Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2009 10:22:06 AM EDT
My GF wants to take me deep sea fishing for my Birthday, but I get motion sickness sometimes.  When I was young and used to fly I felt like crap, no I take a dramamine before flying and I am fine.  The last time I went out deep sea fishing I was about 12 and used the patch and threw up most of the trip. Now 15 years later I am looking at going and worried about spending money and being sick as a dog the whole time.  Should I scratch the trip or try it out and if so what should I take or done to help the sickness?

The boat we are going out on is a 42ft boat with about 12-18 people, if that matters, in Galveston.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
dramamine (sp?) worked good for me but i started doping up on it 2 days prior to the trip.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Dramamine can make you really drowsy. Try Meclizine instead - its less likely to make you as drowsy. Bonine is one brand of Meclizine, or you can ask for cheaper generic Meclizine at the pharmacy counter at Target.

Whichever you choose, do NOT drink alcohol... otherwise, you will get very drowsy very quickly .
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Beer and cucumbers for breakfast.
It doesn't help the motion sickness, but doesn't taste too bad coming back up...
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I think he already fent.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 4:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife takes ginger tablets a few days before.  She said that it works for her.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The key are these. On the way out SLEEP if U can. Do not try to stay up and sit in the cabin of the vessel. Do not stare at the water. These things help me when going out. Watch the horizen , get in the back of the boat since the bow is moving more then the stern. Dont eat huge breakfast before going. Take a crap before your trip if U can.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
In the Navy we'd tell noobs to eat crackers. They help keep the sloshing down in your stomach. And don't watch the horizon. And if somebody puts a weight on a string don't watch it swing back and forth.

We had a Master Chief that would hit his rack as soon as the blew the underway whistle. Dude should've injured himself to get permanent shore duty.

ETA: Ha! Just contradicted the previous post. We always told people not to watch the horizon. ymmv.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In the Navy we'd tell noobs to eat crackers. They help keep the sloshing down in your stomach. And don't watch the horizon. And if somebody puts a weight on a string don't watch it swing back and forth.

We had a Master Chief that would hit his rack as soon as the blew the underway whistle. Dude should've injured himself to get permanent shore duty.

ETA: Ha! Just contradicted the previous post. We always told people not to watch the horizon. ymmv.

I been on alot of ships and small vessels for 30+ years,  when U stare at the water it fucks your head up causing a motion sickness. Try it next time. That is the reason kids get sick in cars they stare  at the trees or the lines next to the car and there eyes look like a radar scanning hahaha. another thin will make me puke if I smell some foods cooking in the galley like peppers and sasauge when sick. OMG HAHAHA
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I get motion sick very easy.  

Dramamine works pretty good but makes me drowsy.  Even the non drowsy formula still does.

The absolute best thing is a prescription sticker that goes behind your ear.  No motion sickness, no drowsiness either.

IIRC there are 4 patches that come in a box.  1 patch last 3 days.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I get motion sick very easy.  

Dramamine works pretty good but makes me drowsy.  Even the non drowsy formula still does.

The absolute best thing is a prescription sticker that goes behind your ear.  No motion sickness, no drowsiness either.

IIRC there are 4 patches that come in a box.  1 patch last 3 days.

The key on the Dramamine is take it the night before the trip.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My wife takes ginger tablets a few days before.  She said that it works for her.

this does work very well
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got back from playa last week for a buddy's wedding.  We only had to go out a mile to start fishing.  A buddy gave me some dramamine and I got sicker than shit!  Take it I got shit canned the night before, but I started yacking 15minutes after I took it.  The water wasn't very rough at all either.  I've been in rougher water on lake travis many times with no issues.  Thats the first time I have ever been sick in a boat and it sucks ass!  4 hours of dry heaving while your buds are taking pic's of you while drinking beer is not fun.  

Another guy on the boat had one of those patches that worked like a charm.  He gets motion sickness when he's in a boat, and he had no issues.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Scopalomine patches are the best thing.  Second best for me is Meclizine - Bonine as someone suggested.  Start taking them the evening before.  Stay above deck.  The problem is caused when your ear tells you you are moving and your eyes tell you you are still.  This usually happens when you are in the cabin or reading or something.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
we went out to Destin this past week and were fine from most of the previous suggestions, stuck in a trough which made it exceptionally scenic.. One buddy was pretty green the entire trip.  He did all the precautionary stuff and still yacked a couple of times, but ya never know. everybody's body chemistry is different.. heat is the great enemy. drink lots and lots and lots of water to keep hydrated, light colors, hats, etc. nothing is worse than being green and dehydrated. makes for a miserable outing.

we were 5 plus a deckhand and it was pretty tight.
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont get motion sickness.  Started out on the ocean fishing when I was about 11 or 12 and just got used to it.  I have been out in some bad weather fishing and never got ill.  However, was flying a pilot trainer down in Dover AFB in the spring a few years ago and the air was rough at pattern altitude(2500 IIRC).  Combine that with a new pilot that was heavy on the rudder and that Herc tossed us around like a rag doll.  Only time I can remember in my life getting motion sickness.
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Land works good for motion sickness.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Green apples.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I found that stillness illness was much worse than motion sickness.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found that stillness illness was much worse than motion sickness.

