Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2017 11:12:52 PM EDT
Wondering if there are any cheap basic scanners out there that can scan and record audio to an SD card. I saw the whistlers can but I dont need the digital capability (or price).
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]
don't think so...Home Patrol would be bottom of that list...

you need a cheap digital recorder a cheap scanner with a cable between and a rubber band holding together
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
An RTL-SDR and a laptop could be an option.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An RTL-SDR and a laptop could be an option.
View Quote
Yep would work well.   Might be a learning curve but would be light years ahead of a scanner..

Prosise
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Loop Recorder is PC software ( http://www.looprecorder.de )  It is $29.95 to register the standard version. The $250 pro version has auto-archiving built in (as well as other features like auto-vox), but a VBS script (sample available on-line) can make the standard version accomplish the same thing via a repeated launch of an instance with a set recording span followed by close + autosave. This lets you have it produce uniquely named files of a specified duration for as long as the script is running.  

It can also be set to record from internet based audio sources (pretty much recording what ever you can send to PC speakers).

I run an open ended instance of the standard version while operating, it uses the TS-590S usb audio as input & provides a constant 30 minute loop I can review as wanted (via the internal editor) without interfering with the recording process.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Nick that is something worth looking into.

For those that suggested an SDR I too think they are great but this is for fairly close by systems that overload the front ends of an RTL. I use the freq scanner and recorder on SDR# with great success but I won't be able to monitor or set this system up. The guy who is asking is a more set it and forget it type.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nick that is something worth looking into.

For those that suggested an SDR I too think they are great but this is for fairly close by systems that overload the front ends of an RTL. I use the freq scanner and recorder on SDR# with great success but I won't be able to monitor or set this system up. The guy who is asking is a more set it and forget it type.
View Quote
40 Db Attenuator

ETA: Didn't see that it was for someone else. What kind of system is it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
It's for an old guy who has road work going on across the road. Old timer with too much time on his hands. From what I've seen they are using gmrs/frs and murs radios. He just likes listening to them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Gotcha. I guess that really does eliminate the SDR.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Most smartphones have a voice recording feature and just about everyone has a smartphone these days. Micro SD cards are very cheap too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top