember both of our dogs were adults when we got them.  
He is a very tolerant dog... We go for a 3 mile walk every day its not pouring rain or a blizzard out.
Here is a picture from when we first got him:

his "be mean looking command."  Not sure if he would actually attack... He is a good watch dog.

Wait he is not a mean dog!

My wife is a Vet Tech so they have a good health care program... Also is good for us because we can "try out" rescue/ stray dogs from her work to see if we are interested in adopting them.  We did that with the older guy.  I also like the fact that both our dogs have "12 hour bladders"
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#8]
boston terrier; one of the best/smartest dogs I ever had; she was an extremely possessive and vicious little bitch.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=36844
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=38348
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=34455
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=29503
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44370
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44369
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=38347

Blackmouth Cur.  They will fight a grizzly bear to protect your family.  I had one protect me from a potential break-in one night a couple of years ago.  These guys can turn into lions to protect their family.
I use them to hog hunt.
The female in the picture has taken over our home. That is her in the bottom picture about 10 minutes after we bought her home.  She is extremely intelligent, protective, and possessive.  She will not hesitate to attack one of the males.
They require a lot of attention and need room to run, they are highly energetic and athletic. They also bond very hard with one person.  I am teaching them hand signals.  My smallest male cannot stand to have me out of his sight unless we are in the woods, he sometimes sleeps at the foot of my bed.

My two smallest males are right around the 45 lb mark.

that is a damn fine looking dog

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like you need the smallest herding group dog available.  The Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

They basically are a 30lb German Shepherd.  They protect the Queen of England on a daily basis.  Seriously she has 10 of them.

They're known as the big dog in a little dog package.  originally designed by the English to heard cattle which they do extremely well.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]
There have been some good suggestions.  I would like to add the Welsh Corgi to the list.  They are extremely hardy dogs that will handle all the outdoor adventures you want, but you'll appreciate the small size in the house and on car rides.  Don't let those little legs fool you, they're fast and can climb hills like a goat.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need the smallest herding group dog available.  The Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

They basically are a 30lb German Shepherd.  They protect the Queen of England on a daily basis.  Seriously she has 10 of them.

They're known as the big dog in a little dog package.  originally designed by the English to heard cattle which they do extremely well.  

http://www.doggies.com/images-new/breed-guide-dog-photos/199_welsh_corgi.jpg

I've got to learn to type quicker.  You beat me by a few minutes.  That's the longest neck I've ever seen on a corgi.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Lootie, those BMC's are beautiful.  I'm seriously considering getting one.  

I'm interested in the piglets in the first picture.  What are those?  That is some weird colors on that red one.  Duroc cross?  Tamworth cross?  Interesting little porkers there...
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I have a toy poodle.  It is good with the kids (as long as they don't provoke her), barks at everything, doesn't shed, weighs about 8 lbs or so, and just wants to sit on our laps.  It is small enough that it can run all over the house, and doesn't need long walks around the block.

The only down side is the grooming.  We bought the clippers to keep her trimmed up, and her short, thick, curly, hair can get matted easily if we don't keep her brushed and trimmed.  We routinely trim our dog's  feet anyway(the poodle and our lab-retriever mix), and clip their nails, so that's not such a big issue for us.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
One of my dogs is a Rhodesian Ridgeback / Black Mouth Cur mix. She is a fantastic dog. Protective of the family but not aggressive, loves attention, very athletic and strong, and weighs in right around 55 lbs. She's also does very well hunting/catching almost anything. I think 40-60 lbs. is an ideal weight, it begets a strong dog with substantial size that doesn't have some of the health issues of larger breeds. They also cost less to feed.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Yorkshire terrier.   Smart, don't shed, eat very little and amazing hearing.  We've had several in my family.   Loved all of them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't rule out Mutts.

Some of the worst dogs I have had were pure breeds and some of the best dogs I have had were mixes of unknown origin.

My Mutts.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#18]
We have a 25 pound rescue mutt. She looks to be part Aussie Cattle dog and pointer. She can stalk and point just like a full size pointer and is smart as a whip. Her foster mom brought her over when she was 8 weeks old and has been an integral part of the family ever since. We have been thinking about getting another pup.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#19]
We have a miniature Australian Shepherd.  She does't look like a traditional 'mini' dog, and is affectionate with her family and VERY intelligent.  She is however very territorial and will bark at anyone entering her house, or any noises fom just outside the house.  She weighs about 30lbs.  Also, because of her eyes ive noticed people tend to steer clear of her or be more intimidated by her than her size would normally suggest.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Standard Schnauzer, smallest of the working breeds.

