Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/29/2012 3:22:06 AM EDT
Which basic setup works best for BOV?

I know there are lots of variables; this is a broad question.

Let's say 4 people.

SUV offers less space, but potentially more secure; also, I find storing extra fuel inside the passenger cabin to be problematic.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:43:39 AM EDT
[#1]
If you do not need a 3rd row of seat my vote would be for a crew cab pickup. Fuel cans are not in the passenger compartment and a dead deer isn't either.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Pickup.

You can always add a topper and enclose the bed.  For the most part, you can't "un-enclose" a SUV.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Crew cab truck was my choice.  Lots of interior and exterior room for storage.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Just switched from a '07 Ford Explorer to a new crew cab Z71 Silverado.  I'm liking the crew cab a lot.  Getting some pull-out tool boxes for the bed and a cover.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#5]
My '10 Ford crew cab has a remarkable amount of space in the rear seating area and the seats fold up/down easily.  Still leaves a 5.5 ft. bed to haul stuff, and as said above, you can always put a shell on it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Let's say 4 people.

SUV offers less space, but potentially more secure; also, I find storing extra fuel inside the passenger cabin to be problematic.

Thanks!

You need to come out of the closet and define 4 people

You and 3 work buddies going to lunch on Tuesday is a very different ride than you, wife, and kids ages 4 and 1.

You should use google search to search my screen name ... have a look at how many threads I have authored with pictures about a pickup and a Suburban.

Now here are some general observations.

Pickups:

Never going to have a 3rd row seat ... If you cannot see that I don't know how you found the internet.

Your luggage will ride "outside" in the bed of the pickup, and this is traumatic to people that have never had a pickup before.

You can stack some tall items up or let some long items poke out the back of a pickup.

SUV

Many SUVs have 3 row seating available

Luggage rides inside locked and dry

The roof limits just how high you get to stack stuff inside a SUV

No matter what vehicle you get there will be someone on the board that is happy and someone else that is pissed.  If you want to know what all the cool prepers have then there isn't just one ideal BOV.

Geohans you really do need to provide better information about what type of driving you do and the type of people you haul, if you want answers that are above the 3rd grade reading level.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I want to see how you guys are hauling 4 people legally seat belted while at the same time folding the back seat of your crew cab pickups for that awesome storage.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Either would work well and OP mentioned some of the key pros and cons of the SUV - lockable, but wouldn't want to carry fuel inside.  If you need the lockable storage, it's easy to add a locking bed cover to the truck.  

I have both an SUV (Diesel Excursion 4wd) and a crew cab truck (GMC 3/4 ton 4 wd).  The Excursion gets better gas mileage than the truck, seats 7 and has some inside storage behind the last row of seats, about 2.5'-3' worth.  For fuel, I have a small trailer I plan to hook to it if we have time to pack for the bug out.  The Ex can tow more than truck, so if we needed to get a big trailer loaded we could.  We planned to use the Excursion as a BOV anyway, but w/ our 4th child just two months away, now we really don't have a choice.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Crew cab pickup, cab for passengers and a *cargo module* for your bug out supplies. Think truck camper, enclosed and as secure as under a cap or in an SUV, but removable as a single unit for normal times or at the bug out destination. Like a truck camper, a cargo module can also far exceed the width and height of the cargo area of an SUV or a pickup cap. A set of truck camper jacks, a welded frame and some plywood/metal/fiberglass to sheath the module. Since it can be loaded and unloaded as a unit it can have a lot fixed in place and ready to use. Done properly it can look like a large utility body add on.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Pickup.

You can always add a topper and enclose the bed.  For the most part, you can't "un-enclose" a SUV.

This.

Also, there are a variety of cab options available. I personally don't care for the bigger crew cabs because you either have to sacrifice on bed length (4 ft beds won't work for me) or you end up with an awkwardly long truck that may or may not have a horrible turning radius

I like the "Medium" crew cab styles where you have a back seat, but it's not huge; just good enough that you can store your tools under the seat and still carry some extra passengers if you need to

Speed

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got both a PU and a SUV!    But truth is neither is going to be used as a BOV, since almost nobody (me included) is going to leave their homes and their "stuff" to drive off into the unfriendly unknown.  So just get whatever you need for every day use, and forget the misguided BOV mistique.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want to see how you guys are hauling 4 people legally seat belted while at the same time folding the back seat of your crew cab pickups for that awesome storage.

Around here it is still legal for people to ride in the bed of the truck. That leaves more room up front for me and the dog.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is with a full size toolbox behind the fourwheeler.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are you a moron for real?

