Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:52:46 PM EDT
So yesterday was my birthday and I got a little cash. I was interested in getting into metals for obvious reasons, dollars a little questionable, metals are going up, plus they are kinda cool!

So after doing some research it looked like bullion was the best bang for the buck. 90% coins looked interesting but I decided to look for bullion. Silver in the amounts I had to spend seemed like the best deal. 1/20oz or gram gold coins just had to much overhead to be worth it. The shop I called didn't actually have 1oz bars of silver. I ended up with three 1 oz coins.

I don't have a picture.

the front is lady liberty. "E. Pluribus. Unum" around the outside with the date of 1984 at the bottom.

the back has a set of scales. The top says "one troy ounce" with 31.1 grams underneath. There are two things of...wheat? on either side of the scales. At the bottom it says ".999 fine silver" with "silver trade unit" below that.

It looks a lot like a morgan dollar....except its not.

I don't care if its a replica etc etc as long as it actually has the amount of silver it says it has.

I paid $14.15 each. which is a hair less then 1oz bullion was going for online.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Be interesting to see a pic. The " 31.1 grams underneath" has me curious. Ive never seen that b4. The pricing is okay, nothing great, certainly wasnt a deal for sure. I think Silver Eagles are pulling that kind of premium but your paying for the $1 portion of it as well as the silver content.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure it dosn't say 1884?

It sounds ligit but the US did not have a Bullion coin untill 86, tho in 84 there was a comimorative Olimpics coin, there certaintly could have been US Mint coins done, I realy don't know.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be just a silver "round".   I have seen rounds with Lady Liberty on front and various items on back.

Does the back look like this?

www.nwtmintbullion.com/images/nwtMint_rnd_obv.jpg
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
So yesterday was my birthday and I got a little cash. I was interested in getting into metals for obvious reasons, dollars a little questionable, metals are going up, plus they are kinda cool!

So after doing some research it looked like bullion was the best bang for the buck. 90% coins looked interesting but I decided to look for bullion. Silver in the amounts I had to spend seemed like the best deal. 1/20oz or gram gold coins just had to much overhead to be worth it. The shop I called didn't actually have 1oz bars of silver. I ended up with three 1 oz coins.

I don't have a picture.

the front is lady liberty. "E. Pluribus. Unum" around the outside with the date of 1984 at the bottom.

the back has a set of scales. The top says "one troy ounce" with 31.1 grams underneath. There are two things of...wheat? on either side of the scales. At the bottom it says ".999 fine silver" with "silver trade unit" below that.

It looks a lot like a morgan dollar....except its not.

I don't care if its a replica etc etc as long as it actually has the amount of silver it says it has.

I paid $14.15 each. which is a hair less then 1oz bullion was going for online.

You bought what is considered a generic silver round.  Yes it does look like a Morgan, but it is made by a private mint.  I forget which but I have a few tucked away.    For the generic silver rounds I think spot + 50c is fair so 14.15 is a completely fair price.

Silver is a cool investment/hobby...... and its very addicting.   Have fun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Silver closed at $13.58 today. I think you got a good deal. There's a coin shop near my house that tacks on $3/oz. I think that's a bit out of line, but there are other places to buy from.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Could be just a silver "round".   I have seen rounds with Lady Liberty on front and various items on back.

Does the back look like this?

www.nwtmintbullion.com/images/nwtMint_rnd_obv.jpg

very close. All the same elements but just a tad different. I'll

As for the rest of the comments... thank you all. It's one of those times where all the questions you should have asked come flying at you as you drive away.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I paid $15.16 on Tuesday for 1 OZ silver eagles. There is a $1.60 premium on the real US mint Eagles. I'm not worried about it though, because by the time I think I'll be needing them they should be worth about $50.00 each, unfortunately. And I also think it won't be too far in the future either.

I have some I bought 5 years ago for $5.50. Times they are a changing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]
It's probably not the greatest idea to buy slightly oddball, private mint silver.  The point being that the silver is only worth as much as the person you're trying to trade with thinks it's worth.  If it's something they don't recognize and trust, they probably won't accept it or will force you to discount the value significantly because of the possibility it's bogus.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's probably not the greatest idea to buy slightly oddball, private mint silver.  The point being that the silver is only worth as much as the person you're trying to trade with thinks it's worth.  If it's something they don't recognize and trust, they probably won't accept it or will force you to discount the value significantly because of the possibility it's bogus.

I totally agree. next time it will be "brand name" bars.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Silver is 15 times more abundant than gold and selling at 1/54 the price.
What has copper and lead done over the past year?

Don't sweat it when silver hits $50 again you'll look like a genius.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Did I mention this is addicting... You get to buy something cool. Then you can always return it and most likely get all your money back. It's like a no limit return policy. Well ok it could tank and I'd be out a whopping $42.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Did I mention this is addicting... You get to buy something cool. Then you can always return it and most likely get all your money back. It's like a no limit return policy. Well ok it could tank and I'd be out a whopping $42.

Well, Its cool cuz its a tangible item, you can touch it, etc. Plus its so Shiney. lol

recent pic I took.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Silver is 15 times more abundant than gold and selling at 1/54 the price.
What has copper and lead done over the past year?

Don't sweat it when silver hits $50 again you'll look like a genius.

Yep gold is $750.00, silver should be around $53.00 now!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#14]
nice!

where do you guys buy your silver?

apmex was my starting spot but decided with shipping for my low purchasing power buying locally was probably cheaper. Then again I'm talking a couple rounds or bars. If it were gold online would probably be cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I buy from Bulliondirect.com, they sell small amounts were some places don't.

Or I buy local, but the closest shop is 50 miles round trip.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Local is cheaper, if you buy silver eagles there is usually no tax. If you buy bullions they add tax, atleast that is how the local shop does it. ALso buy silver in cash, using a CC kind of negates what you are doing and you can usually get it a lil cheaper with cash.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Well, Its cool cuz its a tangible item, you can touch it, etc. Plus its so shiny. lol

Here's a little known fact: Silver is the MOST reflective substance known to man, and that is just one of the reasons it has so many scientific uses.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, Its cool cuz its a tangible item, you can touch it, etc. Plus its so shiny. lol

Here's a little known fact: Silver is the MOST reflective substance known to man, and that is just one of the reasons it has so many scientific uses.

Well there are other uses, but when ive tried to convey them nothing transpired. But in the olden days, ppl would put Silver coins in their water/milk to help purify it. Coldial silver is known in the medicine world to help alements.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
nice!

where do you guys buy your silver?

apmex was my starting spot but decided with shipping for my low purchasing power buying locally was probably cheaper. Then again I'm talking a couple rounds or bars. If it were gold online would probably be cheaper.

Colorado Gold  Don Stott is a man of his word and has good prices to boot.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top