Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2010 1:48:40 PM EDT
Ive always wanted a way to carry a long gun and secure it. Thanks to a member here, I got a smoking deal on an 870 police rack, luckily ive got an 870. lol..not sure if it will hold an AR or AK, might require different holder. Anyways, here it is mounted up to my rollbar,

It is mounted up out of the way and still have easy access to the back seat. I didnt want it mounted towards the front cuz it would be in the way of dome light and too close to the front seats and visible.

From the front

From the rear

And here it is all dressed up with my roll bar padding. I call this view, "View from a cops perspective"

I dont plan to keep the 870 down there, only for trips and off road/camping.

I can access it from the drivers side, takes a lil bit of effort but it is possible.

enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I luv the hi lift mount, but its not cheap

http://fourtreks.com/hi_lift_roll_bar_mounts_1_75_.html

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I am very happy to see someone got to put it to good use!!! Thanks for posting pics, glad it works for ya!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it legal to carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle in Florida?

Wish it was here!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Wish it was here!

why not just keep it UNloaded?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]
DieT, off topic, but where do you get the strap/hook things for a hi-lift that hook into the wheels and so you can raise the vehicle from outside the chassis for putting on chains, etc?

Are they recommended?

Nice job on the gun retainer installation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#8]
double-t
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish it was here!

Cause then its just a club!

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wish it was here!

don't know about FL, but here in NV loaded mags in long guns are legal, but chambers must be empty.

i'm guessing it's some kind of anti-poaching regulation as well as an effort to try and mandate safety.

handguns may be loaded.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tell you what old friend.  I think you and Ops are a dead heat on never met anyone so in love with their BOVs.

Congrats on the new addition, looks sharp.  

Now you need to go somewhere that you can use it.

Tj

Hehe..yea, it keeps me busy, something to do.

believe me, if SHTF or TEOTWAWKI and it breaks down or I need to ditch it. Ive got a 3 pak of flares and a 5 gal gas can. it shall not fall into enemy hands.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tell you what old friend.  I think you and Ops are a dead heat on never met anyone so in love with their BOVs.

Congrats on the new addition, looks sharp.  

Now you need to go somewhere that you can use it.

Tj

Arizona border road trip?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#14]
This may not need to be said but everybody needs to make sure that what you are using to mount the gun is solid!  

I recall a news article, and it may have been on here, where a guy had a gun in an overhead rack and he got in an accident and the gun came loose and wacked him in the back of the head killing him.  I don't think they ever said what type of rack was involved or if it was a ceiling mount or a rear window so kinds of a vague warning.  These police racks are a nice way to keep things secure and I have been looking at some of the police surpluss trunk racks for my 2001 Impala!

I keep mine in a case.  If SHTF, then the gun will sit in my lap
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This may not need to be said but everybody needs to make sure that what you are using to mount the gun is solid!  

I recall a news article, and it may have been on here, where a guy had a gun in an overhead rack and he got in an accident and the gun came loose and wacked him in the back of the head killing him.  I don't think they ever said what type of rack was involved or if it was a ceiling mount or a rear window so kinds of a vague warning.  These police racks are a nice way to keep things secure and I have been looking at some of the police surpluss trunk racks for my 2001 Impala!

I guess sometimes guns do actually kill ppl
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
DieT, off topic, but where do you get the strap/hook things for a hi-lift that hook into the wheels and so you can raise the vehicle from outside the chassis for putting on chains, etc?

Are they recommended?

Nice job on the gun retainer installation.

Not sure where to get that. Maybe try 4 wheel parts .com. Ive got decent D rings on the bumper that I use. Ive already tested it out and it works.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

yea, I can understand that with the traditional hunting racks. that is why I decided not to deal with those. I wanted this to be secure. Ill carry the 870 during off roading and camping, etc, I wanted to find a middle ground. A locked firearm but within reach. A case didnt offer this and I didnt want a firearm flopping around inside. Ive got my CCW that will be on me, but for a lil extra ive got the 870. I agree, for SHTF, itll be on my lap. lol.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

UMMMM, NO. there is no way, even with the forces involved in a MVC, that a long gun would have enough momentum to come lose and hit you in the back of the head and kill you. you cant bend the laws of physics.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UMMMM, NO. there is no way, even with the forces involved in a MVC, that a long gun would have enough momentum to come lose and hit you in the back of the head and kill you. you cant bend the laws of physics.

From my own direct personal experience: My great aunt and uncle were in an accident caused by a drunk running a red light.  They broadsided him at city street speeds, 35 or 45, somewhere around there.  An empty toolbox flew out of the back of their mini SUV (from behind the back seats) and struck my great aunt in the back of the head, killing her.  Unfortunately for my great uncle, she did not die instantly.  The drunk broke his arm, big deal.  He was out of the hospital in a few hours, and out of jail in less than 2 years.  A long gun would be heavier than an empty toolbox, but coming from a different angle and might be slowed down by the mount letting go, but I could still see it happening.  I wouldn't be so quick to simply dismiss any possibility of it happening in an accident.  These "laws of physics" that can't be bent killed my great aunt and watching helplessly as she suffered and died destroyed my great uncle's soul.  Mount it right and secure the crap in your car and you're good to go.  I cringe when I see a car with crap everywhere inside and child carseats in back.

Are there LEOs or FF/EMTs that can chime in on this ever-drifting thread?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#20]
These pics are from the Toyota FJ Forum. ..

The rear seats removed and the cargo area converted to add more storage and sleeping capability.

With extension to allow sleeping

Queen size air mattress

Security setup, this is behind the front seats

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried to google it but I couldn't find the story.  It has been a very long time ago and I am even thinking it may have been a PA State Trooper that it happened to.  I am guessing this happened in the 80s or 90s.  I used to have a pickup with a cheap gun rack in the back window back then and I know I converted to using gun cases when the story was reported.  Perhaps someone else can find it or may remember it as it made the headlines back when it happened.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish it was here!

Because it is far better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From my own direct personal experience: My great aunt and uncle were in an accident caused by a drunk running a red light.  They broadsided him at city street speeds, 35 or 45, somewhere around there.  An empty toolbox flew out of the back of their mini SUV (from behind the back seats) and struck my great aunt in the back of the head, killing her.  Unfortunately for my great uncle, she did not die instantly.  The drunk broke his arm, big deal.  He was out of the hospital in a few hours, and out of jail in less than 2 years.  A long gun would be heavier than an empty toolbox, but coming from a different angle and might be slowed down by the mount letting go, but I could still see it happening.  I wouldn't be so quick to simply dismiss any possibility of it happening in an accident.  These "laws of physics" that can't be bent killed my great aunt and watching helplessly as she suffered and died destroyed my great uncle's soul.  Mount it right and secure the crap in your car and you're good to go.  I cringe when I see a car with crap everywhere inside and child carseats in back.

Are there LEOs or FF/EMTs that can chime in on this ever-drifting thread?

i am a FF/medic. a tool box has sharp corners which a gun doesnt also the age of your great aunt could have played a part in it as well as where it actually hit her. also, a long gun is larger than a tool box which means it would probably contact something else in the car before making contact with a passenger. it making contact with anything in the car would dissipate some of if not most of its potential energy. as you said the key to prevent even the possibility of this happening is to make sure everything is secured correctly by it being mounted or by the use of a cargo net or cover or even one of the cargo cages that look like the dividers in LEO's cars.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#24]
For what it worth if anyone is wanting those electric/key operated weapons locks I have a bunch of them for sale in the EE.Mac
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice FJ
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I knew I'd seen those pics before...  CK5  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice job on the mount!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top