I can and have hauled 6 people legally belted in my extra cab pickup while still having an entire 8 foot cargo bed of awesome storage.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#15]
We sold the Excursion and bought a 97 F350 Crew Cab 4x4. I want to pick up a bed cap at some point, but other than a huge drop in MPG (6.0L PS > 460 EFI in that department), we love it.

No more folding down all the seats in the Excursion to haul hay, wood, etc.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Having had extensive ownership experience with both a GMC Suburban K2500 and a Dodge Ram Club Cab 2500, my vote goes to the extended cab or crew cab pickup.

I am also currently using a newer Chevrolet K2500 Suburban as my company vehicle at work. With the 3rd row seat installed, the cargo space is often inadequate for our needs.

The only real virtues of the SUV are the ability to seat more than 5-6 people in a legally appropriate manner and cargo space that is enclosed and secure (but limited). Otherwise, the SUV is limited in the size and amount of cargo it is able to transport.

An extended cab pickup can seat up to 6 people in the interior. In a true crisis more passengers can ride in the bed. In terms of cargo carrying ability, the pickup is just flat out far more capable and versatile. With an open bed you can transport oversize items (equipment, appliances or palletized material) bulk commodities (gravel, rock, soi, feed) or material that would less desireable to have in an enclosed space with passengers (fuel, lubricants, waste, etc).  Put a canopy on the bed and you now have cargo space every bit as enclosed and secure as a SUV but more expansive. The bed is a superior asset. It's a win-win situation.

If you don't need the additional interior passenger seating of a SUV, the pickup is the better way to go, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I vote for the ext-cab pickup for all of the reasons stated above. I love my F150, but I also must admit that my son's Ridgeline is one helluva nice rig - as long as you dont intend to do much serious offroading. We've had it on some pretty rugged trails that you wouldnt take a 2wd vehicle, but rockclimbing and mudding it just wouldnt be good for.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#18]
You fail at reading comprehension

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can and have hauled 6 people legally belted in my extra cab pickup while still having an entire 8 foot cargo bed of awesome storage.

In TX your pickup could legally haul 6 belted if you have 2 bench seats

OR

You could fold the back seat and have some awesome cargo space behind the front seat

Folding the back seat would limit you to hauling 3 people.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

You could fold the back seat and have some awesome cargo space behind the front seat

Why fold the seat when you have a bed?
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I guess some folks have never thought of the tool box in the bed as useful storage.

Also, I routinely add a second tool chest or locker as needed.

I put many miles on Suburbans and I like them, but I've never tried to haul plywood etc. in one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#21]
oops

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OR

Posted: Today 6:22:06 AM CDT

Quoted:

Let's say 4 people.

SUV
offers less space, but potentially more secure; also, I find storing
extra fuel inside the passenger cabin to be problematic.

Thanks!

Posted: Today 7:57:45 AM CDT

Quoted:

Posted: Today 8:33:44 AM CDT

Quoted:

My '10 Ford crew cab has a remarkable amount of space in the rear
seating area and the seats fold up/down easily.  Still leaves a 5.5 ft.
bed to haul stuff, and as said above, you can always put a shell on it.

Posted: Today 8:46:17 AM CDT

Quoted:

I want to see how you guys are hauling 4 people legally seat belted
while at the same time folding the back seat of your crew cab pickups
for that awesome storage.

I don't see how I can explain it more clearly if you don't read the thread

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had both as a daily driver and I find the SUV to be closer to what I need in a vehicle
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

Quoted:

Let's say 4 people.

Thanks!

Quoted:

Quoted:
My '10 Ford crew cab has a remarkable amount of space in the rear seating area and the seats fold up/down easily.  Still leaves a 5.5 ft. bed to haul stuff, and as said above, you can always put a shell on it.

Quoted:

Shit goes under the seat and in the bed.... 5 can sit in my truck... I don't get your fasination with the folding of seats...
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#25]
As a person that drives a full size SUV (K5 Blazer). I gotta go with Crew Cab with short box.

Like mentioned, you can add a topper and its nice to put dirty, wet, smelly stuff in the back and not be effected by it in the cab. Also safer for carrying gas around.

Also, I do have my whole interior Line X'd so Im the expection to the rule, still dont want to deal with mucked up stuff inside.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

I read and comprehend just fine, thank you very much.

Nowhere in this thread has it been claimed that an extended or crew cab pickup can seat more than 3 AND still have a lot of interior cargo space. You are purposely reading that into what actually has been posted so as to propogate your argument.  

But since we are there now, yes, folding the back seat in an extended or crew cab pickup would limit you to 2 or 3 passengers. Similarly, removing the 3rd row seating and folding the second row seating in a SUV would limit you to 2 or 3 passengers as well but you would still have less overall cargo space than a pickup. So what exactly was your point again?