These guys meet your requirements perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Have you read dogs for preppers? A link was posted today in either gd or sd or sg I forget. It's free on amazon today

Edit: I just read the book it only took an hour or so, not long but it will get you started
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Blue Heeler.  Ours weighs 40lbs.  She is very protective of her environment.  The house, yard, any vehicle she is in.  If she doesn't know you and we don't say it's ok, you are not getting in.  Extremely smart, active breed.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't do it!
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Just go to the shelter, and pick one.  I have 3 rescues(all very smart) and 1 pure(in)bred sheltie, and he is a total tard.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:16:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Australian Shepherd always gets my vote.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Look at some breeds of terriers.  Specifically a Jack Russel is a wonderful Dog and small.  Terriers are also very territorial and loyal and will hold their ground against much larger intruders.  Smart too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lootie, those BMC's are beautiful.  I'm seriously considering getting one.  

I'm interested in the piglets in the first picture.  What are those?  That is some weird colors on that red one.  Duroc cross?  Tamworth cross?  Interesting little porkers there...

Piney-hill rooters caught in a trap near my home.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Another Vote for Corgi's.  We have one who looks full blood (she just showed up at our house) and she is a great dog.
I don't know if this is a characteristic of the breed, but she DOESN'T bark all the time, which is great because when she DOES bark I know that there is something actually close to the house.  I.E. she doesn't bark at people walking down the street, but she will go crazy if something is close to our yard.

She is also VERY good with our son.  He is only 6 months old, but we have already started taking him outside in a stroller or letting him wiggle around on a blanket.
She loves him.  She gets really excited when we take him out, but she is very gentle, doesn't jump on him etc.  
She likes to lick his toes

Also, they are much "bigger" than they look.  She killed a opossum a few months ago that was only a little smaller than her.  Didn't have a scratch on her.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got an Aussie/ACD mix, also known as a Texas Heeler. She's about 50lbs.

She's a great watch dog in that she will let us know if someone is close to the house, or even when something is out of place outside If I put a box of trash on the curb, she will bark at it til I walk her over to inspect

She is not phased by aggression at all, however she will not bite an intruder either. I learned that after a burglary

I know many of her relatives would though. The temperament is really going to vary by dog.

Speed

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a Miniature Pinscher.  This dude is awesome from one side to the other.  Mine carries pure bred papers, but he's quite large for the breed at a healthy 21 lbs.
The "Min Pin" is supposed to be more like 12 lbs, not sure what happened there.  Either way the dog was bred for hunting mice and rodents, they are quick, agile, smart and they are great driveway alarms.  They look like a small Doberman Pinscher, most people think that they are one (no blood relation).  They have attitude, but can be loving and affectionate.

Mine likes to sit on the back of the couch, where he can see outside and lets me know when someone slows down in front of my house.  The UPS guy is terrified of him.  Mine in particular will stand up the hair on his back, show teeth growl and bark, jump up and down and give the full treatment.... if you run he will chase.  If you just stand there he will sniff you until he feels comfortable then jump up and down until you show him attention.  When I'm at home on the couch he wants nothing more than for me to get a blanket over my lap for him to crawl underneath.  He seems to understand that a small child is not to be pounced on, he will stand up and lick the face of my 7 yr old niece with his front paws on her chest, but he doesn't mess with my 1.5 yr old nephew.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Shetland Sheepdog (Miniature Collie) Portable
Very loyal, but bark at strangers.
Have the herding instinct, wont run off.
Don't shed but you have to brush out the undercoat occasionally
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One of my dogs is a Rhodesian Ridgeback / Black Mouth Cur mix. She is a fantastic dog. Protective of the family but not aggressive, loves attention, very athletic and strong, and weighs in right around 55 lbs. She's also does very well hunting/catching almost anything. I think 40-60 lbs. is an ideal weight, it begets a strong dog with substantial size that doesn't have some of the health issues of larger breeds. They also cost less to feed.

WOW ! I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback / Black Mouth Cur mix, but he is huge, about 150lbs! Much taller than my Rottie. Looks like a cross between a great Dane and a Black lab. His siblings look more like Ridgbacks but when he is alert the ridge hair stands up.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Standard Schnauzer, smallest of the working breeds.

These guys meet your requirements perfectly.

We have a mini Schanuzer that I've come to love.  

Smaller than OP listed, but other than that they would fit the bill.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I love a black mouth cur.
I am not sure how cold-tolerant they are though.

Australian Cattle Dog is a good choice, but must be socialized well.

Terriers are gtg as well. I have a Border. 20 lbs. 2 coats. Medium boned. Designed to keep up with a horse all day. Mine comes to work with me every day, and lives for camping, boating, etc. Not a great "watch" dog, but decent. Strong prey drive, but very trainable. I routinely walk him without a lead and he will not leave my hip without permission. Minimal shedding. He is a very hardy little companion.

Many people think they want strong sporting dogs. I like them too, but be mindful of their energy requirements and how much time you'll have to let them burn it up. A tired dog is a good dog.

