Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 6:37:28 AM EDT
Hey Folks,

I have never hunted deer with my shotgun. I was wondering if you all could give advice on slugs for a smoothbore shotgun.

I live in NC, and want to take advantage of the full season, so I will be buying a bow; but am debating between a new muzzleloader, a rifled slug barrel, or just sticking with the barrel I have now.

I would appreciate y'alls advice on the slugs and barrel issue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:44:44 AM EDT
Every shotgun is different. Buy a few different brands and try them. I've never used them but the Rem TrueBall slugs have a good rep for accuracy. Most guns shoot rifled slugs better with a less constrictive choke. So if you have interchangeable chokes start with the most open chke tube you have.

Personally I'd spend the money on a decent muzzleloader before I'd get a rifled barrel. Rifled slugs are too expensive to practice with.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:27:24 AM EDT
Federal TruBall
Remington Slugger
Brenneke Classic

Buy some of each and try them. I like the Brenneke, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/30/2011 8:14:47 PM EDT by PAPI]
DIXIE SLUGS OR DIXIE TRII BALLS
http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

" IF " you handload ? This looks to be a winner !

US SLUGS

http://www.europeancartridgeunlimited.com/en/usslug.html

PAPI
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:25:23 AM EDT
if you have a smoothbore you only have two options:

1) The old foster type slug. Don't underestimate these. My low dollar 870 Express slug barrel (smooth) will group these into a decent 4-5" circle at 100 yards, and they are devastating. These are honest 100 yard venison makers. I've tried various types and sizes, since different makers do group better/worse depending on the barrel. Mine likes cheap Federal fosters. I did find all 2 3/4" grouped better than 3" in my gun.

2) Brenneke slugs. Brenneke makes what amounts to a foster type slug with a plastic wad attached to the base. the wad flies with the slug. these work well for me too.

All the other various sabotted slugs are not going to stabilize in a smoothbore. If you anticipate deer shots under 100 yards (even better, under 75) stick with the smoothbore and some fosters. Buy a couple boxes of different makes, shoot em and see what works best in your gun.

if you barrel is a bird barrel, you will NOT get great groups unless you find some method of more precise aiming. That big bead works OK for 30 yards, not so great at 75. There are various means of clip on sights that work on vent ribs. If you need better sights there are few good options. If you need to buy a better barrel (due to sights) then you might want to investigate as rifled barrel
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:26:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By frozenny:
if you have a smoothbore you only have two options:

1) The old foster type slug. Don't underestimate these. My low dollar 870 Express slug barrel (smooth) will group these into a decent 4-5" circle at 100 yards, and they are devastating. These are honest 100 yard venison makers. I've tried various types and sizes, since different makers do group better/worse depending on the barrel. Mine likes cheap Federal fosters. I did find all 2 3/4" grouped better than 3" in my gun.

2) Brenneke slugs. Brenneke makes what amounts to a foster type slug with a plastic wad attached to the base. the wad flies with the slug. these work well for me too.

All the other various sabotted slugs are not going to stabilize in a smoothbore. If you anticipate deer shots under 100 yards (even better, under 75) stick with the smoothbore and some fosters. Buy a couple boxes of different makes, shoot em and see what works best in your gun.

if you barrel is a bird barrel, you will NOT get great groups unless you find some method of more precise aiming. That big bead works OK for 30 yards, not so great at 75. There are various means of clip on sights that work on vent ribs. If you need better sights there are few good options. If you need to buy a better barrel (due to sights) then you might want to investigate as rifled barrel

Looks like I'm going to have to get a new barrel, or do some honey do's to get the wife to shake loose some money for a muzzleloader.

Thanks for the help, folks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:44:08 PM EDT
Federal Tru Ball hands down...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:28:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2011 4:44:12 PM EDT by PAPI]
Just an " FYI "..
I own several " Barrels " for my personal Remington " Vang Comp, 870 12 Gauge ".

