Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/11/2012 3:12:35 PM EST
I need to put a riser on my septic tank. I don't want to dig it up every time I need to check it or service it. I only need a section of pipe or something that's minimum 16" diameter (20"-24" would be better), and 2 feet long, and I can cast a lid of concrete or something. Polylok and Tuf-tite risers and such can get expensive, and home depot/Lowe's etc. don't seem to have something suitable. Any suggestions for a section of pipe or something I can use?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:40:38 PM EST
Tag, mines on the side of a hill. Would love to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:35:29 PM EST
I don't know if this will work for you, but I make some concrete planters before. I used two plastic trash cans (one bigger, one smaller). I put a plastic sheet inside the bigger and wrapped a sheet around the smaller. I put two wraps of chicken wire around and underneath the smaller can around to add some strength. I think it took two bags of concrete. Not super pretty, but pretty cheap. 3 days of curing, pull the inner can, 2 more days, pull the outer (cut it and duct tape back together).

Just an idea, you might be able to adapt.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:43:19 AM EST
Find a contractor that does sewer/drainage work in your area. They likely have a short length of cutoff corrugated or dual-wall corrugated plastic drainage pipe. That is what we use for those purposes. Except my dad does drainage so he has those things laying around.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:09:04 PM EST
Gonna bump this for hopefully some more hits.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:16:38 PM EST
Late to the party as usual, but why don't you build your own pipe out of pressure treated lumber? If you use a 22 1/2 degree bevel and make an octagon pipe you should be able to use 2x12's vertically.

My covers are only down about 10" so I didn't have to go deep like you, but the principle of a wooden pipe will still work.

I made the wooden pipe come a couple inches above grade and planted a flower bed around the pipes. I used mulch in the beds and the couple inches above grade ensures the pipes don't get filled in.

For the covers, I bought some premade wooden circles from Lowes and just laid them on top of the pipes. One of the covers now houses potted plants and the other is for a glass jug filled with food coloring. The wooden circles were not designed for exterior use and do warp a little depending on the seasons, but they still look decent after a few years and they're easier and cheaper than building something out of pressure treated wood.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:34:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By CTRob65:
Late to the party as usual, but why don't you build your own pipe out of pressure treated lumber? If you use a 22 1/2 degree bevel and make an octagon pipe you should be able to use 2x12's vertically.

My covers are only down about 10" so I didn't have to go deep like you, but the principle of a wooden pipe will still work.

I made the wooden pipe come a couple inches above grade and planted a flower bed around the pipes. I used mulch in the beds and the couple inches above grade ensures the pipes don't get filled in.

For the covers, I bought some premade wooden circles from Lowes and just laid them on top of the pipes. One of the covers now houses potted plants and the other is for a glass jug filled with food coloring. The wooden circles were not designed for exterior use and do warp a little depending on the seasons, but they still look decent after a few years and they're easier and cheaper than building something out of pressure treated wood.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44567

Yeah, I thought about that. I have a bunch of "landscape timber" sections that I could fasten together like a barrel, but I figured I'd do it once and use concrete/plastic/fiberglass/plated metal? if I could.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:48:16 PM EST

What's the in carboy?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:19:20 PM EST
I did the same thing a few years back. A local building store had concrete risers with concrete lids. I think it was 24" high and 24" diameter. My tank is buried pretty deep. I used 12" PVC pipe and covers for risers over the baffles. I mixed up a few bags of quikrete to fasten the risers to the top of the tank. I used a wrecker boom to lower the riser into the hole and on top of the tank. If you can't find a riser locally, perhaps you could use a metal fire ring or build one up wwith bricks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:05:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 8:07:15 AM EST by CTRob65]
Originally Posted By Ken914:

What's the in carboy?

carboy??

edit: google was my friend

All it is is water with red food coloring. Green works well also, but we like red more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:46:39 AM EST
They make concrete rings for this purpose, a local concrete products guy makes em. I think i paid 10 bucks a piece. Look like this.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:09:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 1:10:43 PM EST by manowar669]
Originally Posted By scottc1071:
They make concrete rings for this purpose, a local concrete products guy makes em. I think i paid 10 bucks a piece. Look like this.

http://tcpaws.co.nz/images/garden%20ring%20web.jpg

Yeah, I can buy something, but that would add up to about $80. Or i can buy a fiberglass riser and lid for about $150. I'm hoping for a cheaper solution. I might use a cylindrical garbage can as a form for concrete, but I'm still looking for ideas.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:02:03 AM EST
Plastic 55 gallon drum with a clamp or screw on lid? Cut the bottom off so that the lid ends up 2" above grade? Should be able to get one on craigslist for $10-15 or so.

- JP
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:28:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By JP_in_STL:
Plastic 55 gallon drum with a clamp or screw on lid? Cut the bottom off so that the lid ends up 2" above grade? Should be able to get one on craigslist for $10-15 or so.

- JP

Yeah, I've been watching craigslist.
Top Top