Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/4/2013 6:37:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 7:47:15 PM EST by Gyprat]
My new FTDX3000D arrived today.
Very nice packaging and kind of heavy (34 lbs). This thing is built like a tank. Very solid.
20 meters is dead. I'm listening on 40 meters and so far I'm very impressed. It's got a tight receiver with great DSP. 40 meters SSB sounds like 2m FM with DSP engaged. CW receive is very impressive so far. I have not even started customizing settings yet. Will post more later.
Here are a few pics made with my dumb phone. Sorry about poor quality.

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:53:04 PM EST
Ohh, shiney!

Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:55:21 PM EST
NICE!!!!!

Congrats!
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:56:32 PM EST
Beautiful! Looking forward to hearing more about it after you have had some time to play with it!

Let me guess, calling in sick tomorrow?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:15:32 PM EST
Purdy

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:53:35 PM EST

I like it!

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:56:00 PM EST
That looks real nice
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:21:41 PM EST

nice rig
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 11:59:44 PM EST
That's Awesome!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:10:12 AM EST
I noticed you have a MK5 Field in your shack which is a dream rig of mine. How do you deal with the difference in build quality between the two rigs? I went to HRO a week ago and found the buttons and knobs on the 3000 to not be what we've had from Yaesu in the past. The clarifier knob especially.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:40:53 AM EST
cool! now where is Uhura? that display looks pretty Trekkie...
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:21:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/5/2013 5:37:33 AM EST by Gyprat]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MaineAR:
I noticed you have a MK5 Field in your shack which is a dream rig of mine. How do you deal with the difference in build quality between the two rigs? I went to HRO a week ago and found the buttons and knobs on the 3000 to not be what we've had from Yaesu in the past. The clarifier knob especially.
View Quote

I found ft3k build quality to be very good but not as good as the MK5. Icoms and Kenwoods were even worse unless you get into $7,000+ price category. Other brands don't even come close.
I love my FT1000 and will never get rid of it. I always said it was the best rig for the money if you don't mind it being older and out of production. I have an INRAD Roofing filter installed and it made a huge difference during contests. It also reduced noise level to make it even more attractive. Get one if you can. You will love it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:31:22 AM EST
Who was lucky enough to be your first contact on the new rig?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:36:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kekoa:
Who was lucky enough to be your first contact on the new rig?
View Quote

I have not transmitted yet.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:52:35 AM EST
Very nice!

I'm sure you will enjoy the heck out of that rig.

HS
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:57:11 AM EST

Excellent, I am learning my way around the FTDX-1200, which has been very new to me coming from a long history of using Kenwoods and an occasional Icom. 73, Rob
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:01:30 AM EST
Nice
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:49:33 AM EST
Look at all those knobs! That's really impressive, Gyprat. I like that a lot!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:45:57 PM EST
Been listening to 160M CW contest. My 80m antenna is obviously too small to transmit on 160 but it brings 59 +20 signals on the receiver.
This rig can dig weak CW signals out of mud while being right next to a strong station. APF filter does an amazing job .I'm very impressed. I don't think it even needs an optional 300Hz CW roofing filter. 600HZ roofing filter along with advanced DSP is doing a fantastic job.
I was a bit skeptical about radios with a "fish finder". I've owned an ICOM 756 Pro3 and did not like it's menu structure but this radio is very easy to navigate. Working split can't be any easier. Many features are similar to previous Yaesu radios which I liked a lot.
So far I don't like where they positioned the MODE button. You have to push it multiple times to scroll through the available modes. It's a minor inconvenience though.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:35:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gyprat:
Been listening to 160M CW contest. My 80m antenna is obviously too small to transmit on 160 but it brings 59 +20 signals on the receiver.
This rig can dig weak CW signals out of mud while being right next to a strong station. APF filter does an amazing job .I'm very impressed. I don't think it even needs an optional 300Hz CW roofing filter. 600HZ roofing filter along with advanced DSP is doing a fantastic job.
I was a bit skeptical about radios with a "fish finder". I've owned an ICOM 756 Pro3 and did not like it's menu structure but this radio is very easy to navigate. Working split can't be any easier. Many features are similar to previous Yaesu radios which I liked a lot.
So far I don't like where they positioned the MODE button. You have to push it multiple times to scroll through the available modes. It's a minor inconvenience though.

View Quote

Does HRD work with your radio? Maybe that would be a way around the buttons and quirks?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:36:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:40:41 PM EST
Nom nom nom nom nom!

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:47:57 PM EST
Wealth

he haz it
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:31:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By mancow:
Wealth

he haz it
View Quote

LOL
It's just another toy.

This is wealth:
Link

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:47:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

Does HRD work with your radio? Maybe that would be a way around the buttons and quirks?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It should. I did not get that far yet. The radio has a USB port too. I'm also thinking of adding a hi-res third party spectrum band scope since the radio has an IF OUT jack. It should be relatively easy with the down conversion architecture.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:01:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/8/2013 3:01:49 AM EST by K9-Bob]

It should. I did not get that far yet. The radio has a USB port too. I'm also thinking of adding a hi-res third party spectrum band scope since the radio has an IF OUT jack. It should be relatively easy with the down conversion architecture.
View All Quotes

I imgagine the paid version or HRD would work for rig control. I bet the HRD the software would beat using radio the menus.

