Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 2:37:24 PM EDT
Lots of us have spare SKSs set back for relatives or handouts. So for a serious discusion on gruop size, I picked this forum. Today I shot my Russian SKS with and with out a sling. Four shot gruops at two SR1 targets at 100 yards. Wolf ammo and found a surplus sling that coulds function like a GI type. Sling is attached to barrel and gas tube. This and a solid wood stock seemed to be fairly stiff. I also let the barrels cool a bit between shots. I was expecting the gruops zero to wander by using the sling. It seemed to help by about 6 inches. Down from 18 to 12 inch spread.It has been years since I have shot one and wanted to know what to expect.
Killer part was after trying so hard to shoot good gruops some Bubba walks up slaps a mag in a Mak 90 and starts shooting Coke bottles on the berm. My jaw dropped.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep,Not all fo us bubba types are three shot a year fudds,some can and actually do shoot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont know much about the russian sks rifles, having never owned one, but if you have funds available pick up a yugo sks in the best grade you can afford before they are gone. I have a romainian sks that shoots about 12 moa @ 100 yrds, but the worst yugo I have is less than half that with wolf ammo, and I have a yugo that is an honest 3 moa gun using a shooting sling and with the bayonet extended. That rifle shot well when I first got it but it looked like crap. I had a friend of mine bed the action, park the metal and refinish the stock and it would be one of the last guns I would sell if I ever needed money.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The Norinco and Russian SKSs I've had in the past have been very accurate rifles.  Not AR accurate, but better than most (all?) AK variants I've tried.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of Yugos in the orginal cosmo. Maybe I'll dig them out and see if there is a diference. Helped a guy with his car once and he gave me a Chinnese. Best to see what they can do before being needed. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a chinese SKS that shoots <6 MOA with stock sights.
I had to get an aftermarket stock for it though.  with the short Chinese stock I kept punching myself in the face every shot
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#6]
My unissued yugo with new Tech sights and trigger job can do 3 inches with Barnual FMJ consistantly. With Wolf BB and Winnie white box I usually get 6-8 inches. No idea why. Ken
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
My yugo is a 4-5 MOA gun
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Man I need to pick one up for a truck gun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
My SKS D ( thumbhole stock, short barrel, takes AK mags) can do 5 MOA, which I am ecstatic with. Anything that puts you inside minute of bad guy with an SKS is good to go. These were never designed to be a high prescision rifle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My yugo is a 4-5 MOA gun

Thats probably about par for the yugos, at least in my experience. I have over a dozen yugos, one alby, one romanian, three chicoms and on average the yugos are by far the most accurate. I have dies, I just need to get some brass and bullets and try to reload for the one pictured above just to see how accurate it can be.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Man I need to pick one up for a truck gun.

Not to rush you or anything, but dont wait too much longer. The better grades are going way up in price. I noticed in my latest SGN that the shooter grades are going for more now than the excellent/unissuied were going for not long ago.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
       I have always wondered about mine. I have a yugo that was unissued so the bore is minty. When I first cleaned it up it was shooting 6 or 8 MOA , possibly 5 with win white but I was straining with the sights (53 YO eyes!)
       I mounted a Lyman peep but have only shot it on a casual basis since then.
       I need to get a bunch of ammos and go for some groups with the bayo open and closed from prone and see where I am at .
       I have not got around to it because I intended to have somebody do some work on the trigger which is quite rough.
       A buddy has an ugly Russian  or Chinese that his dad bought years back for $59 .
Bore is poor looking , stock is fairly solid but a mess of patches and dings , but the trigger is actually pretty good . I can shoot it noticeably better than my gun even with the crummy issue sights . I offered a trade which my bud would have jumped for but for the family connection .

Worse SKS I ever shot was still better by half than the POS Ruger Ranch that I bought factory new and dumped a pile of money into .
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a pair of Norincos, one unissued and one well-used that I picked up when they were going for $49 and $89. They both shoot well within minute of bad guy and are a whole lot of fun to shoot. I restocked the used one with a plastic stock because the issue one was split. If only ammo wasn't so damn expensive I shoot them a whole lot more.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Gibbon was that stock from ATI? I do not want to sink a lot of money into this, just want to make best use of what I have. I like the Dragonov stock types. The short SKS stocks may be a plus for young or female shooters.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#15]
fiannafal
I have this stock:
Cheaper than dirt has SKS stocks for ~$40 right now.
I like that it folds for easy transport, but is still solid enough to not rattle around.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Having shot Service Riflew in NRA shoots, I am used to using a sling to reduce gruop size. Do not see how a folding plastic stock will hold zero under pressure of a sling. My Fals will change zero if used with a sling as most have a sling attached to the barrel. Also bipods will change zero also. May be hard to tell with Wolf Ammo and combined with aSKS. Thanks for the response!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't have a bipod, so I wouldn't know about that bit.
I do have a sling, and considering that the part of the stock that folds isn't the part that the action is mated to, holding zero hasn't been an issue for me. YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top