The pickup always wins in overall cargo space.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OR

Quoted:

Let's say 4 people.

Thanks!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit goes under the seat and in the bed.... 5 can sit in my truck... I don't get your fasination with the folding of seats...

OP stated in his thread on XTerra that he has never had a vehicle like a SUV before.

OP stated in his thread on XTerra 4 or 5 people.

OP stated in this thread 4 people

palmetto stated in this thread lots of storage in a crew cab when the back seat is folded

In TX folks gotta be belted.  OP has not said whether his 4 people are all adults or if there are some children in car seats.  

If you are gonna haul 4 people Legally in TX in your pickup then the back seat must be used for people.  So what palmetto said about folding the seat becomes kinda funny.

If you need to instal car seats in the back seat, then what palmetto said about becomes even more funny.

If you would go back and read the thread, read each post, read each post in order ... maybe then you would see why I laughed

I hope this helps

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I vote for a CCPU, with a camper shell.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#29]
get both, chevy Avalanche
seating for 5 legally, with dry lockable outside storage in the bed and with the two large lockable side boxes.
cover can be removed in sections for taller cargo and still leave part of the box covered.
need to haul some 16ft 2x12's? fold down the midgate and have nearly 10 feet of bed space with the tailgate down.
more people space or more cargo space depending on the changing situation

oh, and good off road with a factory 4link suspension
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

Quoted:

Let's say 4 people.

Thanks!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OP stated in his thread on XTerra that he has never had a vehicle like a SUV before.

palmetto stated in this thread lots of storage in a crew cab when the back seat is folded

In TX folks gotta be belted.  OP has not said whether his 4 people are all adults or if there are some children in car seats.  

If you are gonna haul 4 people Legally in TX in your pickup then the back seat must be used for people.  So what palmetto said about folding the seat becomes kinda funny.

If you need to instal car seats in the back seat, then what palmetto said about becomes even more funny.

If you would go back and read the thread, read each post, read each post in order ... maybe then you would see why I laughed

I hope this helps

Picking nits.

Regardless of whether the seats are folded or not, a pickup still has more inherent cargo carrying capacity. It's beyond me why this is even being argued.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I wanted a base crew cab F150 or F250.

Wife wanted a 4x4 Chevrolet Tahoe LT with every option.

We compromised and got the 4x4 Tahoe.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's say 4 people.

Thanks!

You and 3 work buddies going to lunch on Tuesday is a very different ride than you, wife, and kids ages 4 and 1.

You should use google search to search my screen name ... have a look at how many threads I have authored with pictures about a pickup and a Suburban.

Pickups:
Never going to have a 3rd row seat ... If you cannot see that I don't know how you found the internet.
Your luggage will ride "outside" in the bed of the pickup, and this is traumatic to people that have never had a pickup before.
You can stack some tall items up or let some long items poke out the back of a pickup.

SUV

No matter what vehicle you get there will be someone on the board that is happy and someone else that is pissed.  If you want to know what all the cool prepers have then there isn't just one ideal BOV.

Geohans you really do need to provide better information about what type of driving you do and the type of people you haul, if you want answers that are above the 3rd grade reading level.

Wife and two kids; bugging out.  I wouldn't normally ask for advice on a commuting vehicle on this particular forum.

I don't know where to store extra fuel in an SUV:  on the roof?

Not sure where you got the idea I was looking for the coolest solution, or even for consensus.  It would be most helpful to read the reasons people chose what they chose, and how it's working out for them.  Then I can figure out which situations most suit mine.  Altho I've been here for almost 12 years, this is my first venture into vehicle questions.  Thanks to all those who have explained their choices.

ETA There is the possibility of five people, but many of the crew cabs I've looked at could hold three in the back seat if necessary.  Also, to the guy who "compromised" with his wife and got what she wanted–– I'm not far from this situation myself.  I would be concentrating on crew cab pickups, if not for the selling job I'm going to have to do with her.

Secondary use will be extended summer camping trips with FOUR people total.  The SUV seems more congenial for a trip to Yellowstone; CCPU better for the more difficult situations.

Regarding the need for a BOV:  I think anyone who lives in a populated area needs that option.  I live 70 miles north of the Mex border.  Local officials prep for things like infectious outbreaks crossing the border, etc.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#34]
BTW the wife's preference would be an ACURA MDX.  Size is right; engine good; AWD.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's say 4 people.

Thanks!

Pickups:

SUV

Wife and two kids; bugging out.  I wouldn't normally ask for advice on a commuting vehicle on this particular forum.

