Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 3:32:54 AM EDT
At over current local prices of over 10 bucks a gallon I've decided to plant about 30 strawberries to pick next year. Is it of any value to go ahead and prep the dirt and put the plants in this late in the year, or would it be better to wait until next spring? I'm in zone 7 in the Triad of NC.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:36:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:43:05 AM EDT
I know here in Indiana you won't have any trouble. But I  am certainly behind you in zones.  I wouldn't think you would have any trouble either. Just pick any blossoms that pop up this first spring and don't let them get to berries and you will have better yields next year. Also you want to make sure you only have two or three runners from each plant and that will give you better results in the future as well. The runners are easy to see if you keep the weeds down...something I had a very hard time of my first year

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:03:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:12:36 AM EDT
Dumb phone Internet double tap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:23:04 PM EDT
Quoted:
At over current local prices of over 10 bucks a gallon I've decided to plant about 30 strawberries to pick next year. Is it of any value to go ahead and prep the dirt and put the plants in this late in the year, or would it be better to wait until next spring? I'm in zone 7 in the Triad of NC.

I'll join the crowd that says to go ahead and plant them this year, now if possible.  You MIGHT be able to find some in the fall.  Either way, don't expect to harvest much until the second year.  In fact, it is recommended to pick the blooms and runners off for the first year.  This should give you strong healthy plants that will bloom up a storm and put out lots of berries next spring.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:39:14 PM EDT
weed block and pine straw is your friend...
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:09:48 PM EDT
Well you talked me into it. Now to find some decent looking plants around here. Most look pretty bad at the nurseries.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:21:20 PM EDT
Quoted:
weed block and pine straw is your friend...

Yep, you want to keep the berries up off the ground.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:21:24 PM EDT
An older gentleman told me to use ground up corn cobs for strawberry mulch. He said not to use regular wood mulch because of one type of wood that may be present in the mulch that could kill the strawberry plants, Anybody know what type of wood that is?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:54:36 PM EDT
Quoted:
An older gentleman told me to use ground up corn cobs for strawberry mulch. He said not to use regular wood mulch because of one type of wood that may be present in the mulch that could kill the strawberry plants, Anybody know what type of wood that is?

He was probably referring to walnut, which contains a compound called juglone that is toxic to many plants, humans and other animals.

Juglone

An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.