Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2009 6:53:31 AM EDT
After a failed attempt to summit Mt Washington last week, I am thinking of getting some mountaineering boots so I can continue to train.

I was using rented Scarpa Inverno boots during that trip.  The boots (UK size 9, I wear a 8.5D US) fit rather well, with a little movement in the heel and foot area.  I suppose the fit could have been a bit tighter, but I can clear that up with thicker socks (I was using a Coolmax liner sock and a Columbia Smartwool outer sock).  The only discomfort during the trip was on the shin, where I developed a blister due to the stiff nature of the plastic boot.  Better technique will hopefully solve that problem.

Overall I'd say I had a positive experience with the Inverno, save one thing ... those suckers are heavy (5 lbs +).  As such, I am looking at the Inverno's lighter cousin, the Omega, which happens to be 20% off from EMS.  They have them in both UK size 9 and 9.5, so I should be able to find one that fits.

Unfortunately there are no stores in my area that carry mountaineering boots in-stock for me to wear at the store.  Thus, I am stuck with mail order.  

Any opinions are appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used the Omega boots.  from what I have read they aren't quite as warm as the Inverno.  If that isn't a problem I would guess that they would be a good boot for you.  I have tried but never owned Inverno boots.   they are heavy but so are my Asolo Expedition Boots.  If I was buying new right now they would probably be Scarpa Inverno.  The problem was earlier this winter when I thought about getting them my dealer was out of my US size 11.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Koflach arctis expedition..  I thought the scarpa were a little narrow, i liked how the Koflach were flexible, but still stiff, and they are warm as hell
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:55:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Koflach arctis expedition..  I thought the scarpa were a little narrow, i liked how the Koflach were flexible, but still stiff, and they are warm as hell

they would have been my first choice but they aren't being imported any more and most suppliers have very limited supplies and sizes.   my feet are wide.  Asolo boots are usually too narrow to work for me.  the plastic expedition boots run wider than most Asolo.  the only drawback with them is that they are very stiff and heavy.  If you can find the Koflach they are an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you ice climbing? Otherwise, there are solutions lighter than an inverno class boot i think... Invernos are heavy. I mean it's Mt. Washington, not Denali. There's a road to the top!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Last time I climbed Mt washington in January a few years ago I had La sportiva nepal extremes. Keep moving and your toes stay warm. I now also have a pair of Vasque ice 9000 (orange ones) and they are toasty for winter and I hope to use them on Denali
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are you ice climbing?

During that trip, yes I was.  Did some small climbs (no more than 50' or so) near Cathedral Ledge (?) that weekend.

In the future, I don't think I'll be doing a lot of ice climbing.  Mostly general mountaineering in snowy weather.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top