Not sure where you got the idea I was looking for the coolest solution, or even for consensus.  It would be most helpful to read the reasons people chose what they chose, and how it's working out for them.  Then I can figure out which situations most suit mine.  Altho I've been here for almost 12 years, this is my first venture into vehicle questions.  Thanks to all those who have explained their choices.
ETA There is the possibility of five people, but many of the crew cabs I've looked at could hold three in the back seat if necessary.  Also, to the guy who "compromised" with his wife and got what she wanted–– I'm not far from this situation myself.  I would be concentrating on crew cab pickups, if not for the selling job I'm going to have to do with her.

Secondary use will be extended summer camping trips with FOUR people total.  The SUV seems more congenial for a trip to Yellowstone; CCPU better for the more difficult situations.

Regarding the need for a BOV:  I think anyone who lives in a populated area needs that option.  I live 70 miles north of the Mex border.  Local officials prep for things like infectious outbreaks crossing the border, etc.

Any 5 seat vehicle is going to get real small with 5 people in it.

I've had an extended cab pickup with a wife and 2 kids.  It works ok.  If you or your wife has never had to live has never had a pickup before, then it can be very traumatic for the luggage to ride "outside."  I grew up with pickups, and my wife had not...there was drama over the luggage.  

The MDX may be too small to camp out of; tent, sleeping bags, camp stove, ice chest, water, clothes all take up space.  The volume adds up really quickly.

What if you get pregnant again?  Do you want this vehicle to have some growing room?

ETA

I hope that these may help

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/638462_I_missed_a_few_good_threads__AAR_and_pics__I_donwsized_the_pics_to_try_to_help_out_those_on_dialup_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/622484_Folks_hellp_me_prep_the_new_BOV___fifth_set_of_pics_up_June_25.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/624413_So_I_put_together_a_WECSOG_roof_rack___pics___now_with_aar.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/624240_BOV_pm_and_tax_deduction_training_with_pics.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/618552_BOV_Tool_Kit_updated_56K_may_want_to_make_coffee_How_To__.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/612762_BOV_pit_stop______several_pics.html

And PM sent

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's say 4 people.

Thanks!

Pickups:

SUV

The way I looked at it is that I can always expand with an SUV.  There is always the option of straping things to the roof, buying a trailer, or using one of the rear hitch mounted baskets.  

At the end of the day an enclosed area to haul around all the kid and baby stuff along with the kids just wasnt feasible in a crew cab truck.  When you are talking about strollers and diaper bags they cant live in th ebed of a pick up truck.  So I had to consider that also.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've had an extended cab pickup with a wife and 2 kids.  It works ok.  If you or your wife has never had to live has never had a pickup before, then it can be very traumatic for the luggage to ride "outside."  I grew up with pickups, and my wife had not...there was drama over the luggage.  

Quoted:
The way I looked at it is that I can always expand with an SUV.  There is always the option of straping things to the roof, buying a trailer, or using one of the rear hitch mounted baskets.  

At the end of the day an enclosed area to haul around all the kid and baby stuff along with the kids just wasnt feasible in a crew cab truck.  When you are talking about strollers and diaper bags they cant live in the bed of a pick up truck.  So I had to consider that also.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

Quoted:

Let's say 4 people.

Thanks!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope this helps

on my 08 chevy extended cab the rear seat can fold. the Driver side back can stay a seat will the the rest of the seat can be folded. its basically a 2/3 seat. 3 in front 1 in back(3+1=4), 2/3 of the rear seat folded. i hope that made since it did in my head.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

quote tree

on my 08 chevy extended cab the rear seat can fold. the Driver side back can stay a seat will the the rest of the seat can be folded. its basically a 2/3 seat. 3 in front 1 in back(3+1=4), 2/3 of the rear seat folded. i hope that made since it did in my head.

The 2000 I had was 3 or 0 for the back seat.  Then when car seats for little ones were installed, they pretty much locked the seat in place

Having a 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 rear seat could be really nice.

Riding shoulder to shoulder is still quite cozy though and best left for short trips

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#40]
No offense, but how is putting luggage in the bed of a pickup is "traumatic"?  Have you (or your spouse if that's who your blaming it on) never heard of garbage bags?  You know, fairly large plastic bags that you can buy cheap in any store in America.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

No offense, but how is putting luggage in the bed of a pickup is "traumatic"?  Have you (or your spouse if that's who your blaming it on) never heard of garbage bags?  You know, fairly large plastic bags that you can buy cheap in any store in America.  

Yes I have heard of garbage bags, and rubermaid, and contico, and epic big ice chests.  Any of those things will keep your things dry.

