Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 6:18:48 PM EST
What is your ideal transportation for SHTF? Do you want a 4x4 pickup or do you want a SUV? Prefer diesel or unleaded? V8 or inline 6? Are you going Mad Max on an old Bronco, or do you want a shiny new H2 so the Zombie blood washes off easily? Do you want something smaller like an ATV or something old-school like a horse/mule? Maybe you want to GTFO as quickly as possible and you want a 'Vette.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:51:44 PM EST
Large SUV type. Diesel, 4x4. With a big 50gal tank in it.

My granddad had a gmc suburban like that. It was the bomb.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:58:28 PM EST
depends on the incident.

good ole horse will pretty much get you through everything though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:00:20 PM EST
It is going to vary from person to person. Where we live, how we live, how many of us live together are all factors. My only hard and fast preference for a major SHTF/Teotwaki is fuel type. Diesel. Not as in demand and all that abandoned construction equipment has some in it. I think the ultimate BOV is a multifuel capable duece. Unfortunately, it is out of my price range at this time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:07:19 PM EST
If there was a gas shortage a horse would be the ticket. For a bug out a diesel 4x4 with a tow package would be my preference. If it's a Zombie situation I'll find myself a humvee and expend some .50cal rounds. If I was Will Smith in I am legend a Ferrari takes the cake.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:39:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Tortious:
What is your ideal transportation for SHTF? Do you want a 4x4 pickup or do you want a SUV? Prefer diesel or unleaded? V8 or inline 6? Are you going Mad Max on an old Bronco, or do you want a shiny new H2 so the Zombie blood washes off easily? Do you want something smaller like an ATV or something old-school like a horse/mule? Maybe you want to GTFO as quickly as possible and you want a 'Vette.

I take it that you have not been lurking the SF much?

What is your ideal transportation for SHTF?

A Bug Out Vehicle

A BOV is different things to different folks.

Some folks think that a jeep with 18 inches of lift is the only way to go.
In before Ops says "Go Diesel or Go Home."
TJ had a real nice Mustang for a BOV until a tree crushed the car.
There is a member that uses a H3 BOV; this really excites the overzealous Jeepers.

When all is said and done; the vehicle you have when the emergency happens IS your BOV. What if you Build the perfect MadMax Jeep that gets 6 mpg, so you drive a Smart Car to work to save on gas? Some event happens while you are at work and everybody freaks out and bugs out. There you are in your Smart BOV with the perfect MadMax monster truck miles and hours away from you at home.

Maybe it would be better to have a more modest truck that you could drive to work every day so you have the truck when you need it.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:44:51 AM EST
So say ALL the roads & bridges are closed & your BOL is 100-500 miles away.. no matter that you have fuel or not- you can't get to it...
My BACKUP BOV is a biplane... I'm an old Crop Duster & can land & take it off in places that you would not believe.. If there are some pilots on here that have ever flown around the back country in Idaho, they know what I mean..
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:52:47 AM EST
5 o'clock rush hour determines your bov.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:06:46 AM EST
E150 Ford Van. Carries lots of stuff discreetly and because that's what I happen to have.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:15:04 AM EST
Im a big fan of small to midsized, 4 door trucks with 4WD.

1. Carries multiple people
2. Has decent amount of cargo room
3. Off road capable
4. Not too big (I have friends with huge ass trucks and they cant go anywhere casue they are too big)
5. Relativley decent gas mileage (compared to size)

Currently Im looking to buy a Dakota Quad Cab.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:21:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 12:22:47 PM EST by thederrick106]
What I have: 1998 Jeep grand cherokee on 33s and a 1998 Jeep wrangler on 33s. Both have the same engines, same axles, same size tires, etc... The only thing not similar is the trannys, t-cases, and suspension systems... But if SHTF/TEOTWAWKI I dont plan on trying to fix trannys or replace suspension components.

My suggestion is to have a reliable vehicle that you are farmilar with... know how to check the air filter, change the oil, change the belts etc.... Wether its a Subaru outback, Hyundai accent, Jeep wrangler or duece and half, the vehicle that you have, and you are farmiliar with will better serve you then anything else IMO.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:31:42 PM EST
If you are still burning liquid petroleum fuels, rolling pneumatic tires, then the SHIT has NOT hit the fan.
Transportation after the balloon goes up will be bipedal, think a good pair of boots.
My choice for SHTF transport is a pair of Danner Ft Lewis boots, and a spare pair of wool socks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:41:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:54:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 12:54:39 PM EST by Gettingthat]
I have been looking a an early 70's Chevy Deisel 4x4...Would like a camper on it, but might feel a little restricted...But a lumber rack and a good tarp would make a great place to sleep...2nd tank on it and your money...at least for a while...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:58:38 PM EST
I have a stable full of bicycles to choose from. And a 40 mile one way trip as a BO route. Which includes a ferry ride on a normal day, or paying a whole Krugerrand for a boat ride in a real SHTF.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:20:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:37:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gettingthat:
I have been looking a an early 70's Chevy Deisel 4x4...Would like a camper on it, but might feel a little restricted...But a lumber rack and a good tarp would make a great place to sleep...2nd tank on it and your money...at least for a while...

keep looking post pics when you find one.

GM did not build diesel pickups until the late 1970s
the first year the 6.2 was available was 1981 or 1982.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:11:52 PM EST
Decisions, decisions!!!!!

