Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2014 8:06:25 PM EDT
Just thought I'd share this with SF. A fabric store in Belen, NM has gone out of business. He's going online with his remnants. He also has a lot of old Singer and other sewing machines (many suitible for manual operation, i.e. non-electric) he's selling (he repairs sewing machines). The store is closed but he can be contacted online. Here's his Email addy:

[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got an old sewing machine that is VERY well built.  Not a singer but it is quality.  I figured it'd be worth some money...nope!  Dime a dozen.  So I've held on to it thinking it may come in handy...it hasn't.  I sew by hand and I don't make my own clothes.  Not sure if anyone does.  Does anyone actually store bolts of material??

As for the remnants, I'm not sure what I'd stock up on but thanks for the heads up.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
we've a Singer from the turn of the last century that was converted to electric from hand operation..have the original hand wheel laying around somewhere..
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Have used an older singer to do upholstery work, would not try it with a new machine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:50:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got an old sewing machine that is VERY well built.  Not a singer but it is quality.  I figured it'd be worth some money...nope!  Dime a dozen.  So I've held on to it thinking it may come in handy...it hasn't.  I sew by hand and I don't make my own clothes.  Not sure if anyone does.  Does anyone actually store bolts of material??

As for the remnants, I'm not sure what I'd stock up on but thanks for the heads up.

-Emt1581
View Quote

We do.
My wife quilts, and her stockpile of fabric is analogous to my guns and ammo and other survival goodies.  We justify it because of, well, "just in case"... but in reality it's because we both like having a big pile of stuff we like.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We do.
My wife quilts, and her stockpile of fabric is analogous to my guns and ammo and other survival goodies.  We justify it because of, well, "just in case"... but in reality it's because we both like having a big pile of stuff we like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

We do.

My wife is the same way. Instead of Bolts of fabric, she has "fat quarters" stacked in many totes. Her quilting hobby is to her what my gun hobby is to me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My wife is the same way. Instead of Bolts of fabric, she has "fat quarters" stacked in many totes. Her quilting hobby is to her what my gun hobby is to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

We do.

As we do with food, first-aid supplies and other things related to prepping, there's also a real economic advantage to stockpiling fabric, thread and other supplies. We don't necessarily buy that stuff when we need it - we buy it when it's on sale, and buy a lot of it. Fabric stores occasionally have some killer deals, and my wife also gets coupons for extra $/% off.  Overall we probably pay between 20 and 40% of retail.  

Of course, you should only buy stuff you're pretty sure you'll use eventually... that $10 bolt of Power Rangers printed fabric that normally runs $60 is just ten bucks down the tube if you decide maybe the whole family doesn't want to wear superhero undies after all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top