Hint ... I was not the one with the epic long face and the OMGOMGPOKALIPSBBQ attitude about putting cargo in the bed of the pickup

Some folks just have issues don't ask me to explain why

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
quote tree

The 2000 I had was 3 or 0 for the back seat.  Then when car seats for little ones were installed, they pretty much locked the seat in place

Riding shoulder to shoulder is still quite cozy though and best left for short trips

Ahh but u never said comfortably u just said you wanted to no how to do it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

quote tree

Ahh but u never said comfortably u just said you wanted to no how to do it.

With tired little ones .... comfort takes on some value

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I have heard of garbage bags, and rubermaid, and contico, and epic big ice chests.  Any of those things will keep your things dry.

Hint ... I was not the one with the epic long face and the OMGOMGPOKALIPSBBQ attitude about putting cargo in the bed of the pickup

No, you're were the one saying it was "traumatic";

Quoted:
[SNIP]
Pickups:
[SNIP

Plus you're the only one making a mountain out of molehill.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#45]
My '09 Dodge has this 2/3 rear seat you speak of....I have my little man's carseat in the 1/3 behind my seat so if needed I can fold up 2/3's of the rear seat and load storage in with the kiddo. Front has two NICE bucket seats, but the middle armrest/storage thing also wings up and has a third seat belt. It would be kinda snug because the middle doesn't move fore and aft to adjust for legroom. I also keep several (like a whole roll) of those big-ass contractor garbage bags. If needed I can remove the kiddo's carseat, put in a garbage bag and either put it in the bed or the toolbox in the back to use the whole back seat when Jr. isn't riding along.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around here it is still legal for people to ride in the bed of the truck. That leaves more room up front for me and the dog.

When TSHTF, I doubt anyone will care about it being legal or not to have people in back.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you're were the one saying it was "traumatic";
Quoted:

[SNIP]

Pickups:

[SNIP

Plus you're the only one making a mountain out of molehill.

In your first post you asked if me or my spouse had never heard of garbage bags.  I answered you.  I also gave you a hint as to whether it was me or my spouse that had an issue about where the luggage rode.  Maybe the OP and his spouse do not have any issues...I don't know...the OP has to live with his wife and whatever vehicle he gets...the more the OP knows the more likely he is to get a vehicle that works well for them.

Like I said before some folks have issues.  For some folks "new" ideas can be traumatic.  Perhaps instead of saying "this is traumatic" I should have said " this can be traumatic."

That I tell you that my wife freaked about where the luggage rode appears to be traumatic for you.  Maybe mow you can understand what I mean with the word traumatic.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#48]
One consideration of SUV versus a crew cab pickup that I didn't see mentioned is that of towing capacity. If you plan on towing anything substantial in addition to cargo, I think a pickup gives you much greater capability than an SUV. I especially recommend that you consider getting a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck vice a 1/2 ton. I have an F-150 which is grossly underpowered for the stuff I need to tow. Back in July I towed a John Deere 950 tractor on a 16 foot flatbed utility trailer from Louisiana to North Carolina. I had a hard time maintaining highway speeds and even pulling the hills around Birmingham and Atlanta.

I had deluded myself with what the F-150 was capable of and had even thought of installing a ball in the bed for a gooseneck livestock trailer. After my trek pulling the tractor my delusions were crushed.

I am now looking for an older inexpensive F-350 diesel to pull a livestock trailer, etc. I am not concerned much about bugging out. We live on 10 acres in rural NC. My wife and I are retired and busy getting our little homestead as self sufficient as possible.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When TSHTF, I doubt anyone will care about it being legal or not to have people in back.

Say you evac from NH to Kansas city 3 days ago to avoid the hurricane that is hitting NH now.  It would be very unpleasant to be fined several hundred dollars for seat belt violations, not to mention possibly being tossed in the slammer for child endangerment if you were hauling kids without car seats.

Sure there are times for emergency measures, but buying a vehicle with the plan to regularly use emergency measures is probably a poor plan.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say you evac from NH to Kansas city 3 days ago to avoid the hurricane that is hitting NH now.  It would be very unpleasant to be fined several hundred dollars for seat belt violations, not to mention possibly being tossed in the slammer for child endangerment if you were hauling kids without car seats.

Sure there are times for emergency measures, but buying a vehicle with the plan to regularly use emergency measures is probably a poor plan.  

Not to mention it would be really, really cold riding back there this time of year at highway speeds. Ask me how I know
Back when I was growing up, it was not only LEGAL to put your kids in the bed of the truck, it was the way to keep the cab a little quieter for the adults
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top