Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 3:47:21 AM EDT
So the snow is near and I have been thinking about shovels mostly ones to place in the back of the vehicles I would like to find one that would work both snow and dirt but I know that is going to be hard to do so unless you have a good snow/dirt shovel I'm going to have to look for a winter and summer shovel.

Both I want to fold up or can be made smaller as I don't have much room in my truck. I was thinking of an e-tool for the summer but each one I have had I have broken from the military metal ones to Gerber e-tool have not tried the Glock one yet. I know with the winter one it's going to have to be bigger since we get a lot of snow around here maybe just best to throw a full size one in the bed of the truck? Like to hear what you all have to say. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:03:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Light Snow - duluth shovel
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Spring, summer, fall.  Cold Steel Spec Ops Shovel.

Winter.  ACTUAL REAL snow shovel.  Specifically one with high sides, narrow blade (2 feet at most, but more like 14 inches is best) and cross grip handle made out of thick wood.

If you gotta crawl around and reach under your truck to dig out snow with your shovel, and then don't get it un-stuck, now you are stuck, AND sweaty and wet and cold.  That's bad juju.

Keep the CS in your truck in winter too.

If you have a small truck, you'll need the weight in back anyway so pile some stuff in it.  Coffee can full of kitty litter, extra scraper, extra anti-freeze windshield washer, lock de-icer, etc.

Are you new to ND?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]
military e-tools are a horrible choice for snow shoveling. in fact they are terrible as shovels in general.

for a car shovel get a square bladed spade with a normal sized handle. it will do everything you need a car shovel to do.

military e-tools are made the way they are because it is the only way to make them small enough and light enough to carry on your back.

something like this perhaps

I have one that I got at a local store. it was < $10. will chip ice and actually scoop up snow. try scooping snow or chipping ice with an e-tool. or digging out the snow under your car with one.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Bully Tools d-handle. Made in USA, tough as nails, reasonably short.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry two in the car.  Metal collapsible snow shovel from REI and a short D handled wooden shafted shovel, probably from Homer Depot (Bronco Brand)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#6]
For your area a serious snow shovel probably is needed.  

For east tn I am just going to be keeping a regular hardware store d handle shovel in the vehicles.  The pickup is an easy packing job, the tj gets one simply because I drive it all the time and wind up helping out relatives when I am over there and I want a good shovel with me all the time.

I have used some of the older folding shovels, grew up with a wooden handled version that had a shovel head on one end and a pick spike that could also be rotated out.  Just too short for vehicle use for me.

One thing I learned messing with ice storms is that a snow shovel won't handle good ice, well the snow shovels I used in ohio for clearing driveways and what not.  Need to break that stuff up and take little bites with a big shovel, or with a dirt shovel you can break it up and it won't take a big bite so it works ok.

This is more for snow and then a sleet/rain that turns the top into something strong enough a 300lb person can walk on top in regular boots and not break through.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a nice aluminum scoop shovel razorback or union are both quality. Ligtweight shorter than a traditional flat/transfer shovel, and you can move a decent amount of material with it. Light soil, snow, and durable enough for gravel if you have the back. Probably one of my favorite landscape tools.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been really impressed with all the Fiskars tools I've bought recently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top