Yup, used to head to the pub asap for some landsickness fluid.

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#20]
these suggestions are all well and good. But if your gonna be out on open water for a while, don't risk it, go hard or go home. Call up your doc and ask for a script for Scopolamine.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]
The night before I take Dramamine before I go to bed.  Then in the morning I take another dose about an hour before we leave.  This has really worked well for me, but like most others have said it will make you drowsy.  Just drink some energy drinks or something to combat the caffeine.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The night before I take Dramamine before I go to bed.  Then in the morning I take another dose about an hour before we leave.  This has really worked well for me, but like most others have said it will make you drowsy.  Just drink some energy drinks or something to combat the caffeine.

This is exactly what I do, except I take bonine.  It doesn't make me as drowsy.  The one before you go to bed helps me go to sleep easier as well.  No beer the night before, and a decent but light breakfast while leaving the marina.  Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Be sure to keep your stomach full.  Having an empty stomach just makes the liquids in it slosh around badly and that contributes to motion sickness just as bad or worse than anything else.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#24]
The absolute best thing is a prescription sticker that goes behind your ear. No motion sickness, no drowsiness either.
YES!  THIS!  THE PATCH IS THE BEST THERE IS!

I went on a 4-day sailfishing trip last yr. in Guatemala   Seas were awful.  Almost too bad to be out in.  

My doc. gave me some meds for cancer patients to help with nausea.  I made it most of the first day, then got sick as a dog last hour.  (I may have been late taking a dose.)  Buddy gave me a patch that night––I was good to go next 3 days.  Caught 10+ sails, many over 100lbs.  Epic.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#25]
The patch is the only thing that has ever worked for me and I am hyper-sensitive to motion sickness.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Ginger Root works wonders. I have tried everything and ginger root pills have always worked the best.

I had heard about this for years, but not until I saw an episode of Myth Busters, did I believe it and try it. They worked perfectly.

Seasickness: Kill or Cure

The MythBusters tested various seasickness cures. They wanted to see if any non-pharmaceutical, no-side-effect remedy would work.

Motion sickness is caused by your brain being unable to process conflicting signals from your sense: your eyes tell you that your surroundings are still, but your inner ear and your fine muscle controls are telling you that things are moving.

Test setup

They built a chair modeled after NASA's seasick chair. The chair spun around at 7 rpm while the person in the chair was ordered to move their head to touch tennis balls positioned in front, behind, and to the sides.

Finding the test subject

They had to figure out who in the MythBusters crew was susceptible to seasickness. Adam was a sure bet because of previous seasickness during the Jaws Special. Sure enough, Adam got quesy within 3 and half minutes on the chair. After a half an hour in the chair, Jamie was still fine. Kari and Tory were both fine as well. Grant became the final test subject. He lasted longer than Adam, but he got sick as well.

Remedy Testing
•Homoepathic tongue tingler. They used a unnamed spray that you squirt under the tongue as often as needed. Grant was sick within 10 minutes and vomited some small chunks. Adam was sick within 4 minutes.
•Wrist straps:They wore little gray wristbands that are 'Barry Manilow's choice.' Adam was sick within 90 seconds. Grant got sick as well. They've gotten pretty quick with bringing a bucket to Grant.
•*Ginger pills: It worked! Adam and Grant were both fine.
•Small shocks on the P6 Accupunture point (on the wrist): Both Adam and Grant got sick.
•Placebo: They told Grant and Adam they were getting an over-the-counter pharmaceutical remedy, but they actually gave them vitamins. Adam's reponse: "I hate this [bleeping] chair" after three and a half minutes. Grant: "This is among the most effective, if not the most effective."
•Over-the-counter pharmaceutical drug: Worked on Adam and Grant, but it made them both a little loopy.

Only thing that worked without any side effects was the ginger pill.

Ginger pills: plausible
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Bonine.

One the night before and one at least an hour before getting on the boat. No drowsiness for me at all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#28]
My Son got sick the first time I had hime out on Erie, that lake is fairly shallow in spots and can kick up in a hurry, Since then we have used the method of getting a Dramamine in him the day before, one again before we get on the boat plus the patch, he hasnt been sick since and has been in some rough water.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I believe dramamine is the only way to go.  After 11 years sailing the 7 seas, that is what those none sailors take!  
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I go ocean fishing often.  I have used every motion sickness medication discussed in this thread.  

The best is the Scopalomine patch that is placed behind your ear.  It's a prescribed item so talk to your Dr.

I have been out in the ocean when it was storming and even the deckhands/crew were seasick!  lol

Link Posted: 8/4/2012 1:13:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Bonine.

One the night before and one at least an hour before getting on the boat. No drowsiness for me at all.

works for me as well.

I took my 17' CC near shore in 3-5' seas to fish, pretty rough stuff, no motion sickness at all.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top