GL
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Another vote for the Jack Russel Terrier. Careful though, by the the hardest dog to train I ever had, stubborn little SOB.
The English Bull terrier is a great dog, maybe its a bit too big but for the size it packs a punch and has a nice personality. There's supposed to be a mini version, but seems to have health issues.
The Staffy is nice too, pretty similar to the APBT, but without the bad rep.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#37]
My first post here since I am very passionate bout dogs.

moderate size, 40 lbs
very trainable
affectionate and social with family members
somewhat defensive of territory, barking at strangers (instead of merely licking them to death as per Golden Retriever standard operating procedure)
not have very high exercise requirements

Staffordshire Bull Terrier under 40 pounds

1. Very trainable yes
2. Very affectionate with family members and young children yes
3. May bark at strangers, pit bulls are not known for being protective, but my last 2 pitbull type dogs were brothers from the same parents, the alpha dog was very confident and could tell with great accuracy who was a potential threat, who was a friend from 10 years ago and who was not a threat, kids etc.
4. These dogs can be lazy couch potatoes all day long or all week long and they can be ready for hardcore mountain biking, canoe rides, dock diving, hunting, car rides, hiking, feet warming etc..
Best dogs I ever trained and owned. Very eager to please, they never give up, confidence levels are off the map. Loyalty, agility, strength, athleticism, courage, tenacity are all inside of this breed.
5. The only con.....Can be dog aggressive.

We have a 7 month pup right now, together with my kids, a 3 year old and 5 year old. They all get along like partners in crime. hehe its so cute to watch them play around and rough house.
http://pitbullcenter.com/images2/swiper-springpole.jpg
This is a pic of my pups sire, he is about 38 pounds in show condition.
http://pitbullcenter.com/images2/bruce-sylon-ringmaster.jpg
fyi, I dont know the owners of the Sire. I think I may photoshop her toenails red.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#38]
My mother has an American Eskimo from a rescue and she is a damn cute and loyal dog who will also bark and growl at intruders

My dog is a Eskie Mix I got from the same rescue and she is a great dog, barks at squirrels or cows the neighbors have but growls if there is someone at the front door until I tell her to sit and she listens to me. Get's along well with guests after I show I'm comfortable with them.

neither needs much excersize because they play together pretty often

I really reccomend getting a rescue dog play with them for an hour or so alone before you decide if it's the dog for you.  Rescue dogs LOVE being taken home and having a loving home.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Beagle or Corgi is my $.02.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bull Terrier

Jack Russell Terrier

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Boston Terrier is exactly what you want. Really great with people and love, love, love their family members. They have lots of mini guard dog in them and always looking out for the family. Super easy to care for and shed very little. They do come in a verity of sizes, from little guys to larger ones upwards of 40-50 lbs but that would depend on the parents and the breeding to determine if you get a puppy.

I always recommend taking a dog in because their are just way to many dogs in this would that people dump off like trash that turn out to be the greatest dogs ever. 3 of my 4 dogs are rescue dogs and each one is amazingly awesome. Have a family dog has many health benefits most would also never guess. On average, people that own a family dog live longer and have less health problems.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:12:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Another vote for the standard schnauzer. Also known as the do it all schnauzer. Orginally named wire haired pinscher. They were the poor mans dog of germany A ratter, guard dog, hunting dog, herder. They weigh about 40lbs are very intelligent can handle cold weather.  They also dont shed very much.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 3:18:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Many in our family have allergies so we had to go with a hybrid breed last year.  We ended up getting a "Teddybear Dog", which is the result of one of three breeding combinations (i.e. Bichon & Shitzu).  You get a dog that gets no larger than 10 pounds, has a beautiful coat and doesn't agrivate allergies.  From a personality perspective these dogs are very lovable, smart and are very alert.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Australian Cattle Dog.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#45]
English Staffordshire Bull Terrier as shown above. For a dog in your size range this is a ball of whoop ass. As said above may not play well with others. My brother and parents both currently have puppies from the same breeder, different litters. These dogs are no joke pound for pound. Great dogs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We have a miniature Australian Shepherd.  She does't look like a traditional 'mini' dog, and is affectionate with her family and VERY intelligent.  She is however very territorial and will bark at anyone entering her house, or any noises fom just outside the house.  She weighs about 30lbs.  Also, because of her eyes ive noticed people tend to steer clear of her or be more intimidated by her than her size would normally suggest.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44373

I have been toying with Aus Shepherds & Heelers, but that is an adorable
little dog. I will check into a mini AS.

Thanks!

John

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Toy Aussies
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Don't rule out Mutts.

Some of the worst dogs I have had were pure breeds and some of the best dogs I have had were mixes of unknown origin.

QFT
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#50]
A Cairn Terrier is exactly what you've described, except they're 18 pounds instead of 40.  Fearless, loyal, territorial, affectionate but not clingy, intelligent and easy to train, they are also non-shedding and hypo-allergenic for a lot of people with dog allergies.  We've had Cairns for over 25 years and they are great dogs.

They also love Christmas presents!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top