Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 12:21:40 PM EDT
How many people carry a road flare in their bob? Seems like an awesome emergency fire starter/ signaling device. I have heard that they can self ignite in vehicle trunks. What are the chances they will self exnite in my bob? Should I just carry 2 large flares?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have them in my trunk kit, but I don't I would pack them along if I went shanks mare.

ETA:  That said, I also have a battery powered strobe which would serve the signaling purpose
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep several in the car, but they're too bulky to drag along in a bob
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The full size flares in my trunk are far too bulky for my GHB, but the smaller Pains Wessex Mk8 flares with the telescopic handle could be an option I suppose. The Mk8 is just under 7" long with the handle retracted. Still too big for my GHB though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You want marine flares, not road flares . Most of the road flares I've seen for sale are made pretty cheap where as marine flares are built extra tough and are made to hold up in all kinds of conditions . Any Walmart will have them .
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
You get to start 1 fire per flare...and it's gonna be the smelliest fire you've ever seen.
As mentioned above...buy a strobe...I have a single D cell version.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 6 pack of Long buring flares in the car and (2) cases of them at the house. every winter the road in front of my house freezes and I pull 7-8 cars out of the ditch. I burn through a dozen or so flares a winter.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw a show about Alaskan bush pilots a while back.  One pilot said a flare had saved his life.
He started a fire in a downpour with one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Having one of the half size road flares may benefit in an an emergency. I've been monkeying around with making early warning devices with the full size road flares. They're super bright, with a 20 min. burn time on average.
If set up with a little forethought,  a decent trip-set up would effectively illuminate intruders and funnel them to areas of advantage for your defenses. Not to mention,  alerting you to exactly where a breech has occurred.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Having one of the half size road flares may benefit in an an emergency. I've been monkeying around with making early warning devices with the full size road flares. They're super bright, with a 20 min. burn time on average.
If set up with a little forethought,  a decent trip-set up would effectively illuminate intruders and funnel them to areas of advantage for your defenses. Not to mention,  alerting you to exactly where a breech has occurred.

I would be interested in this setup. Could you show us how to do it please?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#10]
i got a few in the truck,, some parachute flares etc as well. Wally mart sells some nice small cigar sized flares for 5$ for a 2 pack,,,i keep them in the truck as well

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I keep handheld marine flares in the car.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You get to start 1 fire per flare...and it's gonna be the smelliest fire you've ever seen.Beats hell out of hypothermia, will start the wettest  wood each and every time
As mentioned above...buy a strobe...I have a single D cell version.I like these too

A railroad flare or a marine flare is an absolutely sure way to start a fire. Yes it will stink. Stinky fire will get you through a cold wet night in the middle of nowhere to live another day. With just a little care you can keep the same fire going for weeks. The fire will also dry out wood to make it easy to start another fire later with matches.

I have a few expired Marine Flares in each car. They are replaced every 4 years on the boat as the expiration date means I have to buy new for the boat. They work even though the date passed a decade ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top