Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/7/2007 1:37:24 PM EST
Lots of us have spare SKSs set back for relatives or handouts. So for a serious discusion on gruop size, I picked this forum. Today I shot my Russian SKS with and with out a sling. Four shot gruops at two SR1 targets at 100 yards. Wolf ammo and found a surplus sling that coulds function like a GI type. Sling is attached to barrel and gas tube. This and a solid wood stock seemed to be fairly stiff. I also let the barrels cool a bit between shots. I was expecting the gruops zero to wander by using the sling. It seemed to help by about 6 inches. Down from 18 to 12 inch spread.It has been years since I have shot one and wanted to know what to expect.
Killer part was after trying so hard to shoot good gruops some Bubba walks up slaps a mag in a Mak 90 and starts shooting Coke bottles on the berm. My jaw dropped.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:28:58 PM EST
Yep,Not all fo us bubba types are three shot a year fudds,some can and actually do shoot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:17:05 PM EST
Dont know much about the russian sks rifles, having never owned one, but if you have funds available pick up a yugo sks in the best grade you can afford before they are gone. I have a romainian sks that shoots about 12 moa @ 100 yrds, but the worst yugo I have is less than half that with wolf ammo, and I have a yugo that is an honest 3 moa gun using a shooting sling and with the bayonet extended. That rifle shot well when I first got it but it looked like crap. I had a friend of mine bed the action, park the metal and refinish the stock and it would be one of the last guns I would sell if I ever needed money.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:09:26 PM EST
The Norinco and Russian SKSs I've had in the past have been very accurate rifles. Not AR accurate, but better than most (all?) AK variants I've tried.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:11:57 PM EST
I have a couple of Yugos in the orginal cosmo. Maybe I'll dig them out and see if there is a diference. Helped a guy with his car once and he gave me a Chinnese. Best to see what they can do before being needed. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:30:26 PM EST
I have a chinese SKS that shoots <6 MOA with stock sights.
I had to get an aftermarket stock for it though. with the short Chinese stock I kept punching myself in the face every shot
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:14:16 AM EST
My unissued yugo with new Tech sights and trigger job can do 3 inches with Barnual FMJ consistantly. With Wolf BB and Winnie white box I usually get 6-8 inches. No idea why. Ken
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:20:55 AM EST
My yugo is a 4-5 MOA gun
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:03:51 AM EST
Man I need to pick one up for a truck gun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:53:39 AM EST
My SKS D ( thumbhole stock, short barrel, takes AK mags) can do 5 MOA, which I am ecstatic with. Anything that puts you inside minute of bad guy with an SKS is good to go. These were never designed to be a high prescision rifle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:19:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By Badass03:
My yugo is a 4-5 MOA gun

Thats probably about par for the yugos, at least in my experience. I have over a dozen yugos, one alby, one romanian, three chicoms and on average the yugos are by far the most accurate. I have dies, I just need to get some brass and bullets and try to reload for the one pictured above just to see how accurate it can be.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:22:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
Man I need to pick one up for a truck gun.

Not to rush you or anything, but dont wait too much longer. The better grades are going way up in price. I noticed in my latest SGN that the shooter grades are going for more now than the excellent/unissuied were going for not long ago.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:00:30 PM EST
I have always wondered about mine. I have a yugo that was unissued so the bore is minty. When I first cleaned it up it was shooting 6 or 8 MOA , possibly 5 with win white but I was straining with the sights (53 YO eyes!)
I mounted a Lyman peep but have only shot it on a casual basis since then.
I need to get a bunch of ammos and go for some groups with the bayo open and closed from prone and see where I am at .
I have not got around to it because I intended to have somebody do some work on the trigger which is quite rough.
A buddy has an ugly Russian or Chinese that his dad bought years back for $59 .
Bore is poor looking , stock is fairly solid but a mess of patches and dings , but the trigger is actually pretty good . I can shoot it noticeably better than my gun even with the crummy issue sights . I offered a trade which my bud would have jumped for but for the family connection .

Worse SKS I ever shot was still better by half than the POS Ruger Ranch that I bought factory new and dumped a pile of money into .
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:33:09 PM EST
I have a pair of Norincos, one unissued and one well-used that I picked up when they were going for $49 and $89. They both shoot well within minute of bad guy and are a whole lot of fun to shoot. I restocked the used one with a plastic stock because the issue one was split. If only ammo wasn't so damn expensive I shoot them a whole lot more.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:06:57 PM EST
Gibbon was that stock from ATI? I do not want to sink a lot of money into this, just want to make best use of what I have. I like the Dragonov stock types. The short SKS stocks may be a plus for young or female shooters.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:17:26 PM EST
fiannafal
I have this stock:
Cheaper than dirt has SKS stocks for ~$40 right now.
I like that it folds for easy transport, but is still solid enough to not rattle around.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:41:26 PM EST
Having shot Service Riflew in NRA shoots, I am used to using a sling to reduce gruop size. Do not see how a folding plastic stock will hold zero under pressure of a sling. My Fals will change zero if used with a sling as most have a sling attached to the barrel. Also bipods will change zero also. May be hard to tell with Wolf Ammo and combined with aSKS. Thanks for the response!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:52:50 AM EST
I don't have a bipod, so I wouldn't know about that bit.
I do have a sling, and considering that the part of the stock that folds isn't the part that the action is mated to, holding zero hasn't been an issue for me. YMMV
Top Top