I have seen where guys have been using a version of PowerSDR with the Yaesu, but I don't know if you would need any additional hardware to make it work. I suppose a real test of your rig would be in a contest or trying to work a DX pileup.

If it were me, I would still spring for the 300hz roofing filter.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:46:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:03:15 AM EST

Hi All, Re: HRD, I have used the FTDX 5000 setup with my FTDX 1200. There are lots of second receiver things etc. that are greyed out, but the working sliders work very well. I would certainly try it before buying anything else. HTH 73, Rob
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:48:29 AM EST

LOL
It's just another toy.

This is wealth:
Link
http://files.qrz.com/x/oh8x/arkala_1_compressed_2.JPG
View All Quotes
Wealth

he haz it

LOL
It's just another toy.

This is wealth:
Link

No, that's what happens when you give hams too much money.

Holy frikking Yagi
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:00:40 AM EST

LOL
It's just another toy.

This is wealth:
Link
View All Quotes
Wealth

he haz it

LOL
It's just another toy.

This is wealth:
Link

I would appreciate it if you would stop posting pictures of my antenna farm.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:47:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/8/2013 9:48:22 AM EST by Gamma762]
Originally Posted By BlammO:
Nom nom nom nom nom!

http://papyrus.greenville.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/cookie-monster.jpg
View Quote

This. You must have been a really good boy this year

OP, you did give Santa directions to my house, right?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:12:28 PM EST
Damn... I love this radio. I'm addicted.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:39:50 PM EST
View Quote

What makes you love this radio?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:31:05 AM EST

LOL
It's just another toy.

This is wealth:
Link
View All Quotes
Wealth

he haz it

LOL
It's just another toy.

This is wealth:
Link

The giant 80/160M array has fallen down in a storm!

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?416222-OH8X-100M-high-tower-collapsed-during-tropical-storm-Oscar
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:18:39 AM EST
That is a good looking radio, Yaesu makes nice radios. (I also had a IC-756 Pro and liked the FT-1000MP Field better.)

I currently have bane using the FlexRadio SDR rigs but that Yaesu you have sure could sway me back to Radios with Knobs.

Off to start collecting pennies

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:37:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 11:39:26 AM EST by Gyprat]

View All Quotes

It has an excellent receiver and great features. It's very quiet and can dig weak signals out of "mud" while being right next to a very strong station. I'm very impressed with CW performance.The ergonomics is much better than I expected. It's a keeper. I'll probably order an optional 300Hz filter and a voice recorder.
I'm set with HF radios. The only radio I would add to my shack would be an old FT-101 or a TS-520 because I like tube radios.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:22:21 AM EST
Here's mine.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:03:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/14/2013 10:13:09 AM EST by Gyprat]
Yea buddy!
What earphones are you using? It almost looks like DC Clark. I use Heil ProSet but they are not my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:21:25 AM EST
Yea buddy!
What earphones are you using? It almost looks like DC Clark. I use Heil ProSet but they are not my favorite.
View Quote

Bose QC-15s are where it's at. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:09:55 AM EST
Yea buddy!
View Quote

They look like Koss Pro 4aaa. I had a set, many years ago.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:28:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/14/2013 11:29:44 AM EST by Elijah1]
I am telling you guys noise canceling headphones are where its at. Especially if you run an amp.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:09:58 PM EST
Nice Ra-didio.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:23:24 PM EST
Yea buddy!
View Quote

Yep, Koss 4AAAA ! Really nice, of course with the constant ringing in my left ear from buddy's 10 inch AR I need all the help I can get. One thing about the Yaesu is it is nice and quiet and I can really tune out a lot of the crap compared to the Kenwood.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:01:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By Elijah1:
I am telling you guys noise canceling headphones are where its at. Especially if you run an amp.
View Quote

Are you running a 20kW amp with a 2 stage turbo fan? Why noise cancelling headphones? Do you use a noise gate for the microphone as well?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:11:37 PM EST

Are you running a 20kW amp with a 2 stage turbo fan? Why noise cancelling headphones? Do you use a noise gate for the microphone as well?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Elijah1:

The fan to both my old Alpha and my SB-200 are kinda loud. When the DXing gets serious, I want to hear nothing but what my radio is putting out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:46:39 PM EST
I don't use headphones often enough to justify $250 purchase. I've been seriously thinking of getting a hi-fi center channel speaker made by Klipsch, model RC-62.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:56:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By oldjack:
Here's mine.
http://www.gun-one.com/hftrans2.jpg
View Quote

Damn that is one sexy radio. I'm jelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvqpLaWdz6o
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:17:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2013 2:17:57 AM EST by Elijah1]
I don't use headphones often enough to justify $250 purchase. I've been seriously thinking of getting a hi-fi center channel speaker made by Klipsch, model RC-62.

http://images.klipsch.com/RC-62-Black-FrontII_635043090724440000_medium.jpg
View Quote

For casual listening, I am using a spare set of bookshelf speakers with the tweeter removed. Running it through a garage sale preamp and amp. It really sounds great. Modern rigs really have good sounding audio.
Top Top