Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 3/24/2009 10:27:54 AM EDT
I will be traveling on vaction with my family shotly and was looking for your opinions on what to "Bring along" as to sidearms: I will be driving and the states I will be traveling through all have reciprocity with my CCW permit:

Choices to Carry:

Glock 30
Glock 34 and Glock 26
Sp101 Gemini Custom .357 and S&W model 642
Bersa Thunder .380 as a back up to the Glock 30

I will carry my primary on me in an OWB holster and back up in a Maxpedition Versa Pack Jumbo. The climate I will be in should be in the mid to upper 70-'ds

I practice will all of the above on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:49:06 AM EDT
...all of them?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:56:01 AM EDT
I vacation with about 8 handguns and 8-10 long guns.... of course I go to a cabin in the boonies so its a little different.

Really tho, why is it such a big decision? Carry whats most easily concealed with your dress for the trip, and carry a larger version in the same caliber so you donthave to carry multiple types of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 11:07:02 AM EDT
I'm planning on taking a trip in May myself. I will carry my G19 and I might take my AR since I'm going to visit my parents and they have land to shoot on.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:29:19 PM EDT
I travel as a Sales Rep for a living. Have done so for 30 years. I travel 8 Western States. In all my years of traveling I have never been in a situation in which I have needed to be armed. However, I am never without a weapon. Generally I carry a .45. I also at times will carry a 12 ga or my AR. Traveling in a vehicle your best bet is a pistol. You have it on you, or under your seat, or between the front seats for easy access. If you feel you need more then that, carry a shotgun or an AR. If your wife is able, have her carry a pistol as well.

Your traveling with your family. Your going to be more defensive then offensive. Listen to your gut and what it tells you, stay away/out of areas that you do not feel comfortable in. Stay in good well known motels, on the better side of town. Always watch your mirrors, and where you stop for fuel. Just pay attention to your surroundings. Keep your cell phone on you at all times. When you stop at rest stops, pay attention to who is around you, if you do not feel safe or have a bad feeling move on no matter how bad you have to go. Do not leave car unattended. Do not allow your kids to enter the restroom with out you or your wife with them. This also applies to your wife, watch as she enters, and pay attention to the time she is in there. Better yet, follow her to the door and check it out, or stand out side while she opens the door to check it out. This however will win you extra points for life, if you need a restroom break stop at the big chain motels and use theirs at the restaurant or lobby. You wife will love you for that one as they are much cleaner & safer.

The main thing with your weapon is carry the one you feel the most familiar and comfortable with.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:37:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Poltax:

The main thing with your weapon is carry the one you feel the most familiar and comfortable with.

+ bug and a spare in case of malfunction, stolen, lost, etc. Two is one, one is none
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:52:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Daisycutter123:
Originally Posted By Poltax:

+ bug and a spare in case of malfunction, stolen, lost, etc. Two is one, one is none

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:30:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 1:33:52 PM EDT by xd675]
I travel more than the average person these days. I really couldnt carry 4+ handguns, ammo in different calibers, with different mags etc.without exceeding the weight limit for ammo and total weight quickly for airlines. What I ended up with was the XD-9 Service and an XD-9 Subcompact, they fit my requirements better than anything else on the market at the time. 9mm is the lightest ammo I feel that still offers sufficient power for defense applications. Both pistols will operate on the same standard length mag, those mags go in the mag holders (4) tossed in the case with a 50 round box of 124gr+p gold dots. In a pinch can share my C-TAC holster, but I usually go with my C-TAC and a galco leather OWB holster for working out or lounging around. The case holds cleaning rods, other cleaning gear and a small bottle of CLP. Pretty much anything to operate and maintain those weapons are in the case, including a TLR1 weaponlight. Pretty light weight considering Im hauling nearly 100 rounds of 9mm, and very compact. My carry on is my defanged BOB.

this is the case I secure my pistols when Im flying. The case is double locked and would be pretty difficult to pry open to access anything on the top layer–– which is empty the way I load it, they would need to tear through the 2" foam pad to get to my pistols. This case is then tossed into a nondescript black travel bag that can carry up to two weeks of supplies, and locked with a TSA approved lock per their requirements. My cell phone number is permanently marked on the exterior of the Storm case just in case the need to get a hold of me.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:59:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By xd675:
I travel more than the average person these days. I really couldnt carry 4+ handguns, ammo in different calibers, with different mags etc.without exceeding the weight limit for ammo and total weight quickly for airlines. What I ended up with was the XD-9 Service and an XD-9 Subcompact, they fit my requirements better than anything else on the market at the time. 9mm is the lightest ammo I feel that still offers sufficient power for defense applications. Both pistols will operate on the same standard length mag, those mags go in the mag holders (4) tossed in the case with a 50 round box of 124gr+p gold dots. In a pinch can share my C-TAC holster, but I usually go with my C-TAC and a galco leather OWB holster for working out or lounging around. The case holds cleaning rods, other cleaning gear and a small bottle of CLP. Pretty much anything to operate and maintain those weapons are in the case, including a TLR1 weaponlight. Pretty light weight considering Im hauling nearly 100 rounds of 9mm, and very compact. My carry on is my defanged BOB.

this is the case I secure my pistols when Im flying. The case is double locked and would be pretty difficult to pry open to access anything on the top layer–– which is empty the way I load it, they would need to tear through the 2" foam pad to get to my pistols. This case is then tossed into a nondescript black travel bag that can carry up to two weeks of supplies, and locked with a TSA approved lock per their requirements. My cell phone number is permanently marked on the exterior of the Storm case just in case the need to get a hold of me.

Hope that helps.

Nice travel package, smart setup w/ the service and the compact.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:31:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 2:32:39 PM EDT by ireload]
My question to you MS329 with the choices you have listed are your family members familiar with all of them as far as loading and shooting them? If that is the case then I am partial to the Ruger SP101 and SW 642.

I brought my Beretta 92fs and Beretta 21A for our family trip a year ago.
Top Top