Let's see....Dodge 2500 crew-cab Cummins 4x4 with 2' lift and 35s and auxillary fuel tank/tool box in bed. Check! Hummer H3 with Adventure package (larger tires, tougher suspension, lockers, etc), snorkel, roof rack and other mods. Check! Three hay-burners out in the back pasture along with enough tack to choke a horse (OK, that was a bad choice of words). Check! Pair of Kawasaki Bayou 300s with Super Swampers and rifle scabbards on them. Check! Old '86 Honda XL600R Dual Sport (still looks and runs like new....such a bullet-proof bike!!). Check! Super-stealthy "tactical" (inside joke) EZ-Go golf cart with A/T tires and a solar charger for it. Check! I think I got the bases covered.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:17:24 PM EST

Who took a chunk out of the mule's ass??!!

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:31:46 PM EST
At least Chaca's Horses will work after an EMP.

as well as mine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:54:29 PM EST
ri
Originally Posted By Tortious:

Right at the moment my BOV/only vehicle is a 99f250....now im looking for a good cucv blazer and maybe a cucv pickup. those will be my EOTWAWKI rides
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:56:00 PM EST
I keep my bicycle in the back of my vehicle 8 months of the year, and do at least one 16-20 mile ride a week so I've got the legs to get somewhere if my vehicle can't get me any further.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:56:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By PA22-400:

<snip>

Was it the GM 6.2 that had a poor reputation?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:41:53 PM EST
Chevy K3500 4x4 six pac 350 and 4L80e . Gets descent milage for a 6500 lb truck . 10k warn winch front 8k rear hold 32 galons of fuel plus five jerry cans mounted in bed. Soft toper canvas canopy. 2000w inverter for 110v. 1 red top optima and 2 yellows for the inverter and winchs and a 150 amp ho alternator. Lift kit and trailer comming soon.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:51:34 PM EST

With my 6'x6' box trailer on a 3500lb axle and 285/75s

Or my 02 Grand Cherokee limited......depending on where Me and my family need to go.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:53:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By monkeyman:
E150 Ford Van. Carries lots of stuff discreetly and because that's what I happen to have.

I would love a 4x4 E350 with a 7.3 but they are hard as hell to find and expensive.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:25:03 PM EST
Australia has some awesome BOV, I was awestruck when I saw some of these rides! Snorkels, roof racks, some with tents.

Camper Land Cruisers that are set up for the outback so all you need is to go to the grocery and head out.

Diesel, gas, lifted, GPS, dual batteries, you name it, they have made it. Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Hummer, they all have factory off road packages that are awesome!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:52:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By nihilsum:

<snip>

That depends.....

The 6.2 is a Detroit Diesel product, they know diesel well enough to make one, that was sold for light trucks under the Chevy and GMC badges. GM owned Detroit Diesel at the time.

Ops has a 6.2 with a lot of miles on it that is still going. The U.S. .mil bought the 6.2 by the double-fistful and has run them since the 80s in HMMWV, M1008, and M1009 trucks. The issues are known and the fixes are published on some forums.

The 6.2 was enlarged into the 6.5 and turbocharged. The new HMMWVs get a non-turbo 6.5 now I think.

The 6.5 apparently could not keep up with the EPA and the power race with Dodge and Ford, so the Duramax replaced the 6.5 for civilian use.

Now way back when in the late 70s GM converted the 350 Chevy to diesel and called the engine an Oldsmobile 5.7 diesel.

Remember that the 350(gas) Chevy is the most popular version of the Chevy Small Block, now called Gen 1 Small Block. The Small Block was marketed by Chevy first in the 1950s, but it had deeper roots in GM. The Small Block was designed to be a light weight engine for Cadillac

So in the mid/late 1970s GM took a light weight gas engine and converted it to diesel. Diesel needs more metal in places that the 350 did not have. GM's efforts were not successful at building a diesel that worked well. This 5.7 diesel has tainted GM's name with diesels so badly that GM may never be able to sell a diesel under it's own name again

Remember the Duramax was developed by Isuzu, and GM owns Isuzu.

TJ may be able to add more

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:58:57 PM EST
Well my current BOV is a 95 honda civic It gets 40mpg on the highway with a trunk full of guns n ammo and two adults Or its a 93 two wheel drive cummins, I wish it was 4x4 but the price was right $0.00

I get the "jeeps" real bad every now and then, but I always seem to fend them off

PTK
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:46:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By nihilsum:

<snip>

mostly because of lack of power......the real bad ones were the 5.7 diesels....just a 350 converted and were junk
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:05:01 AM EST
Nothing new or fancy:
Vechicle 1 = '89 Chevy V3500 Crew Cab 1 Ton 4X4, 5.5" Lift, recentered Humvee rims w/run flats, 4.10 gears, dual tanks, Warn 12k winch etc...

#2 = '88 K5 Blazer, 1 ton axles 4.88 gears detriot lockers f/r, need to make a decision on lift want to keep it low so probably3-4" lift and 33-35" tires.

Also have 3 built Jeeps but if I have to leave these will get left behind as i cant fit all my crap in them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:43:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By Gettingthat:

keep looking post pics when you find one.

Damn...didnt want to go that new, but thatnks for the info...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:39:47 AM EST
The one I own...

F250 Super Duty Quad Cab 4x4, 30+50+30 gallons of fuel, HAM Radio, F/R Limited Slips, Heavey Springs, Air Bags, Gooseneck hitch for the Bug Out Trailer, recovery gear, 2 man cross cut saw, lots of lighting. Ridgid JobSite Box for securing items that nobody else needs to see.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:36:39 PM EST
not sure who did that, probablly a fight at the hay manger. The real thing to note is what the horses are tied to...had to make a pit stop on the road
Top Top