1. Combat : Vang Comp 18 " smoothbore barrel w/ Tritium Iron Sights Installed

2. Big Game Hunting : Hasting Rifled, 22" barrel , with cantilever & Scope mounted (4X).

3. Bird Hunting : Hasting Wadlock II smoothbore 24 " Barrel, with screw in Chokes.

I would personally keep my " Slug " shots, within " 150 Yards " (Rifled Barrel & Scope)

" IF " cost ($$$) is the major factor ?

You might be better off buying a " .50 cal Rifled Barrel Muzzleloader ", which would (possible) reach out to " 0 - 200 + Yards "
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_7/649176_Best_ML_bullet_for_bear__.html

You will also be able to hunt , " Deer / Wild Pig / Black Bear / Elk / Moose / Bison " with the above Muzzleloader !

p.s.: I also own several Muzzleloaders : (2x) 50 & (1) 58 Caliber.
Didn't bother getting a " .72 cal " muzzleloader , since I already owned a " 12 Gauge Shotgun (slugs) "..

PAPI
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:15:51 PM EDT
i'v used the Brenneke KO's in my M590. groups into a couple of inches at 100 with them.
didnt say what SG you have, but with most of them its pretty easy to throw a cheap red dot on to take advantage of the slugs.
I have a Bushnell trophy RD on mine right now with QD rings, just takes a second to go back to stock if thats what your worried about.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:11:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By J75player:
i'v used the Brenneke KO's in my M590. groups into a couple of inches at 100 with them.
didnt say what SG you have, but with most of them its pretty easy to throw a cheap red dot on to take advantage of the slugs.
I have a Bushnell trophy RD on mine right now with QD rings, just takes a second to go back to stock if thats what your worried about.

I have the Mossberg 500 with short barrel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:10:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2011 3:12:23 AM EDT by Trashcan]
Old Painless did a box o truth on shotgun slugs. It somewhere on his website. There's some good info in that.
Here it is...hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:00:20 AM EDT
I hunted a couple seasons with Brenneke Black Magic slugs from a 26" smoothbore choked IC. Killed deer just fine but I wasn't confident in my shots past about 70ish yards (me, not the gun). Got a rifled barrel with iron sights and it shoots Rem CopperSolids like nothing else, good to about 100yd with the irons (again, me, not the gun). I now hunt with a scoped Mossberg 500 20ga with rifled barrel, and shoot Hornady SSTs. It's a solid 150+yd deer gun.

Muzzleloader with irons to 100ish yards, now it's scoped with a 2x scope and I'll comfortably run shoot out to 150-175yd.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:41:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2011 3:11:52 PM EDT by PAPI]
Just an additional " FYI " for those of you that like to use " Slugs & Smoothbores "'.

You might consider " Polishing " your Barrels. It's a very simple process !

Brush Research Manufacturing : Flex Hone for Firearms

http://www.brushresearch.com/brush-types.php?c1=4

I did several of my " 12 Guage Barrels ", ( Chamber Hone / Forcing Hone / Barrel Hone ), which all had noticeable " Interior ; Uneven Rough Spots , Tools Marks ? "'.

I used several different lead slugs to check the " Smoothness " after polishing !!

( lft-rt ) Dixie Slug / Dixie Slug / Remington Slug ?

You can just see the muzzle (lead smear residue) of the barrel (far rt) , after polishing and pushing a " Dixie Slug " slug thru (w/wood dowel ) my " Custom Vang Comp Barrel ".

PAPI

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:11:17 PM EDT
Where mandated by law I shoot regular winchester 2 3/4 slugs out of my smoothbore 870.
Surprisingly accurate and absolutely devastating inside 100 yards. I also shoot an Omega 50 cal 209 ML
and I just got a new Mathews Z7X.

If you can spare the funds I would recommend a rifled barrel for the shotty and find the sabots that work best.

My only caution would be to make sure 3" (or longer) shells function reliably in YOUR gun. My 870 wont
cycle ("pump") with 3" high brass shells. Seems the pressure expands the brass too much and makes pumping
it a PITA so I stick with plain old 5 bucks a box Winchesters.
Top Top